Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogerstown Estuary Rush County Dublin.

Options
  • 21-07-2011 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello, i'm thinking of trying the estuary for some sea trout/Bass over the next day or two. Anyone any knowledge of the area or suggestions please? never fished it before so unsure as what spots to fish. Many Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I know that both species are present for a fact and that it looks like an inviting piece of water with rich feeding. Water quality could be better though - other than that, I know very little. There are lots of features to explore so I would imagine that a mobile approach to your fishing would be best. I would be interested to hear how you get on with your exploration :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 The Hare

Thanks Slow going to try it at first light or Dusk...will let you know as i've seen them moving about:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Just be careful as you move up the tidal part of the Turvey - I have a vague recollection of dangerous mud banks in the area. It would be a good idea to have a route plan if you are going to be exploring in low light conditions.
    Tight lines:)

The Hare wrote: »
    Thanks Slow going to try it at first light or Dusk...will let you know as i've seen them moving about:)
    :D:D

Some of the fish you saw were probably Mullet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

I see a lot of people fishing the estuary, never seen anything caught.
    I think most of the anglers are fooled by the large amount of mullet in the estuart thinking that they are bass and sea trout. There really is a huge amount of mullet and they look to be good size.
    I'd love to hear reports from anyone who fishes there although I don't expect anyone will let that secret out.

This report from 2008 says that there are plenty of juvenile Bass but no mention of seatrout in the estuary.
    http://www.wfdfish.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Rogerstown.pdf

This report pages 9 - 14
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PreviousDevelopmentPlans/FingalDevelopmentPlan2005-2011/VariationstoDevelopmentPlan2005-2011/Lusk-Var31/publications,30634,en.pdf

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31320&p=245841&hilit=rogerstown#p245841

Octopus wrote: »
    I see a lot of people fishing the estuary, never seen anything caught.
    I think most of the anglers are fooled by the large amount of mullet in the estuart thinking that they are bass and sea trout. There really is a huge amount of mullet and they look to be good size.
    I'd love to hear reports from anyone who fishes there although I don't expect anyone will let that secret out.

This report from 2008 says that there are plenty of juvenile Bass but no mention of seatrout in the estuary.
    http://www.wfdfish.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Rogerstown.pdf

This report pages 9 - 14
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PreviousDevelopmentPlans/FingalDevelopmentPlan2005-2011/VariationstoDevelopmentPlan2005-2011/Lusk-Var31/publications,30634,en.pdf

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31320&p=245841&hilit=rogerstown#p245841
    I wouldn't rule out the possibility of sea trout - a lot of those surveys tend to be once off and can miss the presence of sea trout for other reasons too such as overly strong tidal currents which make netting impossible. There used to be a licensed netsman there who certainly used to get sea trout nearby.
    Could be hard work to find one with rod and line all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I am a regular walker in that area, I dont fish. There are a few people fishing from the shore but a few things worth remembering as Slowburner mentioned there are dangerous sandbanks there and the current can be strong.

Last week when walking there were plenty of fish jumping and the lad below I photographed said there were plenty of fish there at various times, Sea Trout, Bass, Mullett and Salmon. Salmon was news to me. You can aprk along the estuary on the Rush side and if tide is low you can drive right up to Baleally

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5979145629_88c2f9de60.jpg[/EMAIL]">

You can drive up along the right hand side behind where this man is fishing once its not high tide.
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5979143073_85cdcb6b4a.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimerson1

In answer to the original thread - I caught a large sea trout there in 2009 - it did however take about several months of regular evening fishing over July/August and eventualy September of that year. It was caught on a black and purple zulu fly and was hooked on a retrieve as the estuary was on a retreating tide.

The guy in the photo is a master Bass fisherman who I saw regularly, he always ledgered peeler crab and/or ragworm and very rarely blanked for sea Bass.

If you observe the narrowest section (inland from Rogerstown boat club) you will see sea trout jumping and like most anglers you will be drawn into the challenge. Beware - they are hard to catch and as in my case three months worth of casting resulted in 1 fish. Not a great return!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

jimerson1 wrote: »
    In answer to the original thread - I caught a large sea trout there in 2009 - it did however take about several months of regular evening fishing over July/August and eventualy September of that year. It was caught on a black and purple zulu fly and was hooked on a retrieve as the estuary was on a retreating tide.

The guy in the photo is a master Bass fisherman who I saw regularly, he always ledgered peeler crab and/or ragworm and very rarely blanked for sea Bass.

If you observe the narrowest section (inland from Rogerstown boat club) you will see sea trout jumping and like most anglers you will be drawn into the challenge. Beware - they are hard to catch and as in my case three months worth of casting resulted in 1 fish. Not a great return!!!

The man in the photo is an absolute legend who I've had the pleasure to fish with,as regards rogerstown its very hard to fish on the estuary itself,better off in front of the sailing club were it has a Sandy bottom and not to many snags,you'll put a lot of hours into it to catch anything,spinning seems to be the most productive way of fishing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement