Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade router for satellite broadband?

• 21-07-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got satellite broadband put in recently and want to upgrade the wireless router they supplied.
    I had a look in the argos catalogue and noticed there was an option for each router, a cable router or a phone line router.
    I presume I should get the cable router....right??

Cable from satellite dish runs to modem, Cat5 cable connects modem to LAN connection on router if thats any help to ye.

The router I have is a N150, laptop tends to lose connecion every so often, annoying for gaming or anything, would a more powerful wireless router improve this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Gaming over satellite? I hope you mean Chess or something similar not needing low latency?

If what you got is dropping out, try changing wireless channel

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Not doing any major gaming, main problem is with online poker, that would be where its most annoying as money can be lost:mad:, even if its just for a few seconds. It rarely happens though.

Signal is very good and strong near the box but in the next room signal drops a lot, a better router seems to be the solution to this but what router? No signal at other side of the house though:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is no such thing as a better router, any that say they are is just lying (go faster stripes), the walls are in your way. You'll need to cable or use homeplugs and add another wireless access point on a different channel to cover the other end of the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

a better router seems to be the solution to this

More than likely not. Wireless interference is the likely culprit, and a new router will suffer the same (and be a waste of money).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Never saw those homeplugs before, glad I asked here before going out and buying a new router.
    Thanks!:D

I should be glad to have any sort of broadband...out here in the sticks

• Advertisement
Advertisement