Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do - sent for "fit to work assessment"

Options
  • 21-07-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

A few weeks ago in a private conversation with my manager I told him that where I worked was so miserable I had been on anti-depressants for a while. I subsequently came off them and life is all good.

However, in light of this relevation the company suspended me on Monday (nothing in writing btw) and i have an assessment with an Occuputational Therapist tomorrow to determine my fitness for work.

This comes on the back of several weeks of fighting with the management team over issues in the workplace. Am I being setup - I dont know.

Question I have is. Does anyone know the format of the OT interview or what they are looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know a few people (heck, I'm pretty sure I've done at least two) who have done the "fit to work assessment" after a few days off sick. It's more to cover their own arses than anything else usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Not saying wrote: »
    This comes on the back of several weeks of fighting with the management team over issues in the workplace.

Wow, choose your battles. These are the people who can fire you!

You're not being set up. Your manager became aware of possible mental issues and in light of this needs to take appropriate precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

You get your doctor to certify you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Thats a bit of a challenge for both you and the employer.

If you were athsmatic but were controlling it using medication then a simple declaration from the doctor would cover the employer from being liable should something happen on the job. Its different with stree/depression or mental illness. It shouldn't be but it is. If you've been doing battles with management, and remember these are people far more powerful than you, with hire or fire powers, they may simply be assessing that its ok to continue, or else putting themselves in a position where you cannot blame them if anything gets worse.

I'd be careful about what you say and don't assume anything from here on in. At least try not to do battles with management, generally you cannot win.

Advertisement