Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hemp sacks for storing potatoes

Options
  • 21-07-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could get these and how much I should expect to pay?

Would a good sturdy cardboard box (covered to keep out the light) be just as good for keeping the spuds in good condition?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

jprboy wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get these and how much I should expect to pay?

Would a good sturdy cardboard box (covered to keep out the light) be just as good for keeping the spuds in good condition?

You can make a potato coral or box out of wood Just need a good cement floor and wall in a shed/garage to build it against. Nail two sides and a front together and cover the box with cardboard to keep the light out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

It has been discussed in another thread (I can't remember which one) the importance of keeping your potatoes frost free over the winter. Frost has damaged potatoes stored in some sheds and garages in recent years.

brian_t wrote: »
    It has been discussed in another thread (I can't remember which one) the importance of keeping your potatoes frost free over the winter. Frost has damaged potatoes stored in some sheds and garages in recent years.

Thats why you use cardboard to cover the top of the bin, it insulates the potatoes just enough to keep the frost off. The commercial potato guys store there stocks in cold stores over the winter. The trick with storing any produce is to use your worst first and keep the best till last because no matter how good your store is the quality will decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Would an attic be suitable as opposed to a shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Thats why you use cardboard to cover the top of the bin, it insulates the potatoes just enough to keep the frost off. The commercial potato guys store there stocks in cold stores over the winter. The trick with storing any produce is to use your worst first and keep the best till last because no matter how good your store is the quality will decline.

I thought the cardboard was more to keep the light off them?

I had mine in a closed cardboard box and the frost still got them. The temps were just so low......

At what temps do the commercial people store them at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

redser7 wrote: »
    Would an attic be suitable as opposed to a shed?

I'm planning on moving them there temporarily (or another cool room) if we get temps similar to those of the last 2 winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The commercial potato guys store there stocks in cold stores over the winter.

This is misleading. Its my understanding that commercially potatoes are stored a little bit above Zero degrees celcius.

brian_t wrote: »
    This is misleading. Its my understanding that commercially potatoes are stored a little bit above Zero degrees celcius.

Actually I was pointing out that potatoes are kept at low temps for a period of time. I don't know were you live but were I am the day temp went above 0 celsius for most of the Winter. Its not the frost itself but the fluctations between temps that causes the cell damage so a cool dark shed with cardboard insulation on the outside of a wooden bin should simulate cold store conditions whilst limiting frost damage. The cardboard has two uses, it acts as insulation and more importantly limits the light exposure of the tubers.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

look fore jute, hessian or burlap sacks on ebay.ie

Advertisement