Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patch City

Options
  • 21-07-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Made an awful job of spreading fertilizer by hand two weeks ago

Taught it was spread even enough,,,,,but now there is patches of green grass,it looks terrible

whats best way to clean up this mess

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Try a liquid feed over the whole thing, doing your best to avoid the patches you got already. Hopefully the rest will catch up in a week or so.
    Just be patient and methodic when applying fertiliser. Check the application rate per meter. Measure out the amount in a plastic bag on a scales, and then hold it in your hand to get an idea of how much it is. Then measure out a square meter and sprinkle it over. After that you should have a good idea of how much to apply over what area and wont have to bother weighing and measuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Cheers redser , I picked up that book as well, the lawn expert some good info on it.

What's your own taughts on collecting grass or mulch, I have been mulching most of the season but that book says always collect so your not spreading weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Personally I always collect the grass and add it to my compost heap. But I read that leaving the occassional cut on the grass is no harm as it returns some of the nitrogen back into the soil. But if you are fertilising then there is no need to do that. It could also be a good idea to mulch if we ever got a sustained hot and dry period as it would help keep moisture in the soil (and add some too). But sure what are the chances of weather like that here?
    Good point about the weed seeds if you have weeds in flower.
    Some might disagree but I would always collect the grass.

Advertisement