Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy Racers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I drive a quick Honda and I've said before it's always a guy in a German car that puts it up to me looking to race

Funny I drive an Integra Type R and this happens me 99% of the time i travel back to Limerick From Dublin, mostly on the Nenagh bypass.. Always someone in a BMW or Audi or Passat trying to race me. They come speeding up and then pull alongside me on the motorway and then expect me to gun it.

The way I look at it is, id rather spend my money on my car than giving it away to a barman in a pub. Ill happily put my car up for a test against anyone of the people who posted in this thread and i know 100% that mine will be in a far greater mechanical condition. At my last NCT the tester came out to me and said you keep it in great condition, its better than some of the 06 cars i get in here...

Heres my 13 year old car.

my98teg002.jpg
    my98teg026.jpg
    my98teg020.jpg
    my98teg064-1.jpg
    my98teg052.jpg
    my98teg034.jpg
    my98teg031.jpg

As a driver I have done the advanced driving course, have both a car and a truck licence, 9 years driving without a single crash. I was even up at Urban Performance not so long ago to get the car checked over as I was paranoid something may have been up with it. I know plenty of people that would keep driving till something breaks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

In my mind a car enthusiast and boyracers are very similar so i dont agree with the fact that they are different !! I would find it very difficult to pick out a car enthusist in my home town that is'nt seen on a friday night eating road.. You can spend all the money in the world on your pride and joy, you can wash and polish it 5 times a week but if your not mature enough to drive it in a respectable manner then you are a boyracer. Rarely do i see a nice skyline, m3 etc pottering along safely @ 50/60mph.
    In my mind a car enthusiast is someone mature that collects cars and can be seen the odd sunday pottering down the coast road

Until recently i drove a typical "boy racer" car - an Evo6
    I drove to/from work on the M1 and never broke the speedlimit but found that i got both men in audis/passats/bmw's/mercs trying to race me every single day.
    I used to just pull in and most of the time they would drive by me but sit there egging me on, so i used to just slow down.

I know my car could easily do the clock, my husband tried it once (hes a boy racer hehe)
    In the end I decided to sell the car as i hated being tailgated.

So am I a "girl racer" coz i drove a certain type of car??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

laurah wrote: »
    Until recently i drove a typical "boy racer" car - an Evo6
    I drove to/from work on the M1 and never broke the speedlimit but found that i got both men in audis/passats/bmw's/mercs trying to race me every single day.
    I used to just pull in and most of the time they would drive by me but sit there egging me on, so i used to just slow down.

I know my car could easily do the clock, my husband tried it once (hes a boy racer hehe)
    In the end I decided to sell the car as i hated being tailgated.

So am I a "girl racer" coz i drove a certain type of car??

Its not about what kind of car you drive its how you drive it !!
    The fact that you are laughing because your husband filled the clock in your Evo6 really does'nt do your above argument any favours in fairness.
    Its irresponsible people like your husband that kill people !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Driving a big standard GTi Golf makes someone a car enthusiast? Thats some straight up elitist rubbish. Plenty of better cars that could be substituted for it.

Driving any car, that looks good and is visibly looked after, that shows the driver has an eye for taste is a car enthusiast.

That Renault is a boy racer car. But that Renault could have been styled (before it was skangerised) to represent something that a Renault enthusiast might have driven.

It's nothing to do with brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lads/Ladies

Sexist comments aren't funny and only make you look bad.

Please don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Ricardo G wrote: »
    The fact that you are laughing because your husband filled the clock in your Evo6 really does'nt do your above argument any favours in fairness.
    Who said her husband did it on a public road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Here's mine Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Sitec wrote: »
    Who said her husband did it on a public road?

Any sensible poster would say that it was done on a track in fairness :rolleyes: to avoid confusion of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Here's mine Linky

The car looks scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The car looks scared.

You should have seen the face of the passenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Here's mine Linky

Nice. In the right place too. Enjoy the Nurburgring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

From what I am reading, my own synopsis of the thread is:

Car Enthusiast:
    Modifies their expensive car 'tastefully'
    Respects their car
    Doesn't drive irresponsibly

Boy Racer:
    Modifies their cheap car tastelessly
    Respects their car
    Drives irresponsibly

Since taste is wholly subjective I propose that driving style alone is what differentiates a boy racer from a car enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

Ricardo G wrote: »

Firstly i wasnt laughing at him doing the clock, i was laughing at calling him a boy racer.

As i stated in my original post i never sped in the car, drove it like normal and was never reckless or irresponsible.

Edited to say it was done on the track apologies for the confusion.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    From what I am reading, my own synopsis of the thread is:

Car Enthusiast:
    Modifies their expensive car 'tastefully'
    Respects their car
    Doesn't drive irresponsibly

Boy Racer:
    Modifies their cheap car tastelessly
    Respects their car
    Drives irresponsibly

Since taste is wholly subjective I propose that driving style alone is what differentiates a boy racer from a car enthusiast.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

It's the noise of boy racers that bothers me the most. Why do they feel the need for their car to be heard for miles around? It's so bloody obnoxious. It's like walking down town and having to get past a group of loud foreign students who seem to have no concept (or care) for decibels.

So drive your ridiculous looking green and pink crapbox with a monstrosity of a spoiler (probably the most aptly named bit of a car) if you must- in fairness, it's probably no more difficult on the eyes than your fashion sense. But SFTU as you go about your 10th pointless spin around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 evo20

I like dog racing and horse racing, so boy racing could be good too. Would they be going over fences or on the flat?

I imagine it would be like a steeplechase type event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ah, the age-old skill of spinning around the town all day, listening to sh1te, and screaming abuse at "hippies". Someone has got to explain to these lads that their hero, Vin Diesel, isn't a skinny young fella with a baseball bap on under his hoodie... You're doing it wrong, lads :pac:

Edit: Of course, I'm talking about the little boy racer skanger types here, not actual car fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 patchxx

Met an IDIOT boyracer on N17 overtaking in heavy fog on double white line at homes hill outside galway on friday 18th nov at 10 pm.Doing 70-80 on wrong lane. Poor lights. Think it was a black or dark blue civic. I just avoided heavy collision by a split second with mad swerve to hard shoulder. If you are reading this Shame on you you fool. If we had made contact lives would be lost. 4 kids waiting for me at home.
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

patchxx wrote: »
    Met an IDIOT boyracer on N17 overtaking in heavy fog on double white line at homes hill outside galway on friday 18th nov at 10 pm.Doing 70-80 on wrong lane. Poor lights. Think it was a black or dark blue civic. I just avoided heavy collision by a split second with mad swerve to hard shoulder. If you are reading this Shame on you you fool. If we had made contact lives would be lost. 4 kids waiting for me at home.

I'm sorry for your trouble Father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Is there anything attractive about boy racers lifestyle?
    Why do they drive like lunatics to show off in absolute stupid looking cars that sound like broken hairdryers?
    Don't know how some girls swoon all over them...they spend more money on cars than anything else...sad really
    im sick of these people nearly putting other people at risk by driving like reckless idiots.

granted there are people with zoomed up cars that dont be doing 'doughnuts' everywhere but...

None what so ever. Irritation to be honest. For the birds they are. Can't stand modified cars like. They drive far too reckless for my liking. I hate driving too fast like. Boy racers have no consideration for others just want the buzz. Immature they are like. Crazy to do such reckless driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

what are you on about.I specified boy racers.I dont mean people with done up cars.I mean people that actually fit the stereotype the done up cars and the reckless driving.and believe me there are enough of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Modified cars are so noisy does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

patchxx wrote: »

see this is what im talking about.people are going on a mad one saying im stereotyping car enthusiast and that but this is the type of man/woman im on about,the definition of a boy racer NOT a car enthusiast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dumbbell

car scene is dead, the only boy racer out there is in your neighbours robber car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

doovdela wrote: »
    None what so ever. Irritation to be honest. For the birds they are. Can't stand modified cars like. They drive far too reckless for my liking. I hate driving too fast like. Boy racers have no consideration for others just want the buzz. Immature they are like. Crazy to do such reckless driving.
    Like. Like. Like. Like.

The motorbike boy racers here are scary as fuk.. I see them dying all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

dumbbell wrote: »
    car scene is dead, the only boy racer out there is in your neighbours robber car!!

not at all, the Tuning scene ( confused with boy racers ) will never die, perhaps with the help of midnight club, dtd etc it might, but chances are it wont, ireland is a driving nation ( with some of the worst roads too ! )

Boy racers are trying to " tune " their cars but end up halfords'ing it.

Tuners work hard, save their pennys and put stupidly over priced parts into their cars so when the coast is clear you can steer with the rear.

I personally hate both but then again, What do i care ?? its their lifes in their hands, they crash and burn, fcuk them, their fault not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

dumbbell wrote: »
    car scene is dead

Its not. Its gone full circle. We're back to boggo toyota's with mudflaps and a CB aerial.

The tacky era that everyone speaks of was circa. Fast and the furious 1. Believe it or not, many of my friends had showcars at the time worth 25k+. Full leather retrims, rull resprays, professional audio/tv, coilovers at the time were a grand and everything like bodywork etc was over inflated in price.

But we still had boy racers then, we still have boyracers now. We will always have boyracers.

Its a mentality.

How many times have you had some khunt in a newish bmw/merc/insignia up your arse with no place to overtake for miles? Trying to overtake at every half chance oppertuinity they get?

Boyracers are everywhere. Their not all boys either. Most and the worst are mid 30's men.

The tacky "drove through halfords and one of everything stuck to the car" look is bad taste and trying too hard.

I've met many the boyracer in an audi A4, in an e30 bmw, vw golfs expensive jap imports and just as many in mommys focus. The car is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

The motorbike boy racers here are scary as fuk.. I see them dying all the time.

Care to elaborate on that one?

• Advertisement

Care to elaborate on that one?

They're nuts.. Convoys of 20-30 bikes racing through the city at mad speeds.. The leader is responsible for the.entire line.everyone takes. Police are usually behind them aswell. I got stuck in the middle.of a.junction one night as the entire thing flew.around me. Friends behind be said they were full sure I was about to die.

Most of the severe crashes are caused be wheelieing 2 people with no helmets.. Or just smacking straight into a truck or bike on a junction. I'm fairly immune to it by now and just pray I don't get hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I used to love the whole boyracer thing way back in the day (2006).

Just no!

Another thing, people seem to paint owners of high powered Jap cars as boy racers. In my 4 years of driving I've never come across an aggressive driver in a high powered Jap car, they generally look after their cars very well and are generally into driving them as opposed to getting agro.

However, every second Golf or Passat is driven by some ham headed eejit that looks as if he's gonna explode. Belting up and down bus lanes with a haze of turf smoke after them.
    VAG cars (now not all, there is enthusiasts who keep them looking great) are the new boy racer car of choice. Living on the Coolock/Artane area they are everywhere.

Perfect example, I was sitting in traffic on the Malahide Road near coolock village, some scummer in a Mk5 bog spec golf (with the ever popular fake GTi wheels) came belting up the bus lane from the back of the queue, he then decided that he wanted to squeeze in, in front of my car, which was sitting in traffic. Well I cant stand people who cut queues like that so I moved my car up making it aware that "you're not getting in here".

Now I know I was probably wrong and should have let this arsehole in after he's skipped a mile of traffic that everyone else was willing to wait in, but I stood my ground and blocked him off. Next thing I know he has hooked a 20cent coin off my passenger window (with a good bang, luckily no damage) and sped off down the rest of the buslane and off down a side road. What a knacker. Never have any problems on the road with the "boy racer stigma".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I have a 11 year old car. Its a modified toyota corolla. It wasnt modified by me but i bought it because it was a rare spec model. I dont drive like a lunatic or even at speed. But still im lumped in with the "Boy racer" sceen. Its not exactly fair to confuse enthusiasts and boy racers, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If driving these cars is their hobby and they love it so much why do boy/girl racers always look so fecking miserable. Do they think the big sourpuss makes them look cool/hard/gangsta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If driving these cars is their hobby and they love it so much why do boy/girl racers always look so fecking miserable. Do they think the big sourpuss makes them look cool/hard/gangsta?

The noise does in-fact get on our tits sometimes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I blame Formula 1 on tv for turning their heads. But our boy racers are closer to baby formula, bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

a friend of mine who serves in the gardai informed me of an incident involving one such "boy racer" driving a glanza as if you hadn't guessed,that he pulled over for god knows what any way he stepped up to the window and said do you know what i pulled you over for and the little pimple sporting lad in the driver seat barely able to see over the steering wheel due to the seat been to far back retorted your only jealous of me sports car.

This shows only one thing. Boy racers think very highly of themselves. I only have one problem with them and it is a very serious one. I worry that these clowns flying around in clapped out micras glanzas and honda civics think too highly of their skills behind the wheel. I had one nearly rear end me one time and the look of shock on his face was priceless but his girlfriend in the passenger seat nearly beat the head of him. lads enjoy your cars fine by me but keep the theatrics of the road. keep it on the track

Anyone not feel the NCT and insurance companies are hitting the scene so hard there putting these tuner companies out of business? The reasion I sold my car was it was more of a hastle with insurance quotes, I wanted to do it all legit but its just impossible deal with them ppl.. then the nct time.. getting the car in and out of the dump.. noise levels... it just became all to much of a burden .. they sucked the enjoyment out of it for me anyway. granted i couldnt afford a trailer and take it to mondello which is really the only place youll see tuned cars. sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

They even have a facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/boyracersireland

From their description they seem like a great bunch of lads!
    this page is for boy/girl racers!post pictures of yours cars/pojects/cruzs/cars events...etc on to dis page with your name under it!ppl have been giving us a bad name saying we are da reason for all da deaths and crashes on da roads...BULL****!realy this page is just for a bit of crack and by joining you are saying you are proud to be a BOY/GIRL RACER!!!!!!!please post info about on coming cruzs/events....etc!!!!!!

• Advertisement

They even have a facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/boyracersireland

From their description they seem like a great bunch of lads!

its almost as bad as the .. plz leave account number and pin and we will send you 500 euro .. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    a friend of mine who serves in the gardai informed me of an incident involving one such "boy racer" driving a glanza as if you hadn't guessed,that he pulled over for god knows what any way he stepped up to the window and said do you know what i pulled you over for and the little pimple sporting lad in the driver seat barely able to see over the steering wheel due to the seat been to far back retorted your only jealous of me sports car.
    if he knew much about cars he would know that the mondeo that pulled him over has probably twice the power of his starlet.
    iv never got why people would buy a **** car and spend a fortune doing it up, just buy a decent one to begin with!!! very few actually do a good job anyway, 98% just look tacky as hell.

Advertisement