Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build pic/hard drive

Options
  • 21-07-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Heres completed build. Running great, running two dell monitors, one 20 inch and one 27 inch at 2560x1440.

photo2xae.jpg
    unledlkw.png

I have windows installed on ssd drive, hdd is also plugged in. But I cant see HDD in windows. Anyone know what I have to do?. Want to use HDD for storage. I have both drives running off same power cable, is this a problem?

Not sure what temps are good. CPU is running at 38C and M/b at 32. Is this ok?. This is only while browsing? havent tried gaming yet. Fans running half speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

hey mate sorry i can't answer your question but i noticed your heat sink fan was on the left instead of on the right blowing heat out through the exhaust fan. i have both the heat sink (not installed yet) and the ram so i was curious if you tried fitting the fan on the right already if so did it fit above the ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Yeah,

I did have it on the other side first because thats the way the air should get pushed.

But it blocked 2 ram slots and slightly blocks a third, you can fit it in but you have to have it slightly wedged. Ill have to swap to other side if I notice any temp problems. All good so far but havent tried gaming yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Normally you just have to format the storage drive, as long as its being detected in your BIOS, then its working fine. I cant think of the way to format within W7 but you can do it with your Windows 7 DVD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Did you check disk management?

Right-click My Computer and go to Manage > Disk Management

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

This. The drive isn't initialised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Messy cables, yum. She's a purdy one.

Yeah, found it and formatted with NTFS.

Thanks

Messy cables, yum. She's a purdy one.

This is it after I tidied cables.:eek:

Are those temps ok. Just played Crysis at 2560x1440. Highest CPU temp was 58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

jack888 wrote: »
    Are those temps ok. Just played Crysis two at 2560x1440. Highest CPU temp was 58.

They're fine. You start worrying when they go above the 70s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

58 is actually pretty low. :P

The max my i5-750 ever gets to is 65, and thats when Prime95 Stress testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Are those temps ok. Just played Crysis at 2560x1440. Highest CPU temp was 58.
    Is that crysis 1 or crysis 2

blobby360 wrote: »
    Is that crysis 1 or crysis 2

Anyone know what extra fan I should buy for this.

It has to be a four pin connector into motherboard.

Anyone know what extra fan I should buy for this.

It has to be a four pin connector into motherboard.

I personally use Scythe Slipstreams and love them to bits.

They recently came out with a PWM (4pin) version, so pick one up!
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/scythefans/slip-stream-120-pwm-hs

That site is great for fans though, so feel free to check out others. I assume it's a 120mm you need for the case, yes?

Leman wrote: »
    I personally use Scythe Slipstreams and love them to bits.

They recently came out with a PWM (4pin) version, so pick one up!
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/scythefans/slip-stream-120-pwm-hs

That site is great for fans though, so feel free to check out others. I assume it's a 120mm you need for the case, yes?

Yep 120mm.

There is only 3 fan connections on motherboard, do some plug into the power supply?

Yep 120mm.

There is only 3 fan connections on motherboard, do some plug into the power supply?

You can plug fans directly into a molex plug (that fan I linked comes with an adaptor packaged with it) but it will ALWAYS run at max speed, instead of the variable/controlable speed the 4th wire in the PWM header allows it to do.

Some fans may simply come with a molex plug.

You can plug fans directly into a molex plug (that fan I linked comes with an adaptor packaged with it) but it will ALWAYS run at max speed, instead of the variable/controlable speed the 4th wire in the PWM header allows it to do.

Some fans may simply come with a molex plug.

What is a molex plug?

What is a molex plug?
    These plugs.
    250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

These plugs.
    250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Ah ok, so thats to plug into the power supply? and the other one is to plug into the motherboard?

• Advertisement

Ah ok, so thats to plug into the power supply? and the other one is to plug into the motherboard?

Correct. The Molex ones come from the power supply, the 4pin PWM connector plugs into the motherboard.

Correct. The Molex ones come from the power supply, the 4pin PWM connector plugs into the motherboard.

Thanks, Ill get 2 of those you recommended, plug one into power supply and one into motherboard.

If its in power supply is it always on max speed or can I set it to low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

When it's plugged into the PSU it will be running at max all the time.

You could get a fan controller, then plug all your case fans into it and you can control the speeds at which they operate at. So when your browsing you could leave them on low and when your gaming turn them up.

Cheapest one on the site,
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/casefanaccessories/kazeq
    A full list of them(first one is just after half way down)
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/casefanaccessories?sort=price&descending=yes&set=Set

Thanks, Ill get 2 of those you recommended, plug one into power supply and one into motherboard.

If its in power supply is it always on max speed or can I set it to low?

Ones plugged into the Power SUpply are always on max, while the PWM fans will ramp up when needed.

These fans are pretty quiet anyway (they are from QuietPC after all :P) so it won't matter too much.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    When it's plugged into the PSU it will be running at max all the time.

You could get a fan controller, then plug all your case fans into it and you can control the speeds at which they operate at. So when your browsing you could leave them on low and when your gaming turn them up.

Cheapest one on the site,
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/casefanaccessories/kazeq
    A full list of them(first one is just after half way down)
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/casefanaccessories?sort=price&descending=yes&set=Set

My case actually came with a fan controller, just didnt get around to installing it. Maybe Ill install, I do prefer controlling from within windows though.

Advertisement