Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Darkstalkers Game Announced

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I always thought that gauging the interested in a brand new title through the sales of a downloadable re-release was a terrible practice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

deathrider wrote: »
    I always thought that gauging the interested in a brand new title through the sales of a downloadable re-release was a terrible practice.

If they release Streetfighter Alpha right now as DLC I probably wouldn't buy it.

That in no way means I'm not hype for Ultra SF4.

Similarly, if Capcom announced a new Darkstalkers I'd be a day one buy, as I was with MvC, SF4, Injustice, MK, KoFXIII and virtually every other FG. This is because I like FGs and want more. I DONT really want more old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

That may be, but a lot of people called bull**** on that statement, under the assumption that the Darkstalkers Are Not Dead teaser was proof of development and that Capcom was trying to make a quick buck off the hype.

Which would be fine, had they been right.
    If they release Streetfighter Alpha right now as DLC I probably wouldn't buy it.

That in no way means I'm not hype for Ultra SF4.

Similarly, if Capcom announced a new Darkstalkers I'd be a day one buy, as I was with MvC, SF4, Injustice, MK, KoFXIII and virtually every other FG. This is because I like FGs and want more. I DONT really want more old stuff.

I get where you're coming from, Doom, but the market is bigger than us, the veteran FG players. I myself didn't get into Street Fighter until I happened across you guys a couple of years ago; before that, my experience was limited to playing Street Fighter II at a friend's house and Street Fighter Alpha on my GameBoy Color. I didn't play Third Strike until well after SFIV, and I love playing it because it's newer and different to me.

The exact same goes for Darkstalkers. My experience was limited to a summer of playing with a friend on an emulator, but I loved it enough to be excited by the announcement of an online re-release and the possibility of a brand new one.

It might mean little to those who played them on their original run, but those of us who missed out and the younger generation who've never heard of it benefit from these updates a great deal more.

But, with that idea, why would the younger crowd download a game they know nothing about?

It might mean little to those who played them on their original run, but those of us who missed out and the younger generation who've never heard of it benefit from these updates a great deal more.

That's great and all and I would certainly never discourage people finding FGs and enjoying them in anyway that works for them, but basing the future of an entire franchise on whether an old game will sell or not- especially when Capcom have come out and said their fans are fatigued from these old releases- seems very silly.

You're correct about the hardcore not being everything, but indications are their influence is growing. UMvC basically flopped until WHENS MAHVEL? and it's become a sleeper hit off of the popularity of it on streams to the point where Capcom are looking for a way to continue the franchise.

Regardless, I just think it's F'in stupid to have an entire franchise relying on the sales of an old game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

But, with that idea, why would the younger crowd download a game they know nothing about?

Better marketing would have helped. I firmly believe that there would have been more interest if the Comic-Con teaser from last year had actually been released through Capcom's channels afterwards, instead of just attendees uploading crap recordings of it.
    Regardless, I just think it's F'in stupid to have an entire franchise relying on the sales of an old game.

Can't argue with you there.

I've got to agree with Doom. As I dais earlier, it's a silly idea to holding a new game at random over the sales of games that are, what? 10+ years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I actually think Street Fighter x Tekken being wildly unpopular hurt Darkstalkers more than just Resurrection flopping.
    Capcom alone have churned out too many fighters recently - both rereleases and new games - and all the other companies are doing likewise. Fatigue is setting in on all fronts and people are just not buying every fighter that's released. (If you'd told me 2 years ago that I would end up not buying SFxT I would have slapped you.)

I get the feeling Capcom are going to bottle up on fighters for a while now after Ultra. Maaaaybe a patch/DLC pack for Marvel, but I'd say that's the absolute last we'll see until SF5 2 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But SFxT didn't flop because there were too many fighters.

It flopped because it's boring and full of timeouts.
    :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

As someone who watched the golden age of music games come and go, and then watched them die from saturation, I really hope the people behind Fighting games don't lead the genre down the same road. Activision essentially killed the music game console scene in two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Most people didn't know that going in. It looks hype as **** in trailers.

I did know it before hand and it was enough to put me off buying it - but I've bought faaaar worse fighters launch day knowing full well they're awful. Now we've reached the point where I am getting picky with my choices simply because there's such a ridiculous amount of them.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

To be fair I think it's a lot more complex than that.

SFxT should probably been the dawn of a new age for the FG genre, but I think multiple issues conspired against that -the gem fiasco- gems could have been cool if implemented correctly and if the DLC ones genuinely weren't better than the on disc ones- the on disc DLC that the mainstream press latched on to, despite the fact that there were easily enough chars to believe the DLC was budgeted seperately, the amount of unusual mechanics being experimented with (look how neutered Pandora was with fear) and all of this tore down the initial huge hype the game had. Remember the genuine positivity people had when playing the initial build. It looked FUN. I bet Capcom were expecting to put SF4 to rest with it. I'd be 90% confident Capcom were planning Super SFxT with the new chars and a rebalance.

Instead, SFxT will forever be remembered as a shark jumping moment for Capcom that the fighting game genre is still healing to this day. I don't enjoy SFxT much personally but I'm sure it's better than the death it's died with the patch. I'm sure SFxT ruined a lot of plans for Capcom's fighting game "division".
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    As someone who watched the golden age of music games come and go, and then watched them die from saturation, I really hope the people behind Fighting games don't lead the genre down the same road. Activision essentially killed the music game console scene in two years.

I've already watched it happen :( Stupid 3d fighters, stupid digitised graphics.

You would hope they'll not make the same mistake again... hope.

I didn't think anybody bought every fighter on day one. I've enjoyed this genre since I was a, kids, but I've probably passed by more titles than I've bought. I wouldn't just buy fighters just because they're fighters. They'd have to have a but more pull on them for me than that... Unless they're Bio F.R.E.A.K.S, I'll always but them if they're Bio F.R.E.A.K.S :p

Also, did SFxT flop? I know it didn't go down great with a lot of fighting game fans, but I thought it would have sold extremely well to casual gamers, especially since pretty much everyone in Ireland plays a little bit of Tekken.

I didn't think anybody bought every fighter on day one. I've enjoyed this genre since I was a, kids, but I've probably passed by more titles than I've bought. I wouldn't just buy fighters just because they're fighters. They'd have to have a but more pull on them for me than that... Unless they're Bio F.R.E.A.K.S, I'll always but them if they're Bio F.R.E.A.K.S :p

Also, did SFxT flop? I know it didn't go down great with a lot of fighting game fans, but I thought it would have sold extremely well to casual gamers, especially since pretty much everyone in Ireland plays a little bit of Tekken.

Flop is strong, it sold a few million, but it didn't sell what Capcom wanted it to.

Flop is strong, it sold a few million, but it didn't sell what Capcom wanted it to.

Does anything really sell what Capcom wants these days? Those lads' expectations are ridiculously high.

Advertisement