Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Economics for the first time

Options
  • 21-07-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello all.

I am starting a H.Dip. in Economics this September but I have never studied the subject before; my undergraduate degree is in History.

My question is regarding the level of modules in second year and third year which make up the programme. What exactly are the first year things I will have missed out on? I have a serious personal interest in economics and have been a subscriber to The Economist over the last few years. Is this enough, or is there any textbook I should/can read to familiarise myself with the basics?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Hello all.

I am starting a H.Dip. in Economics this September but I have never studied the subject before; my undergraduate degree is in History.

My question is regarding the level of modules in second year and third year which make up the programme. What exactly are the first year things I will have missed out on? I have a serious personal interest in economics and have been a subscriber to The Economist over the last few years. Is this enough, or is there any textbook I should/can read to familiarise myself with the basics?

Thanks in advance.

You're in for a tough year!! If I were you, I'd get cracking on the below straight-away, otherwise you'll be sinking fast in Sept.

Break your study down into Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. Start with Micro first.

I would highly recommend getting 'Make That Grade - Economics' by James O'Leary. It a great book to explain all the basics clearly, and is only about €17 brand new. Read it from cover to cover and do all the excercises.

I would use it in conjunction with a great free website that uses free video tutorials to explain the basics: http://www.economistsdoitwithmodels.com/microeconomics-101/

Also, get a good economics dictionary (Oxford perhaps). They are very handy for explaining concepts etc in a clear consice way.

If you trouble with any of the maths, use this website http://www.khanacademy.org/ to explain.

Good luck!

Advertisement