Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High ranking on Bing & Yahoo Low ranking on Google

Options
  • 21-07-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am trying to help my friend's website for his window business

He has PVC window replacement business

www.allirelandwindows.com

We are hoping that the website would come up when people searched the following

"PVC windows Ireland"

&

"PVC windows Dublin"

(Although, he based in Waterford, most of his work is in the Dublin Area)

I have helped him structure his site to suit the search engines. Using Title tags, metatags, relevant content etc.

After tweaking the structure, we are ranked #12 on Bing/ Yahoo for these searches, which is a good start

While 99% of searches probably don't go to the second page at least hopefully with some tweaking we can get the website into the top 10

HOWEVER, we are not coming anywhere in the google searches. We are listed on Google, but if i search those terms our site dosnt come up in the top 100

:(

As I mentioned earlier, I am out of the game awhile.

Obviously, Google is the one to be ranked high on

I remember that when you were structured correctly that usually ALL the search engines would have you up there

Has something changed with Google?

Is my site now not Google friendly ?

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

A few quick pointers to get you going - You need to use your preferred search phrase as your h1, include it in your content bolded ( </strong> ) , set Ireland as your preferred country in Google Webmaster Tools, get a few inbound links using it (PVC windows Ireland) as your anchor text.

In the long run you need a good meta description to increase your CTR, convert your layout from table-based to CSS and some relevant alt text on your images wouldn't go astray.

There's a ton of other stuff but just get the basics right first and worry about that later.

Have a read of this too http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

At risk of flogging a deadun here, get links from other website pointing at your website and with the anchor text "PVC windows Ireland"

Small business websites and legitimate blogs are the best, I haven't looked at the numbers on this keyword but something like that would usually take only about 10 or so links to get on page one, and then a slow climb to no. 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

cormee wrote: »
    A few quick pointers to get you going - You need to use your preferred search phrase as your h1, include it in your content bolded ( </strong> ) , set Ireland as your preferred country in Google Webmaster Tools, get a few inbound links using it (PVC windows Ireland) as your anchor text.

In the long run you need a good meta description to increase your CTR, convert your layout from table-based to CSS and some relevant alt text on your images wouldn't go astray.

There's a ton of other stuff but just get the basics right first and worry about that later.

Have a read of this too http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

Thanks for your help cormee

The latest is as follows:

I reviewed that google seo stuff. I uploaded a file onto my site that made the website more Ireland specified. I also adjusted some of my H1 tags as you suggested. (I intend to take out the tables too)

On Yahoo for "PVC Windows Dublin" we are ranked #9
    On Yahoo for "PVC Windows Ireland" we are ranked #4

This is great. Obviously

On Bing for "PVC Windows Dublin" we are ranked #23

Not bad. Hopefully with some more tweaking & links we can get into the top ten

However, we are still nowhere on Google :(

On Google for "PVC Windows Dublin" we are ranked #99
    On Google for "PVC Windows Ireland" we are ranked #143

As google is the most popular search engine I really am only concerned about it.

This has me totally confused. I once recall that if your site is search engine friendly that it should rank on ALL search engines

Why does yahoo love me?

Why does Google hate me?

:)

Market myself online. Thanks for the input. I will endevour to get some links. I suggested url to DMOZ so hopefully I might get some kudo form that

Thanks for any and all suggestions

MR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Andersy

it is important for you to get good ranking in Google to use Google services to create back links. For example, build links at Google blogs, Google Knol, Google News, Google plus, Buzz Google, Google Profiles. No doubt, these all are no follow links, they will not provide you link juice, but they will rank your website better in Google.
    Also Ping your Site map in Google 4-5 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

Fyi - google ignores metadata

Dubal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 AK100AK

dubal wrote: »

Dubal

This is NOT true, Google ignores meta keywords but not the meta title and meta description, this is the part in the search snippett in the search engines, bet if that is one thing that is done it will have some improvements. 70 characters for meta title and 150 characters for meta description. Google penalises duplicate meta titles and meta descriptions also the content within the meta tags that are too short so maximise this space! Use the Google keyword tool along with your own intuition as to what best to optimise for. Also monitor Google Analytics you will need to put the code between the two body tags and this will show you where the visitors are coming from and what the site is currently being found for. Just make sure to exclude your own IP address.

The website is hosted in Ireland which automatically helps along with what Cormee suggested a .com should be geographically targeted in Google Webmaster Tools along with a gsm.aspx sitemap submitted or an xml sitemap so all your pages can be indexed for any issues http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Also windows appears too frequently in the body, need to strike a balance between featuring the word and not making it look spammy.

Hi

Thanks for your help. I submitted a sitemap, put "Ireland" as preferred country and tried to cut down on using the word "windows"

For some reason google is not displaying the title page text

The Title page of www.allirelandwindows.com says "Pvc windows Dublin Ireland"

However, when i look up the site on google (Search term "All Irelaqnd Windows"), it displays "ALL IRELAND WINDOWS" and not the title tag "Pvc windows Dublin Ireland"

Anyone know why this is?

Hi

Thanks for your help. I submitted a sitemap, put "Ireland" as preferred country and tried to cut down on using the word "windows"

For some reason google is not displaying the title page text

The Title page of www.allirelandwindows.com says "Pvc windows Dublin Ireland"

However, when i look up the site on google (Search term "All Irelaqnd Windows"), it displays "ALL IRELAND WINDOWS" and not the title tag "Pvc windows Dublin Ireland"

Anyone know why this is?

Ignore previous

I am in top 10 for our search terms

Thanks for the help

So, at the moment i am ranked on google.com on the top page for

"pvc Windows Dublin"

This is good

HOWEVER, for some reason when i search the same term on google.ie, I am nowhere to be found

Why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

dubal wrote: »

Dubal

Untrue - Google doesn't specifically deal with Keyword meta tags but its not right to say it ignores it. It doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

So, at the moment i am ranked on google.com on the top page for

"pvc Windows Dublin"

This is good

HOWEVER, for some reason when i search the same term on google.ie, I am nowhere to be found

Why is this?

I'm not sure how you're measuring this - when I search Google.com from different IP's and PC's - I don't see you at the top

link8r wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you're measuring this - when I search Google.com from different IP's and PC's - I don't see you at the top

Sorry for late reply link8r. I was away for 2 weeks

I am in New York and I checked both .com and .ie

For .com I am #2

However for .ie I am down at #37

I have attached a screen shot of both

Obviously theis would be great if it was teh other way round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well i would have thought its kind of obvious..

People are NOT targeting all ireland windows in the .com google.. usa etc because ... they dont want to, or need to, because quite frankly people from ireland dont use the usa .com google... Im assuming go check for usa windows and u,ll see some serious competion. Simple

People (business's) such as yourself are targeting for those top serps in the Google.ie (ireland) serps because they can earn good gold coins from consumers from leads and what not.. Which thus leads to higher competion for the window market etc meaning your web marketing might get you to no1 in usa for "all ireland windows" but will not get you in ireland to no1 to quickly..

I hope ive made sense..

Advertisement