Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Question

Options
  • 21-07-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all been of the boil with shooting of late newborn arrived in november and have had more important issue's like soiled nappies,cots baby clothes teething etc etc :D Things have now settled down (thanks god :) ) So pretty keen to get back shooting again.

Anyhow i moved down the country for a little while and have now moved back to my original (application) District anyhoo

I was in changing the address forms on my licence(s) today and when putting down the new address I pointed out that my licence made no indication to the fact that its was a .22 wmr as opposed to a 22lr, hornet, etc etc.

I'm just wondering does anyone with the above licence (.22 lr wmr etc) have it written on there licence or like mine does it just say .220 like mine.

Cheers Elius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

my wmr licence says.220 my new .22lr licence says .22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

jap gt wrote: »
    my wmr licence says.220 my new .22lr licence says .22

PM sent lad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

My Ruger 10/22 license says 22LR on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Does that mean one can get a 22 WMR barrel if you have a 22 LR seeing as you have a licence for a .22

And now for the next conumdrum.Will a .22LR licence allow you to purchase a .22 WMR barrel or in other words can i get a .22 WMR barrel without getting a licence for it.It does say on the Garda web site "Spare Barrel" A spare or replacement barrel for a firearm will not require a firearm cert provided it is of the same calibre.

So in theory a .22 licence should entitle you to buy .22 WMR barrel without getting a seperate licence.So every pick your brains.
    The Mink.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I doubt it.

Both elius and jap_gt seem to have .220 for their WMR so i'm guessing thats probably a normal thing on the WMR licenses. However my .22lr license and the lads say .22 for their lr. This is obviously the distinction the Gardai are making between the calibers.

So if you tried getting a WMR barrel and had .22 on your license, and a Garda checked your license and did not see .220 then he could do you for possessing of an unauthorised firearm.

This is all assuming the barrel doesn't have a serial number. If it does and it doesn't match the serial number on your license you are definitely in a spot of bother.

I would like to get a few lads posting whats on their licenses. So if anyone is reading this thread if you own;
    • .220 Swift
    • .22lr
    • .22wmr
    could you post up whats printed on your license including the number and any description. ie - Swift, lr, wmr, etc.

That should help clear up the what the Gardai are using to distinguish between the similar calibers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Irishwolf81

I have a .22wmr and on my licence it says .220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

my fo told me that they regard all 22s the same wether its a rimfire or centrefire
    i changed a hornet for a .223 as technically it's the same calibre as far as tptb are concerned i was told, infact a hornet is .224 if i remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

My licence says .220 (for my .22lr) Yeehar does this mean I can get a substitution for a swift or .223?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MKC1

I own both a .22wmr and a.220 swift. On both licences it just says .220 inches and the make of the gun. Makes no distinction between wmr and swift! Changed to the swift from a hornet,was just a straight swap no extra 80 euro:)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My .22lr rifle has ".220" on it

Must check the pistol..................

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats disapointing.

I was hopeful the system would break them down into categories like;
    • .22lr - Marked as .22
    • .22 wmr - Marked as .220
    • .220 Swift - Marked as .220 Swift
    That would leave it nice and clear. The only other thing i can say is irrespective of what your license says it is recorded on PULSE in its full caliber. So even if your license says .220 and its a CZ .22 the system will have a record of you owning a CZ .22lr rifle.

Like alot of other things some stations may allow you to change a .22lr to a swift going by bullet rather than caliber while another will judge it as a rimfire to C/F irrespective of caliber/bullet size.

Make your head explode.:confused:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I asked a guy what was listed for me on Pulse, he said one rifle one shotgun.
    Both I have not owned since 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

FISMA wrote: »
    My Ruger 10/22 license says 22LR on it

Correction, it says

".22 Inches"

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

On a side note; my .308 says rifle bearing serial number xxxxxxxx

Thats it!

So thinking what is written on it is Gospel could be erroneous

Considering I did own a 6.5 x5.5 mm Rifle once :D

I'v been making a fews calls today and it seems they bulked all the .22 Rimfires together and all the .17 Rimfires together without making any distinction between either.
    I'll let ye know what kind of progress I make on my second barrel.
    The Mink

Advertisement