Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gas or electric oven

Options
  • 21-07-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on two points please re ovens and one on hobs.

First: Which gives better results, ie distribution of heat?
    Second: Which one would cost more to run, ESB electric or Bord Gais Gas?
    Hob : A pot of water will boil quicker on which hob, gas or electric?

Cooker on last legs, and we need to decide which one to buy.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't know about relative costs but I'd recommend a fan (electric) oven and a gas hob, best of breed in both cases IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Personally I think a fan assisted electric oven with a gas hob is the ideal set up in a kitchen. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two running costs in terms of ovens I think anyway. I would imagine though an electric hob would use more power then a gas hob. But I find gas more controllable on the hob then electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - Moved to Home Appliances

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Same as above posts, gas hob and electric oven. Gas hob is easier to regulate than electric. And you can still cook your dinner if you have no electricity.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thank you everyone for replying.
    I have a gas hob and an electric oven, and as far as ease of use is concerned I do think it is the best combination.
    What I was really wondering was if there was much of a difference in running costs between gas and electricity.
    Given our massive bills, I suppose it's swings and roundabouts and I'll stick with my current combo and buy a new electric oven.
    Now, I don't suppose anyone can recommend the quietest washing machine? Will open new thread for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement