Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCC Masters application results?

• 21-07-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I'm a UCC student in the history department, and I applied for the International Relations MA two months ago. I had a decent interview, did my proposal, etc, and all was fine. Then I got a 2.2 in my exam results (instead of the preferred 2.1) so I contacted the Graduate Studies Office who told me to make a special application of 1,000-1,500 words. I did that too, just before I left Ireland for New York for the summer.

That was almost 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard back from them since, and my PAC status hasn't changed from the original "you have been accepted on the condition that you receive a 2.1" message. Should I email again and ask what's up, or is waiting this long normal? I guess I'm just paranoid because I didn't meet the conditions, but I made a good special application and got it in on time, though they did not acknowledge receipt of it (I know it sent, and to the right person, though).

So what do you think? Should I wait some more, or should I write a follow-up email just in case? I'm really banking on this MA, it's the only one that that accepted a special application from me, so if I don't get into it I'd like to know in good time so I can focus on getting a menial job come October...

Thanks for any help, guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Maybe a call to the relevant dept might help as the MA History International Relations is on the list open for late applications due to available places/lack of uptake possibly
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/PGProgrammesstillopenforapplication/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭The IRgAy

Hi, I'm a UCC student in the history department, and I applied for the International Relations MA two months ago. I had a decent interview, did my proposal, etc, and all was fine. Then I got a 2.2 in my exam results (instead of the preferred 2.1) so I contacted the Graduate Studies Office who told me to make a special application of 1,000-1,500 words. I did that too, just before I left Ireland for New York for the summer.

That was almost 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard back from them since, and my PAC status hasn't changed from the original "you have been accepted on the condition that you receive a 2.1" message. Should I email again and ask what's up, or is waiting this long normal? I guess I'm just paranoid because I didn't meet the conditions, but I made a good special application and got it in on time, though they did not acknowledge receipt of it (I know it sent, and to the right person, though).

So what do you think? Should I wait some more, or should I write a follow-up email just in case? I'm really banking on this MA, it's the only one that that accepted a special application from me, so if I don't get into it I'd like to know in good time so I can focus on getting a menial job come October...

Thanks for any help, guys.

A 2.2 is a pretty dismal result so I expect that all those with 2.1s will be placed ahead of you in the pecking order.

The office are probably waiting for all other applicants who have applied to accept their places, meaning you have to hope these individuals change their mind.
    Best of luck -- hope you get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I wouldn't exactly call a 2.2 dismal. If the course isn't over subscribed (and it appears it isn't) then I'm sure a 2.2 will do. UCC will want bums on seats and fees paid. You'll be reading the works of the real John Mearsheimer in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lady Gagarin

The IRgAy wrote: »
    A 2.2 is a pretty dismal result so I expect that all those with 2.1s will be placed ahead of you in the pecking order.

The office are probably waiting for all other applicants who have applied to accept their places, meaning you have to hope these individuals change their mind.
    Best of luck -- hope you get in.

Gee, thanks. I worked pretty hard for that dismal result...

I know people with 2.1s will be placed ahead of me. Not hard to figure that out. I just want to know if it's normal to wait for a result for this long... If I didn't get in, I'd like to know so I can make alternate plans for the autumn with a decent amount of notice. Thanks for the luck though anyway.
    I wouldn't exactly call a 2.2 dismal. If the course isn't over subscribed (and it appears it isn't) then I'm sure a 2.2 will do. UCC will want bums on seats and fees paid. You'll be reading the works of the real John Mearsheimer in no time :)

Thanks. I'm trying to get in on the quality of my application and my specific module results (International Relations and International Organisations were my best history module results overall, 2.1s in both, but my overall Arts III grade was a 2.2 so I have to take it in my stride) rather than dwell on it too much but it is a source of worry regardless, as I'm sure you know. Guess I can only wait and see some more, probably won't hear back til August or September if they've extended the deadline.

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭The IRgAy

The vast majority of arts students -- approx 2/3s -- will achieve either a 2.1 or a 1.1, meaning a 2.2 is in the bottom tier.

I'll let each individual decide if a below average grade is dismal or not.

Anyway, lets all hope Lady scrapes in to the course.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm trying to get in on the quality of my application and my specific module results (International Relations and International Organisations were my best history module results overall, 2.1s in both, but my overall Arts III grade was a 2.2 so I have to take it in my stride) rather than dwell on it too much but it is a source of worry regardless, as I'm sure you know. Guess I can only wait and see some more, probably won't hear back til August or September if they've extended the deadline.

Thanks for your help!

I'm sure they'll take your international relations related results into account. Don't lose any sleep about getting a 2.2 either. Degree classification isn't a measure of someone's ability, aptitude or intelligence. I did my masters in International Relations but before that I took an international relations module when I was doing Government in UCC and got a 2.2 in it. Ended up with a 1st in the masters. As long as you have the interest (and it sounds like you do) you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

I'm sure they'll take your international relations related results into account. Don't lose any sleep about getting a 2.2 either. Degree classification isn't a measure of someone's ability, aptitude or intelligence. I did my masters in International Relations but before that I took an international relations module when I was doing Government in UCC and got a 2.2 in it. Ended up with a 1st in the masters. As long as you have the interest (and it sounds like you do) you'll be fine.

Listen to this. Don't worry about your grade at this point - a 2.2 still meets the minimum entry requirement and IR is rarely oversubscribed. The results you have in relevant modules will count in your favour and a Masters has a different feel to it by comparison with an undergrad where you have assessment upon assessment heaped on you (and another subject to worry about.) If your grades for dissertations or research-based modules were good that'll be a further reason why the 2.2 will not be a barrier.

With an interest, you'll go very far in the programme. In fact, a good grade in the Masters would obviate earlier undergrad results.

I think, IRgAy, that you need to use less of language like 'scrape in'. It doesn't help the OP; and you speak as if you know first-hand the process of admissions to programmes in the History department. Do you? The MA IR programme has the capacity for thirty students. There were just under half of those places filled last year.

Just out of interest OP - you had an interview for the application? They didn't have this last year! I'd like to know more about what it was like. Was it Professor Roberts that interviewed you? :)

PS: Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info about the course. I'm graduating from it in October.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't want to seem overly sensitive about my grades but since my thread wasn't "is 2.2 a good score" I was honestly a bit narked by IRgAy's posts. I'm well aware that a 2.1 is more likely to get you into a course than a 2.2, but it doesn't rule out a 2.2 entirely, so that was not my question. I just wanted to know if waiting this long for an application result is normal. But anyway, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for your replies. Plautus, what you said about the second subject to worry about is too true - I joint majored in both History and Art History and the latter was such a burden. I enjoy it as a subject but the workload is much heavier than general History's, and it's a lot more esoteric and therefore more difficult to achieve a good grade in (you can't really "tick the boxes" in it because there's so much philosophy involved). I honestly with I had only minored in it as I believe I would have come out with a 2.1 if I had focused on History alone. But what's done is done and I at least didn't fail, so I just have to push on with it.

As for the interview, it wasn't strictly an "interview" but I felt I should meet the course co-ordinator, Mervyn O' Driscoll, before I applied so I knew what I was in for. I also wanted to talk about a thesis proposal topic since the application asked for at least a title and to put someone down as my supervisor. It sort of turned into an interview during our meeting; he asked me my second year grades (this was before final year grades had been released), what modules I had taken this year, where my interests lie and what made me want to apply for the IR course, etc. The usual kind of stuff. He also said to just put him down as my supervisor and to give whatever interested me now as my proposed thesis title as I could easily change my mind about it during the course, as you probably know.

I don't know if it went "well" or not since I wasn't exactly prepared for an interview, but I did get a conditional offer a couple days later so it must have been satisfactory at least. I know Dr. O'Driscoll has an interest in nuclear politics, so I tried to talk about my own interest in nuclear politics and proliferation as much as possible, as well as my general interest in the history of technology, which he seemed kind of surprised by? I don't know. He said he hadn't had anyone tell him that before, not sure if that is a good or bad indicator...

He mentioned the 30-student capacity actually, and said that 30 students "overstretched" them that year and that 15 or so is more usual. I'd be very surprised if the course was oversubscribed and the extension of the deadline seems to indicate that it definitely isn't, so that certainly reassures me!

I'm trying to stay positive while I'm here in NYC by reading IR books in my spare time and thinking about a thesis at least. It sort of helps keep me motivated that I'm in such an internationally influential nation right now, haha. If I don't get in I'll try again next year. I really do have an interest and am not just looking for a generic course to occupy my time with, so I really hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

There's a friend of mine on the course this year who did Art History too. She confirmed the brutal workload!

Dr. O'Driscoll's a very fair guy - I'm sure he was only surprised because he doesn't expect most students to share his research interests! They only want to know that you're interested in something to do with the area. And I'm sure it showed.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing for a prospective entrant to the course. Getting an outline of the general theories and how they relate to each other will serve you very well as this is pretty much the function of the taught part of the course. Know your liberalism from your realism and some of the big names (Morgenthau et al.) and you'll be at an advantage on day one. Having thought about the thesis will also help as they'll be trying to pin you down at some point in the first term.

You'll also quite like the seminar module. There's close reading of influential IR articles with Professor Roberts and I can only encourage you to treat it semi-informally. A good dynamic can build up when people aren't afraid to speak up - especially when Geoff does devil's advocate ;)

Ha, lots of 'isms' in international relations, can get a bit confusing. Ya, have a think about a thesis topic. Don't fall into the the trap of waiting ages and doing a topic just for the sake of doing one. You might also like E-IR. It's a student run international relations website that covers many angles of the subject..theory, history, security studies. global governance etc.

www.e-ir.info

• Advertisement

Hi all, I got lucky and got in in the end! Thanks for your encouraging posts.

Now my only problem is that I'm still gonna be in NY for a week when registration is happening/classes start... whoops!

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Well done!! Hope you enjoy the course.

Advertisement