Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me again

Options
  • 21-07-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have been talked out of an air rifle and steered towards an .22 rifle.Im not sure because i thought an air rifle would be easier licenced than a .22 rifle. I want for rabbits and targets so does anyone have advise????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

a.j.m1981 wrote: »
    I have been talked out of an air rifle and steered towards an .22 rifle.Im not sure because i thought an air rifle would be easier licenced than a .22 rifle. I want for rabbits and targets so does anyone have advise????

If your looking for an accurate cheap .22 , You wont go wrong with a cz 452 ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a.j.m1981

How cheap????
    thanx for reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

.22 Stay away from them..

go down to your Local gun store. theirs so many of them you get one half price if you wish. down in Bandon theirs a gun shop owner i got talking to him he was saying he has so many of the fu**kers. no one wants them. not many Land owners allow hunters in with a Rifle.

look stick with the air Rifle. Look into a gas one as well. they cost around 900 euros but they can hit something at about 80 yards (i was told)

How cheap????
    thanx for reply

There is a cz 452 on irish guntrader for 200 euro at the moment ;)

Cork24 wrote: »

go down to your Local gun store. theirs so many of them you get one half price if you wish. down in Bandon theirs a gun shop owner i got talking to him he was saying he has so many of the fu**kers. no one wants them. not many Land owners allow hunters in with a Rifle.

look stick with the air Rifle. Look into a gas one as well. they cost around 900 euros but they can hit something at about 80 yards (i was told)

Interesting comment :confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info......Really like the air rifles but they seem a bit tricky to license. They are also alot more expensive. I mean why would i buy a 700 euro rifle with a tank 250 euro to shoot targets/rabbits within 60 yards when i could buy a .22 for 300 euro and shoot them at 80 yards plus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

What a load of horse sh1t!

Get yourself a .22 lr.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Interesting comment :confused:

To say the least.

Why? Whats wrong with them?
    go down to your Local gun store. theirs so many of them you get one half price if you wish.

There are so many because they are a hugely popular rifle/caliber, and are probably the most licensed caliber rifle in the country.
    down in Bandon theirs a gun shop owner i got talking to him he was saying he has so many of the fu**kers. no one wants them.

I really don't even know how to respond to that. I have 2, and pretty much every one of the 600 members of the mdlands have one, as does every one i shoot with, everyone i know, and a serious amount of lads on here. See my above comment on popularity.
    not many Land owners allow hunters in with a Rifle.

What are you basing that on? your experience with SOME landowners in your locality. I have NEVER had a land owner ask me what caliber i'm using or planning on using, and/or telling me i cannot use a certain firearm on his/her lands. Once the vermin are kept down they don't care how its done.

€900 :eek:. Are you serious?

For €900 the OP could have a fully set up .22lr, with scope, sling, bipod, and enough left over for a few thousand rounds of ammo, fuel for his car/jeep, and even enough for a bag of chips on the way home ................................................. every day for the season.:):D

Seriously though. A .22lr can do everything an air rifle can do and then everything a .22lr can do that an air rifle CANNOT do. A .22lr can reach and kill out to 200 yards. You loose target accuracy after say 100 - 120 yards, but with the right ammo and a good shot longer distances can be achieved. An air rifle can be good to 30 yards ( if you're using a 5-7 ft/lb rifle). Distances of up to 75 yards can be achieved with kill shots with a 9 -12 ft/lb rifle. After this you are not guaranteed.

Add to all this that the OP wants to shoot the occassional target. Air rifle events (while i'm not really into them myself) are shot at between 10 - 25mtrs. You would be up against some seriously dedicated rigs. A .22lr, even a hunting rifle, can be shot in numerous comps and while you will be up against other lads with more expensive rifles you have as good an opportunity as anyone as there are limits on scope power, rifle style, weight, etc. Plus a .22lr will easily hit a target with good/great results at 100yards. There are simply more comps available in most ranges for a .22lr. Air rifle comps seem to be limited mostly (but not always) to ISSF style shooting.

A .22lr is simply put, a more versatile rifle. Capable of much more than an air rifle alone. With the licensing of a .22lr being the same as an air rifle its a clear cut choice in my books.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thanks guys but i think im going to go for .22lr simply becuse its more effective and cheaper thanx for the comments. I know that the fac air rifles are 30ftlb plus but at a price i,l stick to the .22ltr or a .17 thanx guys

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

thanks guys but i think im going to go for .22lr simply becuse its more effective and cheaper thanx for the comments. I know that the fac air rifles are 30ftlb plus but at a price i,l stick to the .22ltr or a .17 thanx guys

A 22 is in or around 150 ft/lbs

• Advertisement

There is a cz 452 on irish guntrader for 200 euro at the moment ;)

thankx

First off you are going the right road ;). If this is your first rifle the .22lr is your best choice , simply the price of the ammo , it's so cheap to practice with and with your first rifle thats what it is all about .Getting as much trigger time as possible . The 17hmr is a great round but as a start off rifle it can be a bit expensive to practice with in my opinion. Either way you wont go wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Nothing wrong with an air rifle if that is what you want. But this guy. Is talking up his a:;

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ezridax wrote: »
    Seriously though. A .22lr can do everything an air rifle can do and then everything a .22lr can do that an air rifle CANNOT do.

The only thing the air rifle is better for is farm yard work and trees. Neither of which the OP seems solely interested in so a .22lr is probably a better fit.

Don't get wrong though PCP air rifles are serious bits of kit and a lot of fun. Most accurate firearm I've owned and with the best trigger has been an air rifle.

Also OP you don't need a scuba tank. I use a foot pump on my dads PCP and it takes about 2-3 minutes of pumping to fill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ajm,
    I am in the States right now so picking up guns is far easier. However, I do have a few at home. Here are a few thoughts.

For what you are thinking about doing, I think the 22LR is the way to go.

An air rifle, especially the good ones, can be more expensive than the 22LR. On the good side, their pellets/ammo is going to be about a cheap as you can get. The only thing cheaper would be rocks for a sling shot.:D

I have a few air rifles, I got lucky at an estate sale with a collector. I have a Diana RWS in side cock (54) and break barrel cock (52). They are serious firearms and just as deadly. They are in no way toys or anything to be confused with BB guns.

Also, consider how quiet the air rifle is. You'll be able to plink all day long, cheaply, and not have to worry about noise or ear protection.

Anyhow, for rabbits, I think you will find cocking the action after a single shot will become rather cumbersome. It is fine for the target shooting crowd, that's part of their game. Kudos to them for being able to hold such a heavy firearm that still, for that long.

I have a Ruger 10/22 at home and for what I do, she is perfect mostly target, but the odd shot at bunnies, and general merriment. When I shoot 22LR it tends to be, shall we say, a bit more rapid fire than the 223, 30-06, and so on. That's why I prefer the magazine fed auto's for 22's.

The lads on the board love the CZ 452. I hear great things about her, but strangely, do not have one of my own. She would probably be my choice for a bolt action.

Since it is probably just as hard to license a 22LR as it is an air rifle, your choice probably comes down to the price of ammo and/or how much you want to shoot.

I vote for a 22LR, specifically the Ruger 10/22.

Can some of the target shooters on the board speak to accuracy of an air rifle outdoors? Is an air rifle a clean kill on small game inside/outside/at all on small game inside of 50ya? Consider an air rifle that is capable of getting close to supersonic. Does that sound correct? What are these air rifles like at 50, 75, and 100ya? Is the drop comparable to the 22LR?

thanks for all the comments but still the .22 or the .17 wons for me.......,.even though the air rifels especially the pcp air arms s410/s510 or weireach hw 100 are beautiful pieces of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

thanks for all the comments but still the .22 or the .17 wons for me.......,.even though the air rifels especially the pcp air arms s410/s510 or weireach hw 100 are beautiful pieces of kit

I'd say go for the 22lr. The 17hmr is loud and expensive to be practicing with. 6 euro for 50 vs 20 euro for 50. The 22lr is a brilliant cartridge, it's not to be underestimated.

ArseLtd wrote: »
    I'd say go for the 22lr. The 17hmr is loud and expensive to be practicing with. 6 euro for 50 vs 20 euro for 50. The 22lr is a brilliant cartridge, it's not to be underestimated.
    +1
    a.j.m - check the price of any ammo before you buy a gun.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with an air rifle if that is what you want. But this guy. Is talking up his a:;

please tell me ?

i have often seen guys using a rifle trying to shoot a bird that on top of a Shed roof. i bet that safe shooting is it ?

i wouldnt waste my money on a .22

So what do you shoot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

please tell me ?

i have often seen guys using a rifle trying to shoot a bird that on top of a Shed roof. i bet that safe shooting is it ?

Can you rephrase that post?

It makes no sense to me?
    You think a .22lr ;or .22 Air rifle is a waste of money , and Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Go get yourself a nice second hand .22lr. A good nick cz452 with scope can be got for under 500 quid. Tick the box on the form for a suppressor and get a farmer friend(ideally one with a few horses)to write you a letter stating that you can hunt on his land as long as you use a suppressed firearm so you don't scare his pregnant mares into dropping their foals(almost a guarantee for a mod licence:) ) and then get a few boxes of sub-sonic rounds(6-7 bucks for 50) and relax,hunting and plinking away in near silence for the rest of your days:) good luck and happy hunting! ps: don't listen to anyone saying nobody wants the .22lr anymore.It is by FAR the most popular round in the world (roughly 2.5-3 billion cartridges produced annually). I don't know a serious shooter round my way that doesn't have one:)

I have to say I love my .22lr. I have other caliber rifles but the .22 gets used the most

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had an Air rifle, 22 BSA Meteor (and a Webley 22 pistol) as a young lad and shot many a squirrel with it and any other bird that came within range :o. But that was many a year ago.

Now I have a 22lr and it's the rifle that comes out for shooting with the most. Get yourself a CZ 22lr and you won't regret it.

cj

please tell me ?

Can you rephrase that post?

It makes no sense to me?
    You think a .22lr ;or .22 Air rifle is a waste of money , and Why?

I have a browning shotgun, beretta shotgun Both over and under.

I think a .22 lr are a waste of money some one clamed 300 yard range.

max 150 yards and it starts to dip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

that comment sort of proves that YOU should leave the rifle advise to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Op you wont regret a 22lr and may find if you get a good one you will have it for ever even if you get larger calibers later on. Listen to the regular posters here who use them, alot of lads here who shoot deer still have a place for a good 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Stick to your shotguns mate, because you obviously know feck all about rifle shooting.

Its a bit worrying though that you're giving advice to a novice shooter on here about a subject you know nothing about, and yes, I own a .22LR aswell and it was my fathers before mine and is responsible for killing possibly 1000s of rabbitts and close range foxes over the decades.

You cant get a better starter rifle then a .22lr especially when you take costs into account and maximum range for beginners

So what's the range of your shot guns.

You obviously know nothing about ballistics.
    A bullet is falling from the second it leaves the barrel.
    It flies in an arc known as a trajectory. The faster the bullet will give a longer arc.

A .22lr sub sonic travels between 1000-1100fps below the speed of sound.

I have my cz 452. 0'd at 75yards.
    This means that at closer range (I use a mildot scope) I use the mil dot up from centre to account for the arc of the bullet at 75 it's bang on and at 100y it's the mildot down from centre. I have used my cz to great effect out to 150y on rabbits.

Every rifle has a trajectory. My .223 was 0'd at 100y and it was low at 200 and so on.

You would be better served reading up a bit more before you comment on something you know nothing about.

Or even better. Go out and buy a .22lr and enjoy it like millions of people all over the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Irishwolf81

Having read your post it is clear to me you have no idea of what you are talking about. The .22lr is a fantastic round for practicing and learning to shoot, if you take the time to understand the ballistics of a .22 and learn how to shoot the rifle correctly you will be well on your way to becoming a good shot. It is an ideal caliber for rabbits and the ammo is cheap, for as long as I shoot no matter how many guns I have I will always have a .22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, I think this has derailed sufficiently. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement