Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on my build

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Given how cheap RAM is, its probably worth it to get 8GB for only €14 more:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44319&agid=1192

That PSU is fairly mediocre at best. With only 30A on the +12V rail, and I'm assuming its 2nd hand, you would probably be better off getting a new one. This for example would be plenty:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

The Crucial M4 is a better SSD, but you get less space for your money. If you would prefer a faster drive with less space, its a better deal:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113&agid=1145

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Am I really going to see much difference between 4gb and 8gb on the RAM? I mean sure it's only 14 euro more but I'm on a budget - I'd rather not spend more if I'm not going to get much benefit out of it.

The PSU hasn't been used, my friend bought it and never ended up using it for anything, so I figured it'd be alright. What does "fairly mediocre" mean in practice in this situation? I'm not planning on adding an extra graphics card or anything down the line; what problems could I run into using it?

I'll have a think about the Crucial SSD for sure. To me that extra 30gb space seems pretty useful for programs etc., and I've heard they're decent SSDs.

How much slower are we talking? If a faster one just means eg. Windows booting up a second or two faster rather than major differences I'll probably opt for the Kingston one for the extra space.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Am I really going to see much difference between 4gb and 8gb on the RAM? I mean sure it's only 14 euro more but I'm on a budget - I'd rather not spend more if I'm not going to get much benefit out of it.

The PSU hasn't been used, my friend bought it and never ended up using it for anything, so I figured it'd be alright. What does "fairly mediocre" mean in practice in this situation? I'm not planning on adding an extra graphics card or anything down the line; what problems could I run into using it?

I'll have a think about the Crucial SSD for sure. To me that extra 30gb space seems pretty useful for programs etc., and I've heard they're decent SSDs.

How much slower are we talking? If a faster one just means eg. Windows booting up a second or two faster rather than major differences I'll probably opt for the Kingston one for the extra space.

For now, 8GB won't make much of a difference for gaming. It will help with stuff like photoshop or video/music editing. However if your budget is tight there's no need. It would just be a bit more future proof.

For the PSU, on doing a bit more research I would advise against it. It was a good PSU 5 years ago, but its not good enough to handle a modern load. Most of the spec is on the 3.3V and 5V rails, so its actually equivalent to a modern 350W PSU.

If you can use the extra space, then stick with the Kingston one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ah, that's brilliant to know, thanks for the replies deconduo! Will definitely pick up a new PSU instead.

Advertisement