Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy Racers

• 21-07-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Is there anything attractive about boy racers lifestyle?
    Why do they drive like lunatics to show off in absolute stupid looking cars that sound like broken hairdryers?
    Don't know how some girls swoon all over them...they spend more money on cars than anything else...sad really
    im sick of these people nearly putting other people at risk by driving like reckless idiots.

granted there are people with zoomed up cars that dont be doing 'doughnuts' everywhere but...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Why do they drive like lunatics to show off in absolute stupid looking cars that sound like broken hairdryers?
    Don't know how some girls swoon all over them...they spend more money on cars than anything else...sad really
    im sick of these people nearly putting other people at risk by driving like reckless idiots.

granted there are people with zoomed up cars that dont be doing 'doughnuts' everywhere but...
    But what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Clearasil & hormones forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Dont be getting boy racers mixed up with car enthusiasts,boy racers usually rob cars and rally them or buy ****ebuckets and wreck them,enthusiasts take good care of cars,id ask you to post this thread on any car forum and you would see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I love slamming on the brakes when they tailgate me :cool: Just to see the look of shock on their faces in the mirror, and hear the farty noises eminating over the 50 cent CD, blaring from their micra :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They are losers with no hobbies who kick tyres in carparks, do laps of small country towns to get attention and spend all their dole money in halfords on vulgar accessories for their equally vulgar ten year old buzzing shitwagons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Dont be getting boy racers mixed up with car enthusiasts,boy racers usually rob cars and rally them or buy ****ebuckets and wreck them,enthusiasts take good care of cars,id ask you to post this thread on any car forum and you would see the difference.

you know what I mean...people who spend all there money on there cars and drive like absolute maniacs.I know someone like this. There are people who still do this kind of **** , but with their own car not a stolen one. Trying to be like one of the mad lads

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

There aren't really as many around as there used to be. A very small perk to the recession I suppose :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I like dog racing and horse racing, so boy racing could be good too. Would they be going over fences or on the flat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

I have a sport version of a popular make of saloon car. It has alloys and a spoiler and is quite highly tuned. I bought it because it has a higher spec than the other models with climate control, cruise control etc. I'm a 24 year old lad and am instantly judged on it as being a boy racer, yet the only crash I was involved in was when a young woman ploughed into the back of me nearly writing my car off! Does that mean i should judge all women drivers to be bad based on my experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

are the clergy involved in boy racing.

• Advertisement

shrubs wrote: »
    I have a sport version of a popular make of saloon car. It has alloys and a spoiler and is quite highly tuned. I bought it because it has a higher spec than the other models with climate control, cruise control etc. I'm a 24 year old lad and am instantly judged on it as being a boy racer, yet the only crash I was involved in was when a young woman ploughed into the back of me nearly writing my car off! Does that mean i should judge all women drivers to be bad based on my experience?

Yes, of course! In fact, you didn't even need that experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

I think if it was America and the 1960's then I could see the appeal of being a 'boy racer' and living the hot rod lifestyle ...

... however in 2011 driving around in a ****ty Japanese/Korean identicar with a broken exhaust and cheap decals just marks you out as over achieving chav scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes, of course! In fact, you didn't even need that experience!

Sometimes the truth is frowned upon in these forum`s though.

flutered wrote: »

No, but they use boys as the hares in priest racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I did say I know they arent all like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Like bikers but with no balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

No, but they use boys as the hares in priest racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

you know what I mean...people who spend all there money on there cars and drive like absolute maniacs.I know someone like this. There are people who still do this kind of **** , but with their own car not a stolen one. Trying to be like one of the mad lads

In my time ive driven mivecs,vtec civics,non vtecs,a crx even standard lancers,mirages and a hatchback 1.3 civic all considered boy racer cars,ive driven most of these with a baby in the back,a car doesnt make a driver scumbags would rally a micra if they had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I saw some muppets down by the Siptu building in Cork last night and when one of the clowns started his engine up and drove, the racket of the bloody exhaust was awful, Seriously If I see him again and have to hear that racket Ill pull him out of the car and give him a few slaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I remember a few years ago in a set of traffic lights,there was this fella in his honda civic revving the bejaysus out of his car,just showing off before the lights went green.Then he let his enthusiasm get the better of him and with all the cars still stopped, he went flying into the back of the car in front.........needless to say I can't take boy racers serious ever since.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Because some think they become sex gods all sudden with the cars,saying that always hear them whingeing about guards giving them hassle :rolleyes:

i think some of them drive by schools at lunchtime to try impress girl students!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know how you feel about being sterotyped at the momment i drive a Honda Accord Type S not even Euro R and the amount of time because when I talk about my car (basically its my baby:o) and the fact its a Honda ive had people say to me oh are you boy racer? Its a Honda? Thats without even seeing my car. Way to stereotype :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Awh boiz, fúck all ye haterz. Me nd da ladz just hvin a bit ov fun. We dont do no harm to noone. Ma v-tech is sme machine. She duz 100 miles an hour no boder to her. Oh and da donutz are class. I dont no why ye r all agenst uz like dis. We can spend your our money any way we lke. Mammy payz We pay our taxes and insurnse.

:cool:

I'll take my coat now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Oh the noise!!!!!....just tone the exhausts down please:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

tan11ie wrote: »
    Oh the noise!!!!!....just tone the exhausts down please:o

The only noise needed is the sound of a good engine! What's the point in trying to get a stupid 1 litre hatchback to sound like a v12 and failing miserably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

**** all those boy racers, I've a horse outsoide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I used to love the whole boyracer thing way back in the day (2006).

The thrill of sitting in the car as it spun around a carpark at a cruise, and all as you could see was smoke from the tyres.

I remember one cruise, the squad car drove in around the lads, and one idiot followed the squadcar doing doughnuts. It was quite funny to see the guards crawling around in circles after the car, with the sirens on.

Driving round with them after the nightclubs, the DS flying after them for no other reason than them driving a noisy car. Taking the cops on chases down thru back roads and country lanes, for the craic, and losing them.

Some thrill seeing them behind you with the lights going but they can't catch you.

Doin laps, goin to meets, racing your neighbour. Hell - even just sitting in the carpark.

And it was almost like a brotherhood of sorts? You seen a modded car stopped looking like it broke down -- it's always a fellow modded car driver that would stop to help you out. They did for sure look out for each other.

Now at 22, and with my penalty points FINALLY wore off my licence from that period, and with a sensible family car, I laugh as I cruise around about my business -- seeing all the runts sitting in the carpark in their mothers ford focus, tryin to look bad ass. Back in the days of real boyracers they'd have been laughed out of the place. Organising the cruises and meets on facebook - giving the cops and the othe dummies the headsup on the situation. Remember the days when that was exclusive, and towards the end, at 2:30, when the guards were unprepared and busy downthe town after the nightclub, when the cars would line up for the finale stuff.

Boyracers today are like the knock off version. Lame.

I kno the old ones were probably lame too but I'll always fondly rememeber all those goons I hung out with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

flutered wrote: »
    Id say it would more 'boy chasing' than boy racing those guys would be into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The thrill of sitting in the car as it spun around a carpark at a cruise, and all as you could see was smoke from the tyres.

I remember one cruise, the squad car drove in around the lads, and one idiot followed the squadcar doing doughnuts. It was quite funny to see the guards crawling around in circles after the car, with the sirens on.

Driving round with them after the nightclubs, the DS flying after them for no other reason than them driving a noisy car. Taking the cops on chases down thru back roads and country lanes, for the craic, and losing them.

Some thrill seeing them behind you with the lights going but they can't catch you.

Doin laps, goin to meets, racing your neighbour. Hell - even just sitting in the carpark.

And it was almost like a brotherhood of sorts? You seen a modded car stopped looking like it broke down -- it's always a fellow modded car driver that would stop to help you out. They did for sure look out for each other.

Now at 22, and with my penalty points FINALLY wore off my licence from that period, and with a sensible family car, I laugh as I cruise around about my business -- seeing all the runts sitting in the carpark in their mothers ford focus, tryin to look bad ass. Back in the days of real boyracers they'd have been laughed out of the place. Organising the cruises and meets on facebook - giving the cops and the othe dummies the headsup on the situation. Remember the days when that was exclusive, and towards the end, at 2:30, when the guards were unprepared and busy downthe town after the nightclub, when the cars would line up for the finale stuff.

I kno the old ones were probably lame too but I'll always fondly rememeber all those goons I hung out with

feeling nostalgic much? tear rolling down your cheek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Back in the day? You're 22. I bet you drive a Passat.

lol wow I dont even know were to start:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

BoyRacers were a great distraction for the Gardaí, So much that if I wanted to skin up a joint, Id pull into whatever petrol station they were at, Park up and roll up, I didn't drive a modified car so I knew if the Gardaí arrived they wouldn't pay me any attention..Fog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

*puts hood up*

Fuckin' NEEOOOOM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Were you dumped by a boy racer and now decide to take out your rage on them in AH?

• Advertisement

Yes - I feel mad old. My reminisence would bring a tear to my glass eye and no, I don't drive a passat. VW is a poor mans Audi ;)

Ah no, seriously though!!

Say what ya like -- but back in the day it was good craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Sky King wrote: »
    They are losers with no hobbies who kick tyres in carparks, do laps of small country towns to get attention and spend all their dole money in halfords on vulgar accessories for their equally vulgar ten year old buzzing shitwagons.

At least they have something to show for it unlike the losers who drink all their money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yes - I feel mad old. My reminisence would bring a tear to my glass eye and no, I don't drive a passat. VW is a poor mans Audi ;)

Audi a4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Audi is a poor mans BMW ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

VW is a poor man's Bugatti Veyron

• Advertisement

Audi a4?

Audi A4 RS TDI:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yeah my old man says stfu you no nothing...

and i agree....

even he does donuts in his car

Its fun... tho these days im a little more refined in my E30 325i :pac:

yeah right :D

Haha no I don't drive Audi either. I'm just saying VW seem to be just a cheaper version of Audi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Because some think they become sex gods all sudden with the cars,saying that always hear them whingeing about guards giving them hassle :rolleyes:

i think some of them drive by schools at lunchtime to try impress girl students!.

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but some do become sex gods

P.S Their should be no dissing of VW best car make around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

astonaidan wrote: »
    Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but some do become sex gods

Makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Why are people calling them losers with no hobbies? I think it's pretty obvious what their hobby is....

I have no interest in cars but some people do and just because they spend some money they have on making their car look good (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) isn't really a reason to ridicule. I think much of the hatred stems on the fact that they are all stereotyped as scumbags and while most boy racers I've met were fúckin arseholes it doesn't mean they all are.

One thing that does piss me off are the excessively noisy exhausts, be it from a modded car or some wánking motorbike. Especially pisses me off if I'm trying to sleep and some kunt is doing laps of the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

marcsignal wrote: »
    I love slamming on the brakes when they tailgate me :cool: Just to see the look of shock on their faces in the mirror, and hear the farty noises eminating over the 50 cent CD, blaring from their micra :D
    No excuse for that kind of thing. They're driving dangerously so it gives you an excuse to do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

I wonder how the fcuk these kind of lads keep their cars going with fuel costs and no to mention tyre costs, must eat into dole considerably! and +1 they sure do drive by secondary schools at lunchtime

EDIT: When i find it difficult to afford a night out once a fortnight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dont be getting boy racers mixed up with car enthusiasts.

Car enthusiasts my arse.

Don't be talking shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Lapin wrote: »
    Car enthusiasts my arse.

Don't be talking shíte.

Don't be so narrow-minded. There is a huge difference between boy-racers and car enthusiasts. Boy racers buy 1litre cars and stick a hooj exhaust on them to make them sound like lawnmowers. Car entusiasts spend thousands fine tuning their pride and joy, whish is often in the form of had to insure cars, and treat them like babies.

Anyway, didn't a bunch of "boy-racers" (41 cars to be exact) do a nationwide fund-raising drive for the Childrens Hospital in Crumlin last weekend. Want to know how much they raised, in a recession? Over €26,000. Show me "boy-racers" willing to go to the effort to do that for a good cause. http://www.drive4charity.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement