Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy Racers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

shrubs wrote: »
    I have a sport version of a popular make of saloon car. It has alloys and a spoiler and is quite highly tuned. I bought it because it has a higher spec than the other models with climate control, cruise control etc. I'm a 24 year old lad and am instantly judged on it as being a boy racer, yet the only crash I was involved in was when a young woman ploughed into the back of me nearly writing my car off! Does that mean i should judge all women drivers to be bad based on my experience?[/QUOTE]
    Yes! Surely a no brainer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Car entusiasts spend thousands fine tuning their pride and joy,

Thousands.

Lucky pride and joy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lapin wrote: »
    Thousands.

Lucky pride and joy !

More than likely better than whatever ball of scrap you drive anyway. :D

SV wrote: »
    More than likely better than whatever ball of scrap you drive anyway. :D

Thats true for one of my cars.

The other 4 are taking up all my time lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lapin wrote: »
    Thats true for one of my cars.

The other 4 are taking up all my time lately.

Care to name what they are?
    There's nothing special about having more than one car btw, why even mention the number without naming the cars?
    Seems kind of pointless, unless you actually think it's something unique to own more than one car.

SV wrote: »
    why even mention the number without naming the cars?

Because I'm not a boy racer (car enthusiast :rolleyes:).

I really don't give two fúcks about cars.

I own five. (well four really, cos one of them is frigged).

Don't ask me what they are because I really couldn't care less.

I think one of them might be a Renault something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dont be getting boy racers mixed up with car enthusiasts,boy racers usually rob cars and rally them or buy ****ebuckets and wreck them,enthusiasts take good care of cars,id ask you to post this thread on any car forum and you would see the difference.
    That will do Micky, that will do :)
    marcsignal wrote: »
    I love slamming on the brakes when they tailgate me :cool: Just to see the look of shock on their faces in the mirror, and hear the farty noises eminating over the 50 cent CD, blaring from their micra :D

It makes me cum a little when I do that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

Can anyone honestly say they were'nt the same with their first car ??
    I acted like a complete maggot in my first, second and third car, its a severe form of immaturity tbh. I had plenty of close shaves and stupidly put my life and the lives of others at risk on occasions but as you get a bit older and wiser it stops thank god :). Now i'm the old man shaking my head when i see 18/19 year olds tearing past me
    You live and learn.

(I await the sensible brigade to give me a good tongue lashing:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I acted like a complete maggot in my first, second and third car, its a severe form of immaturity tbh. I had plenty of close shaves and stupidly put my life and the lives of others at risk on occasions but as you get a bit older and wiser it stops thank god :). Now i'm the old man shaking my head when i see 18/19 year olds tearing past me
    You live and learn.

(I await the sensible brigade to give me a good tongue lashing:D)

This here is why all young male drivers are given the sh!tty end of the stick when it comes to car insurance.

It's great you drive more carefully now, but there are loads of other young men out there who still drive like that and that's where the general bad rep comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

You are too young to remember but back in the 70's and 80's you would be lucky to get your first car before the age of 25, by then you would have plenty of respect for it ;) Of course there were still idiot drivers back then even if they were 30 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Don't be so narrow-minded. There is a huge difference between boy-racers and car enthusiasts. Boy racers buy 1litre cars and stick a hooj exhaust on them to make them sound like lawnmowers. Car entusiasts spend thousands fine tuning their pride and joy, whish is often in the form of had to insure cars, and treat them like babies.

Your point is very accurate, however, I notice a common misconception that a lot of people seem to make.

You're basically saying that in order to be a car enthusiast you have to drive something with a large engine and a lot of money. I think this is wrong. I've seen shíte looking 1 litre cars but have seen equally shíte looking "enthusiast" cars.

The main difference between boy racers and enthusiasts is that boy racers will generally make a car look hideous and tatty (regardless of engine size or brand), will never look after the car mechanically or cosmetically and will drive the shíte out of it.

An enthusiast on the other hand will work with what he has, be it a feckin Polo or whatever. Engine size and brand has nothing to do with it imo. Its the persons mental state of mind. They may have a 1 litre engine in a car but will make the car run to its best, subtly enhance its looks and keep it in tip top condition.

I first drove a 1.4 litre car and changed its looks without adding body kits etc. The car was mechanically and cosmetically looked after to high detail and never got a bad compliment. I just looked after it.

My current car is a 1.8 and I'm no more/less enthusiastic about this one, paying the same attention to detail as I did to my last one.

It's not all about money and engine size, it's the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

One of the funniest I have seen was a old wreck of a car in front of me at the lights, it was a piece of junk and obviously not well taken care of. Anyway it had a massive spoiler and four exhausts (or two double exhausts, whatever you want to call them) and they were ridiculously HUGE. However you could plainly see the actual small exhaust for the car inside one of the fake ones - so he basically had 4 HUGE fake exhausts that did nothing....What is the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

This thread from a girl racer is funny, and seems to sum up the mentality of some of these halfwits.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=203637

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Sergeant wrote: »
    This thread from a girl racer is funny, and seems to sum up the mentality of some of these halfwits.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=203637

First reply is solid gold!

In my mind a car enthusiast and boyracers are very similar so i dont agree with the fact that they are different !! I would find it very difficult to pick out a car enthusist in my home town that is'nt seen on a friday night eating road.. You can spend all the money in the world on your pride and joy, you can wash and polish it 5 times a week but if your not mature enough to drive it in a respectable manner then you are a boyracer. Rarely do i see a nice skyline, m3 etc pottering along safely @ 50/60mph.
    In my mind a car enthusiast is someone mature that collects cars and can be seen the odd sunday pottering down the coast road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The ignorance shown in this thread is unreal. On one hand you've got people complaining about driving around in their loud cars and then a lad gets applauded for slamming on the brakes while being tailgated? Do any of you know how dangerous that is?

I get confused with a boyracer because of the car I drive, I'm far from a boyracer. The car is loud yes, but it's all about performance and before any of you go on about speed limits it sees the track quite often and in October it's be tearing around the the Nurburgring.

So don't tar people who like cars with the same brush as a little scrote that goes out road racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

As above I couldn't give a toss what those prats call themselves, racers or enthusiasts or whatever. I have no problem with people getting into motors as a hobby and/or going racing down in Mondello for example, but any twat that tries to turn the public roads into their own private rally/race track is a boy racer twat in my book. There's a couple of tits who seem to love coming around my area at about 11-12 at night and racing around the estate with the music blaring and getting every last bit of noise they possibly can out of their exhausts. Car enthusiasts? No. Arseholes? Yes.

People should learn the difference between boy racers and car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts decide that they'd rather spend their money on their car instead of alcohol. They're social activity is meeting other enthusiasts instead of alcohol. Fair feks to them.

I bought what you would all call a "boy racer car" when in fact it was a mint 1990 3 series bmw. If most of the people in this thread seen the car, you'd scream "boy racer" and be completely wrong. Show a car nut the car and they'd compliment it.

Gary ITR wrote: »
    The ignorance shown in this thread is unreal. On one hand you've got people complaining about driving around in their loud cars and then a lad gets applauded for slamming on the brakes while being tailgated? Do any of you know how dangerous that is?

I get confused with a boyracer because of the car I drive, I'm far from a boyracer. The car is loud yes, but it's all about performance and before any of you go on about speed limits it sees the track quite often and in October it's be tearing around the the Nurburgring.

So don't tar people who like cars with the same brush as a little scrote that goes out road racing

While i agree that its dangerous to do so, you have to look at how dangerous it is to tailgate someone also, and in most cases its usually a young lad in a honda civic etc thats touching your bumper. What do you suggest people do if you cant tap your brakes to warn them off??
    Pointless ringing the Gardai as i've found out

People should learn the difference between boy racers and car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts decide that they'd rather spend their money on their car instead of alcohol. They're social activity is meeting other enthusiasts instead of alcohol. Fair feks to them

As long as 'meeting other enthusiasts' doesn't involve reckless, dangerous driving on the public roads and areas coupled with ridiculous noise pollution in residential/built up areas then I don't see the problem. If these car enthusiasts are behaving exactly like the boy racers then they are the same and I couldn't give a toss how they spend their money.

If a GAA team was coming around your place at midnight and kicking a football off your wall/windows would you say fair feks? No, I doubt it. If a DJ set up a table and started blaring out his tunes on the street at midnight? Fair feks? Eh no. Take your hobby and do it somewhere appropriate.

• Advertisement

People should learn the difference between boy racers and car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts decide that they'd rather spend their money on their car instead of alcohol. They're social activity is meeting other enthusiasts instead of alcohol. Fair feks to them.

I bought what you would all call a "boy racer car" when in fact it was a mint 1990 3 series bmw. If most of the people in this thread seen the car, you'd scream "boy racer" and be completely wrong. Show a car nut the car and they'd compliment it.

Do car enthusiasts try to better performance figures on their motors?? Why do they do it ?? Do all car enthusiasts only race thier cars in Mondello etc?? Be realistic

Well I used to know guys who owned M5's, GTI's etc. and they went to Mondello for trackdays.. So yea, I am being perfectly realistic. And yea, car enthusiasts obviously try and get better results from their motors.. Pride in a well built engine is enthusiasm at it's purest. It's like a nerd overclocking his CPU.. It isn't exactly needed but when you run the benchmark test, you're proud of it. Same a HP test.

Thr issue lies with where these tests are being carried out though !!
    Their are very very few so called car enthusiasts that use the track to verify these tests and i think thats where the issue is. So ultimately the minute a car enthusiast decides to test his/her car on a public road they automaticly become a "boyracer" imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

If your penis is big enough you don't bother being a boy racer. Same for bodybuilding.

Thr issue lies with where these tests are being carried out though !!
    Their are very very few so called car enthusiasts that use the track to verify these tests and i think thats where the issue is. So ultimately the minute a car enthusiast decides to test his/her car on a public road they automaticly become a "boyracer" imo

You have to be joking..? Putting the foot down on a dual carriageway in a car that is built for speed is nothing like dicking around carparks and estates in Civics.

By your logic, anyone who buys a nice car is a car enthusiast and anyone who "tests it" is a boyracer.

You have to be joking..? Putting the foot down on a dual carriageway in a car that is built for speed is nothing like dicking around carparks and estates in Civics.By your logic, anyone who buys a nice car is a car enthusiast and anyone who "tests it" is a boyracer.

Eh a dual carriage way with other members of the public on it is not the place for speedtesting? It's exactly like dicking around estates. You are putting people at risk for your own hobby. Wtf is so hard to understand about that?

You have to be joking..? Putting the foot down on a dual carriageway in a car that is built for speed is nothing like dicking around carparks and estates in Civics.

By your logic, anyone who buys a nice car is a car enthusiast and anyone who "tests it" is a boyracer.

Exactly :rolleyes:, its very simple, a genuine car enthusiast is a responsible individual that knows where his motor should be tested. A dual carriageway is not a place to "test" your car, you are still putting other peoples lives at risk. Your mentality is obviously telling you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I couldn't give a sh1te what they're silly little cars look like or how much they spend on them. It's the noise coming off their sh1t buckets at 2 or 3 in the morning when their doing laps of the town while I'm trying to sleep.

The guards would want to do something about the noise pollution.

I didn't bring up "testing".. You did. And I didn't say there were other cars on the motorway.

Do you two actually believe there's no difference between boy racers and car enthusiasts?

I didn't bring up "testing".. You did. And I didn't say there were other cars on the motorway.

Do you two actually believe there's no difference between boy racers and car enthusiasts?

lol. Need i say anymore ?

• Advertisement

Yea, a lot more clearly because you still haven't made any points. You're not one of these old women who think that breaking the speed limit by 5mph on an empty motorway is dangerous are ya?

If they are acting in an identical way, then no. :confused: Why would I? I see two gob****es behaving the very same way I am not going to stop and say one is ok because he is an enthusiast, but the other one isn't. You have some twat revving the shíte out of his engine outside my house in the middle of the night I am no going to go out and ask him/her if they are an enthusiast or not before I decide to get pissed off. Act like a boyracer, you are a boyracer regardless of how much money/time you spent on your car.

prinz wrote: »
    If they are acting in an identical way, then no. :confused: Why would I? I see two gob****es behaving the very same way I am not going to stop and say one is ok because he is an enthusiast, but the other one isn't. You have some twat revving the shíte out of his engine outside my house in the middle of the night I am no going to go out and ask him/her if they are an enthusiast or not before I decide to get pissed off. Act like a boyracer, you are a boyracer regardless of how much money/time you spent on your car.

I never said they were acting identical.. I blatantly pointed out the differences. It's hard enough arguing with idiots, it's even harder arguing with people who don't even read the posts.

I never said they were acting identical.. I blatantly pointed out the differences. It's hard enough arguing with idiots, it's even harder arguing with people who don't even read the posts.

Oh yes dangerous driving on dual carriage ways is much better...

prinz wrote: »
    Oh yes dangerous driving on dual carriage ways is much better...

Where did I say dangerous driving on a dual carriageway? The mind boggles.. I thought you were a smart poster but you're letting yourself down badly here.
    If you're on about "testing", 99% of people care more about the 0-60 of their cars.. Safe and legal to test. You're making shlt up here to back up a losing argument.

Where did I say dangerous driving on a dual carriageway? The mind boggles.. I thought you were a smart poster but you're letting yourself down badly here.

So by "putting the foot down in a car built for speed", you meant driving within the speed limits and rules of the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Is there anything attractive about boy racers lifestyle?
    Why do they drive like lunatics to show off in absolute stupid looking cars that sound like broken hairdryers?
    Don't know how some girls swoon all over them...they spend more money on cars than anything else...sad really
    im sick of these people nearly putting other people at risk by driving like reckless idiots.

granted there are people with zoomed up cars that dont be doing 'doughnuts' everywhere but...

Granted I'm not a fan of boy racers the comment "they spend more money on cars than anything else...sad really" is a bit much.

I know plenty of people that spend all their money on alcohol and fags. At least when someone spends money on their car they have something to show for it.

Very possibly, I've edited my above post to highlight that 0-60 is what most people care about. I know I never drove my car at a dangerous speed but I definitely put the foot down getting it up to cruising speed

If you're on about "testing", 99% of people care more about the 0-60 of their cars.. Safe and legal to test. You're making shlt up here to back up a losing argument.

Are you talking about people bringing their cars to a complete stop on a dual carriageway in order to time a 0-60 run? Or are you saying someone who drives carefully and happens to accelerate safely? That sounds fair enough, nobody has issues with that.

• Advertisement

I can't believe I'm defending this BS when I didn't bring it up.

I can't believe I'm defending this BS when I didn't bring it up.

You did bring it up..... the first person to mention putting the footdown in a car built for speed on a dual carriageway was you.

This then becomes normal acceleration within the speed limit. I sense someone's in reverse.

You know what, you're right. Anyone who drives in any way fast even when their car is built for it, is a boy racer. How could I have made such a profound error in judgement until now. Argument over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Boy racer economics lesson 1:

Buy a €1000, 1.0 liter engine ****box and spent 1000's of euros on it making it look even worse than it already was.
    Put a fartcannon for an exhaust and rev the **** out of the engine, preferably after 22.00 hours.

The sell the car, advertising it as a 1 off, "indervidujal" car for €750 with the 1000's of euros worth of "mods" included.

If you are bored, browse this site for a bit. Prime examples there and some fantastic comments on them

While i agree that its dangerous to do so, you have to look at how dangerous it is to tailgate someone also, and in most cases its usually a young lad in a honda civic etc thats touching your bumper. What do you suggest people do if you cant tap your brakes to warn them off??
    Pointless ringing the Gardai as i've found out

So you'd rather have them plough into the back of you? If it was me I'd move out of the way and let them pass me. I'd rather loose a few seconds thyan loose my life. I drive a quick Honda and I've said before it's always a guy in a German car that puts it up to me looking to race
    Do car enthusiasts try to better performance figures on their motors?? Why do they do it ?? Do all car enthusiasts only race thier cars in Mondello etc?? Be realistic

I do, these guys that race on motorways should be shot

• Advertisement

Gary ITR wrote: »
    So you'd rather have them plough into the back of you? If it was me I'd move out of the way and let them pass me. I'd rather loose a few seconds thyan loose my life. I drive a quick Honda and I've said before it's always a guy in a German car that puts it up to me looking to race

I do, these guys that race on motorways should be shot

People are not always in a position to move in and let the idiot pass. I would prefer not to have someone rear end me tbh but if by tapping my brakes prevents them from nearly sitting in my back seat then i will continue to do so

People are not always in a position to move in and let the idiot pass. I would prefer not to have someone rear end me tbh but if by tapping my brakes prevents them from nearly sitting in my back seat then i will continue to do so

Slow down and continue on if you cannot move in. Tapping the brakes increases the likelihood of you being rear ended

You know what, you're right. Anyone who drives in any way fast even when their car is built for it, is a boy racer. How could I have made such a profound error in judgement until now. Argument over.

I see it's all gone over your head anyway. At least Gary ITR above strikes me as a real motor enthusiast.... and fair play to him. I used to spend time down in Mondello myself as a kid watching. No problems there.

Anyone who drives a €1000 shítebox or a car 'made for speed' on the public roads as if they were on a race track is an idiot and I'll happily lump them all together under one heading. I am not talking about calling people boy racers because they x car, but calling people boyracers because of what they do with said car.

Your idea seems to be two people can behave the same way but because they spend differing amounts on their car/modify them differently then they should be judged differently. If you're a boyracer in my book you're a boyracer, it doesn't matter if it's a dolled up civic or some other muppet in a saab.

charlemont wrote: »
    I saw some muppets down by the Siptu building in Cork last night and when one of the clowns started his engine up and drove, the racket of the bloody exhaust was awful, Seriously If I see him again and have to hear that racket Ill pull him out of the car and give him a few slaps..

I wonder what they were doing down there, actually, what were you doing down there? Fingers crossed you see him again, I can see the headlines now.

I have no idea where anyone got the idea that I said it's ok for "car enthusiasts" to drive on public roads as if they're on a racetrack. "Putting the foot down" doesn't mean driving like you're on a racetrack.

I've barely ever sped in my life, I'm making perfectly valid points and I'm being shot down here like I'm some 17yr old knacker in a Civic. Shows the limits of the internet I guess because this would have been cleared up in 10 seconds if we weren't limited to text.

• Advertisement
Advertisement