Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quarter Life Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It's all a bit of drama.

Ok, in your early 20s most people will be finishing college, getting their first proper job, renting a place more substantial than college accommodation, starting life as a fully fledged adult so no doubt there are big changes, but nothing that could be really described as a crisis.

People going through a mid-life crisis do so because they have lived most of their life (over half of it usually) and have regrets over things they didn't do. They think they no longer have the chance to do certain stuff so in a way a mid life crisis is justifiable!

Didn't really word that properly but meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Okay, so we've adolescence, where people are insecure.

Now after that we've your quarter-life crisis, where we're insecure.

Then we're just coming out of that and we've a mid-life crisis, where we're insecure again.

Life is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paulac

never a dull moment!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

paulac wrote: »
    Hi,

I just wanted peoples opinion on this- have you ever heard of a quarter life crisis? I have come across this term so much in the past few weeks
    http://www.independent.ie/health/alternative-health/mind-amp-meaning-the-latest-affliction-quarterlife-crisis-2654531.html

What do you think? Anyone having a quarter life crisis?

I've never heard of the phenomenon before, to be honest. Where else has you seen it, beside in that article?

It seems to me a superfluous label.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've never heard of the phenomenon before, to be honest. Where else has you seen it, beside in that article?

It seems to me a superfluous label.

Its the Independent. So yeah, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paulac

In the past 6 weeks there has been related articles in the independent, the irish time, the daily mail and I've heard 2 people in the past week saying they think they're going through a 1/4 life crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'd only consider it worrying if you had it at a very young age.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

paulac wrote: »
    In the past 6 weeks there has been related articles in the independent, the irish time, the daily mail and I've heard 2 people in the past week saying they think they're going through a 1/4 life crisis!

Sounds like a melodramatic cop-out for people who want to make a drama of the mundane things that everybody goes through.

It's not a crisis. It's just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Whatever about this so-called Quarter Life Crisis, I'm currently in the grips of a Mid College-Life Crisis.

Where have the past two years gone?!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Sounds like a melodramatic cop-out for people who want to make a drama of the mundane things that everybody goes through.

It's not a crisis. It's just life.
    To be fair, you could probably say the same thing about a mid life crisis.

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    To be fair, you could probably say almost the same thing about a mid life crisis.

True! But, the idea of a mid-life has been around far too long for me to ridicule it as a novel excuse.

1279739081364.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

That's silly. It's called ''the teenage years''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Article wrote:
    A recent survey of 1,100 young people by Gumtree.com verified some of his findings in that 30pc felt under pressure to marry and have children by the age of 30 while 21pc wanted a complete change of career.

:eek: Fúcking hell!
    That is insane. Ok marriage is fair enough I suppose if you're that boring and have been with the same person forever but anyone who feels the need to have kids before they're 30 needs their head checked. At least enjoy freedom a little before throwing it away entirely to devote your life to parenthood.
    (Why anyone wants children, at ANY age, in the first place is beyond me but that's another matter...)
    He outlines four phases. The first consists of a feeling of being trapped but unable to exit and this may relate to a job or a relationship. The second phase is marked by the sense that change is possible and it is during this period of embarking on new ventures that emotional turmoil and upset is described.

During the third phase the new ventures are built upon, while they are cemented in the fourth phase.
    Y'know, that kinda makes sense to me. I reckon I've spent about 3 years in phase 1 and I'm finally moving onto phase 2 now! (Which is good, because the "change is possible" idea is nice....but, knowing me, Phase 3 will come shortly before I get hit by a bus or something...)
    The quarter-life crisis tends to occur shortly after the person leaves college and enters the real world of work and life outside the educational hothouse.
    Awww bless; they think people leaving college enter the world of work. My "about to apply for the dole" status says otherwise. Whoever wrote the article clearly hasn't seen how difficult the job situation is at the moment.
    Examples are career fluidity, with many changing careers or taking second degrees in their late 20s.
    o/ Oh haiii...
    That's gonna be me in a few years, I hope. Once I've saved up enough money, I'm gonna go grab that pharmacy degree I should have started when I was 17. (That's my new life plan; is somewhat subject to change though.....)

The article makes sense and stuff but there's no need to have a label for it. It's not a "quarter-life crisis"; it's just young people dealing with life. There's no need for us to try and make ourselves sound any more persecuted or hard-done-by or anything.

(And it's definitely not a quarter-life crisis in my case because I have absolutely no intention of living until I'm 80! :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Nothing new, people often have crisis's at a relatively young age, when they feel time has passed them by and they have achieved nothing and they are under huge pressure to do things.

Ceaser for example, broke down when he saw a statue of Alexander because he had achieved so much at a younger age than he, and he nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I can relate to the article. So there you have it.

Advertisement