Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help please

• 21-07-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In a bit of a pickle. Yesterday the washing machine which is in the kitchen started tripping the switch in the fuse box. I tried changing the fuse in the plug but it made no difference. Now as of today the power switch on the wall in the kitchen for the oven/hob is no longer working. Flickered a little. Flickering started 2 days ago.

Any ideas if both problems are related and what the cause may be?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Shouldn't be related, just not your week :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

probable causes (remedy)
    Cooker
    loose connection in cooker switch(replace cooker switch)
    loose connections fuseboard(call a registered contractor)

Washing machine
    unplug the machine and check the socket and plug top for burn marks or loose connections

what exactly is tripping in the fusebox
    is it the rcd(elcb)
    if it is then most likely,its the appliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Great. Thank you. I will check these suggestions out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Munster64

If the washing machine is tripping the RCD (the thing with the push button, which turns off all the sockets) it could be anything in the washing machine. I would look at the door seal to see it it has a small hole which could cause a leak, enough to cause a leakage of electricity. Not sure what to say about the cooker. Best get an electrician to check it out.

Advertisement