Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you UNdevelop a site - get and old ~eircom one removed?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I rather foolishly said to someone who was doing me a favour recently that I'd help them sort out any computer problems they had and I didn't really mean I'd chase down and get a dead website removed for them.

Anyway story is someone put up a bad website years ago on free Eircom hosting and charged a packet for the job then disapeared. 5 years later and with no Eircom account no User name or Password whats the proceedure for getting the site removed? To make matters worse the site comes up number 2 in a google search and contains totally out of date information, even the email address has a typo in it.

I'll probably try phoning Eircom eventually but not having an account with them will probably mean I have to call a premium rate number and get no where, so if anyone knows a better way to start or who to call I'd love to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I rather foolishly said to someone who was doing me a favour recently that I'd help them sort out any computer problems they had and I didn't really mean I'd chase down and get a dead website removed for them.

Anyway story is someone put up a bad website years ago on free Eircom hosting and charged a packet for the job then disapeared. 5 years later and with no Eircom account no User name or Password whats the proceedure for getting the site removed? To make matters worse the site comes up number 2 in a google search and contains totally out of date information, even the email address has a typo in it.

I'll probably try phoning Eircom eventually but not having an account with them will probably mean I have to call a premium rate number and get no where, so if anyone knows a better way to start or who to call I'd love to know.

Short of some sort of legal declaration, there's probably no way in hell they'll remove it.

What's to stop me ringing up and saying exactly what you said and asking them to remove a competitor's website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

cormee wrote: »
    Short of some sort of legal declaration, there's probably no way in hell they'll remove it.

What's to stop me ringing up and saying exactly what you said and asking them to remove a competitor's website?

I realise that, and I wasn't expecting to ring anyone up and for them to just blow the site away. I was more hoping that someone here had gone through the same process and knew who to contact, how to contact them and what information was required to prove you had a legal right to remove the site. I just was trying to avoid hours on the phone being passed around eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I realise that, and I wasn't expecting to ring anyone up and for them to just blow the site away. I was more hoping that someone here had gone through the same process and knew who to contact, how to contact them and what information was required to prove you had a legal right to remove the site. I just was trying to avoid hours on the phone being passed around eircom.
    You could write to them (not email) and see what you hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

When the site/eircom account was first registered who did this? What's the WHOIS data? Who's paying for the recurring charge if it's still up? I just saw you mentioned free eircom hosting but was this bundled with a paid package or something?

If it was done by the person asking you to do them the favour then they can cross reference who registered the account with proof of address and proof of who your friend is.

You (or more likely your friend) might have to go in to meet them with this evidence but I have never gone through this so don't even know if they'd be bothered going to that length for you.

Just checking but have you tried choosing the "forgotten password" option (if there is one with eircom) and then the password gets sent to the email account so you can login in again - of course this presumes you/your friend has access to this account too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

worc wrote: »
    When the site/eircom account was first registered who did this? What's the WHOIS data? Who's paying for the recurring charge if it's still up? I just saw you mentioned free eircom hosting but was this bundled with a paid package or something?

If it was done by the person asking you to do them the favour then they can cross reference who registered the account with proof of address and proof of who your friend is.

You (or more likely your friend) might have to go in to meet them with this evidence but I have never gone through this so don't even know if they'd be bothered going to that length for you.

Just checking but have you tried choosing the "forgotten password" option (if there is one with eircom) and then the password gets sent to the email account so you can login in again - of course this presumes you/your friend has access to this account too.

All good advice but there is no whois (that doesn't point to eircom themsleves) for a http://homepage.eircom.net/~username type site. There was a FQDN at one stage but that has long since lapsed.

I did some obvious checking and found out who created the site and checked with someone who he had created another site for an it turns out there is no chance of contacting the original creator or owner of the sites as he died a few years ago.

There is more than one site hosted on the same root as in http://homepage.eircom.net/~username/site1 and http://homepage.eircom.net/~username/site2 etc so I can't call Eircom and ask for the password for site1 which I want removed as site1 has nothing to do with the ~username - if that makes any sence. But I might just call up anyway and see if saying we lost the password helps from what I can tell there are no security questions logged for the username so even if I had access to the orignal email account they won't change the password online, I know some of the orignal account details now including the email address and account owner so might get somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement