Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Extension demolition quote

• 21-07-2011 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi i was quoted 6,000 euro's for a 15ft x 10ft prefabricated extention on our rear terraced house to be removed and a deck put in it's place. Seems a little expensive..am i being ripped off?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

How many quotes did you get?

If you feel you are being ripped off - get another quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kiwiana

I had 5 builders come out to me in the past 4 weeks to review the extension...and they are the only guys that got back to me.!!..i'd love to just know if the price he quoted was the norm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

It sounds to me like an aqward job if the quote is that high and there are no other prices coming back. If there is no access to the extension for machinery and all the work has to be done by hand and wheelbarrow then the quotes will be extremely high if you get any back at all.

Its the sort of job that most builders dont want and any that do make sure they make money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mackerano

Kiwiana wrote: »
    Hi i was quoted 6,000 euro's for a 15ft x 10ft prefabricated extention on our rear terraced house to be removed and a deck put in it's place. Seems a little expensive..am i being ripped off?

got the same thing done last year paid 5,500 with paving done instead, im sure yours would be only around 5,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Get more quotes. This may be a reasonable quote depending on the scale of the work, acsess, structural issues etc. You may not be getting ''ripped off''. It is unfair to the builder who had the decency to provide you with a quotation to assume that he is ''ripping you off'' when you have nothing to compare to. I wouldnt pay much heed to estimates posted here. Every job is different so get other quotes before you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

As said above, get out the golden pages and look for local builders. They wont charge you for a quotation and aside from getting a Quantity Surveyor involved is the easiest way to price up a job under unique circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

Kiwiana wrote: »

Ladder
    1 x screw gun
    1 x crow bar
    1 x claw hammer
    1 x sledge
    1 x pair of gloves
    1 x small skip
    1 x box of plasters and dettol
    6 x beers (preferably refrigerated)

one sunny saturday afternoon go nuts and take the prefabbed extension down yourself

Then get a quote for decking and repair of any damage/blocking up to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

jblack wrote: »
    Ladder
    1 x screw gun
    1 x crow bar
    1 x claw hammer
    1 x sledge
    1 x pair of gloves
    1 x small skip
    1 x box of plasters and dettol
    6 x beers (preferably refrigerated)

one sunny saturday afternoon go nuts and take the prefabbed extension down yourself

Then get a quote for decking and repair of any damage/blocking up to be

done.

@ jblack

I like your quote but I would double the number of beers and plasters :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

swanvill wrote: »
    @ jblack

I like your quote but I would double the number of beers and plasters :-)

Also add to the list Gloves & steel cap boots and if you dont have a hard head better to get a hard hat aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement