Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

penalty points in waterford

• 21-07-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

so who on here has penalty points and how many do you have

i know there are roads which people disagree with speed limits in waterford so was wondering if anyone has been caught out as a result

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

so who on here has penalty points and how many do you have

i know there are roads which people disagree with speed limits in waterford so was wondering if anyone has been caught out as a result

Got 2 recently on the R680 (Portlaw road) near coolfin. They seem to be there regularly, pulled into one of the farmers gateways. I've heard of quite a few people getting caught there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I've none thankfully but I am a fairly slow driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Most people I know that have gotten 'em are pulled over between John's Park and the Airport Road. They park the car up behind the huge rocks next to the salvage shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

Most people I know that have gotten 'em are pulled over between John's Park and the Airport Road. They park the car up behind the huge rocks next to the salvage shop.

yeah so i hear

how about yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A couple of weeks back I saw one just past the car park at Newtown Cove. That would be a dangerous stretch of road to be speeding on, so fair play on picking a decent location for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

None

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Got 2 points for going through an amber light at the mall a few years ago by an unmarked car. To make things worse I didn't have my licence with me.

Also got 2 points for dangerous overtaking outside Lemybrien. Thankfully its been over 3 years and I have zero points. :D

Its very hard to speed around Waterford city anyway with all the speed bumps that are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

I have 2 for using my mobile !!!. I was stoped in traffic and stupid motor bike cop still gave em to me. Was the fine i was pissed about :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have 2 for using my mobile !!!. I was stoped in traffic and stupid motor bike cop still gave em to me. Was the fine i was pissed about :mad:

The offence is for holding a mobile, not using a mobile. Just because you were stopped in traffic doesn't mean you don't deserve them. Anyone using a mobile while driving deserves them (i've a bluetooth radio).

No points myself. yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

did not say i did not deserve them i said i was mad at the fine. was mad at myself for been so stupid. Maybe u should not jump to conclusions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

The offence is for holding a mobile, not using a mobile. Just because you were stopped in traffic doesn't mean you don't deserve them. Anyone using a mobile while driving deserves them (i've a bluetooth radio).

No points myself. yet...

A bit snobbish...stopped in traffic and getting PP is a joke in fairness. If the person was actually driving the car and got stopped fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

the speed limit on the ring road is some load of bolocks

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

kkdela6 wrote: »
    the speed limit on the ring road is some load of bolocks

I agree big time, where I got Penalty Points :( Sure **** it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

the speed limit on the ring road is some load of bollocks

Yeah way too slow for such a good road

its hard trying to stay at 60 going down that road in my john deere with a big trailer full of spuds. ya just want to let loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Anyone notice the amount of pedestrians warning cars coming up to the speed vans has increased a lot?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Most people are fairly sound in that they'd flash ya if your coming towards a speed van and stuff. does anyone know if thats legal or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Most people are fairly sound in that they'd flash ya if your coming towards a speed van and stuff. does anyone know if thats legal or not?

A few times I've noticed when coming into Tramore there's a squad car parked up close to the roundabout facing the Tramore road. This is only on days when the speed van is on the Tramore road itself. They could be looking for people speeding as well or people flashing maybe?

Also anyone ever see a guard with a speed gun standing in the middle of road at the end of the long stretch on the outer ring road. The long stretch just after that empty estate they built. So hard to see I was going about 80-90kph on that behind a car that must have been doing over 100kph(after overtaking another car) he got caught and they guard gave me a dirty look :p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

None so far, I'd be fairly respectful of speed limits, generally only push on when I'm on the motorway and even then I'd rarely be going that hard.

(or in the case of the M9, the on-ramps and hard shoulders where one particular Mullinavat based Garda seems to camp.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Got two there last week on Sallypark - first ever in 14 years of driving.

Like others on this thread, I hold my hands up, and am p155ed off with my own stupidity for not sticking to the speed limit. I knew damn well it was a favourite hang-out of the po-lice.

Notwithstanding that, the speed limit there is ridiculous. Wouldn't mind if they pulled everyone there, but when I'm sticking to 50 along there now, I get overtaken at speed by everyone. :rolleyes:

They should either pull all those drivers over, or else change the fcuking limit to something more suitable to the road. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

dazftw wrote: »
    Anyone notice the amount of pedestrians warning cars coming up to the speed vans has increased a lot?

Ive found the opposite, I thought the number of motorists giving a warning flash was gone way down. One night a friend of mine, passed a gatso van on the tramore road, and was so eager to warn other motorists that they flashed their lights at a Garda car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

None yet but I'm afraid I'll be caught out on the ORR one of these days. 60kph is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Got two on the Williamstown Road myself. Was stuck behind a woman in her fifties who was going about 35 kmph all the way from The Anchorage until she turned into Grantstown Village. I was rushing for work and allowed myself be frustrated by her. Sped up, went over the brow of the hill and spotted the guard at the bottom of the hill with the gun. Slowed down but I was already done. I was in the wrong so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Got nabbed in Feb 2006 for speeding coming out of Cork near the Cobh exit, was doing 70mph, got two points and €80 fine.
    The slate was wiped clean after 3 years and havent had any since, tap tap (touch wood)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rayc wrote: »
    Got 2 recently on the R680 (Portlaw road) near coolfin. They seem to be there regularly, pulled into one of the farmers gateways. I've heard of quite a few people getting caught there too.

When I used to drive the Portlaw road to work the Gardai used to do speed checks on it at least 3 times a week.

No points and only ever stopped by Gardai at checkpoints when they check tax, insurance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

STIG83 wrote: »
    Got nabbed in Feb 2006 for speeding coming out of Cork near the Cobh exit, was doing 70mph, got two points and €80 fine.
    The slate was wiped clean after 3 years and havent had any since, tap tap (touch wood)

That is now a 120 kmph (72mph) zone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I remmeber someone rang up Deise AM before to suggest they raise the speed limit on the ORR. Billy went mental and said its just an easier way for deaths to occur. He had 4 people call in and all of them agreed it should be raised, including a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Roanmore wrote: »
    That is now a 120 kmph (72mph) zone :(

Yeah I noticed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I remmeber someone rang up Deise AM before to suggest they raise the speed limit on the ORR. Billy went mental and said its just an easier way for deaths to occur. He had 4 people call in and all of them agreed it should be raised, including a guard.

people can be killed at 60Km/H just as easily as 80Km/H. it has been proven that a deviation of speed from the mean that makes a road dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    A bit snobbish...stopped in traffic and getting PP is a joke in fairness. If the person was actually driving the car and got stopped fair enough.

When stopped in traffic I would assume that the car was still running. If you are caught with a mobile phone in your hand then hard luck.

I think you should look up the meaning of the word snobbish.

Advertisement