Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leasing a Business

• 21-07-2011 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi folks my other half is looking to take over the lease from a business, probably local cafe or newsagent. She has seen a small cafe that would be ideal as it is local. Am just wondering how she needs to go about things, as she is new to all this, and I personally have'nt a clue. She has worked as assistant manager in a resturant for last few years, and has a fair idea how to run a restaurant and manage people, etc, but in terms of running a business she hasn't a clue, but tells me otherwise!. Am just wondering if anyone can offer advise in where she needs to start, and if she needs to go through the same legal requirements as if she was starting a new business, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It might sound very cruel, but I'd say the best thing is to be very careful. The newsagent business is over. What's more, the business that came after it, convenience, is being crushed for many participants. Cafes? You really need to know what you are doing to turn around a cafe or restaurant. Who is going to lease you an existing high quality site if you don't have a lot of track record? There is a lot more to it than managing staff and running things. It's all positioning, marketing, financing and everything else.

Being 'local' does not make a cafe ideal. A cafe is a business, not a lifestyle choice, unless you are already wealthy enough to take such a big risk just to have a way of life. The only thing that makes a cafe 'ideal' is if it can turn over at least six grand a week and you can make a solid income from it. Work out for yourself how busy it needs to be to make that work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

It might sound very cruel, but I'd say the best thing is to be very careful. The newsagent business is over. What's more, the business that came after it, convenience, is being crushed for many participants. Cafes? You really need to know what you are doing to turn around a cafe or restaurant. Who is going to lease you an existing high quality site if you don't have a lot of track record? There is a lot more to it than managing staff and running things. It's all positioning, marketing, financing and everything else.

Being 'local' does not make a cafe ideal. A cafe is a business, not a lifestyle choice, unless you are already wealthy enough to take such a big risk just to have a way of life. The only thing that makes a cafe 'ideal' is if it can turn over at least six grand a week and you can make a solid income from it. Work out for yourself how busy it needs to be to make that work.

No you are not cruel, this is the kind of advice that I need, as I say I am not involved in any of this and have no backround. Thanks.

Advertisement