Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews bus service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

LFCFan wrote: »
    Do you not think that the disregard for their regular paying customers to ship out all their decent buses and drivers to London for the Olympics and hiring in a lot of shoddy rattly pieces of crap with drivers who don't care about leaving early or arriving late, is pretty poor customer care on the part of Matthews?

I'd say fair play to an Irish company winning a prestigious UK contract.

None of the buses I've been on lately have been shoddy. Some even have tables:D:D Now hopefully with the money they've earned from the Olympics they can improve what is an already stellar service.

kwoods wrote: »
    I find Matthews in the Morning from Drog very unreliable. It's 931 and I'm still waiting for the 9(here since 859 maybe they went early)?
    It's much better coming home from dub as you're on the first stop.
    All in all still better than those CIE wasters(why aren't they shut down?) but nowhere near German standards.

What?? The bus is a minute late during rush hour??? You poor dear... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

What?? The bus is a minute late during rush hour??? You poor dear... :pac:

Read again, it's 31 mins late ;)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'd say fair play to an Irish company winning a prestigious UK contract.

Yes, well done Matthews for a very good contract etc etc but why should that mean that their loyal customers who actually keep them in business should suffer? I'm sure some of the buses they have gotten as replacements are fine but there are plenty of dodgy ones too and drivers leaving early, arriving late and just not sticking to the Matthews standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

LFCFan wrote: »
    Yes, well done Matthews for a very good contract etc etc but why should that mean that their loyal customers who actually keep them in business should suffer? I'm sure some of the buses they have gotten as replacements are fine but there are plenty of dodgy ones too and drivers leaving early, arriving late and just not sticking to the Matthews standard.

Then why dont the dissatisfied customer take note of the number plate number or whatever and get in touch with matthews and complain, I'm sure if they do another thing like this again they will refrain from using whatever other companies buses and drivers because of the complaints they receive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Haven't noticed any of these issues on my daily Dundalk-Dublin commute. The wifi can be a bit on/off at times but it's always been the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

the wifi on Matthews has never worked for me... and I've tried on both my Android and XP laptop.
    I'm sure you might get a pretty crap connection after you jump through 25 different hoops but I think it's a bit of red herring sale

kormak wrote: »
    the wifi on Matthews has never worked for me... and I've tried on both my Android and XP laptop.
    I'm sure you might get a pretty crap connection after you jump through 25 different hoops but I think it's a bit of red herring sale

It's only worked in Internet Explorer on my laptop, or the default explorer on my phone. Sometimes I think the driver has to switch it on as the network is detected on some buses and not on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Well I use the service from time to time and always has been a great service on time and gets me to the city centre also for 12 euros compared to the sham of 29.20 for a day return on the train... And dont forget the free wifi .

Has it not gone up to €14?

CMpunked wrote: »
    It has.

The cheaper option is the 100x from the depot. I think its still €10 return and they use the port tunnel to drop you at the quay or outside trinity. It goes to the airport though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Where does it stop in relation to trinity ?? Also how long does it take ? thanks

Little Pea wrote: »
    Where does it stop in relation to trinity ?? Also how long does it take ? thanks

Nassau St. I think. Not sure how long it takes but it's a bit longer, has to do a full loop around the airport on the ways.

Buttonftw wrote: »

Nassau St. I think. Not sure how long it takes but it's a bit longer, has to do a full loop around the airport on the ways.
    It stops outside the conference centre, then south side of the river, then outside the front gates of trinity then at the top of Dawson st.

It takes a little bit longer to get to the cc because of the airport stop. But it won't do the city north hotel stop and uses the tunnel so it skips the dcu and st pats stop the Matthews bus does plus all the northside traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

It stops outside the conference centre, then south side of the river, then outside the front gates of trinity then at the top of Dawson st.

It takes a little bit longer to get to the cc because of the airport stop. But it won't do the city north hotel stop and uses the tunnel so it skips the dcu and st pats stop the Matthews bus does plus all the northside traffic.

Sounds good to me then , so takes roughly 1.30 mins to get from Dundalk to Nassau St ?? Thats perfect really considering I have to travel to Camden St area.

Where does the Matthews stop in relation to trinity ? The IFSC service i mean.

Sounds good to me then , so takes roughly 1.30 mins to get from Dundalk to Nassau St ?? Thats perfect really considering I have to travel to Camden St area.

Where does the Matthews stop in relation to trinity ? The IFSC service i mean.

I've never taken it from Dundalk, only to Drogheda, but I'd say that's fairly accurate. Since the 100x exits and enters the motorway from Junction 9 it doesn't go through the town like Matthews does.

The IFSC Matthews stops near the IFSC Luas stops I think, though I'm not 100% sure.

Also, only peak time 100x buses take express routes to Dublin. Some of the night ones go through the city centre to Santry and Balbriggan and take HOURS to get to Drogheda. Might be worth asking the driver just in case. And make sure the X is after the numbers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

A 10 journey ticket costs €60 which equates to €12 per day.
    It has.

The cheaper option is the 100x from the depot. I think its still €10 return and they use the port tunnel to drop you at the quay or outside trinity. It goes to the airport though.

According to Bus Eireann website, the 100x fare is €12 Drogheda-Dublin and €14 Dundalk-Dublin (both return)

The Matthews Bettystown service accepts Leap cards, and a return journey costs €11 when paid by card!

gipi wrote: »
    According to Bus Eireann website, the 100x fare is €12 Drogheda-Dublin and €14 Dundalk-Dublin (both return)

I think Bus Eireann have student discounts and 10 trip tickets too. No idea how much they are though.

I think Bus Eireann have student discounts and 10 trip tickets too. No idea how much they are though.

€39.90 if bought through buseireann.ie:

https://194.106.151.95/asp/eTicket_SelectTicket.asp?Origin=Drogheda&Destination=Dublin&date=10-AUG-2012

€35 for a student. Better than €60 for the Matthews, provided you don't mind getting up a bit earlier and don't go to Pats or DCU.

Actually for UCD students it's better as the bus drops off in Leeson St, so you can get a Dublin bus from there and miss all the city centre queueing and stops.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

€35 for a student. Better than €60 for the Matthews, provided you don't mind getting up a bit earlier and don't go to Pats or DCU.

Actually for UCD students it's better as the bus drops off in Leeson St, so you can get a Dublin bus from there and miss all the city centre queueing and stops.:D:D

Something I will have to look into.

Starting a masters course in September - It Alternates every 3 months between the IPA (1 minute from Lansdowne Dart Station) and UCD Belfield. Sounds like the 100x could be the ideal solution as I am not a huge fan of getting the train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Matthews bus do a UCD service now.

Bus leaves Dundalk at 6.30am, going through Drogheda and stopping at City North, and arrives UCD around 8.30am, and leaves in the evening again at 5.15pm (with additional 1.15pm services on Thursday and Friday).

And in relation to the Bus Eireann 10trip tickets, I *think* they're only valid for 5 consecutive days, whereas the Matthews bus tickets don't have an expiry date, it's just 10 trips on any route.

Matthews bus do a UCD service now.

Bus leaves Dundalk at 6.30am, going through Drogheda and stopping at City North, and arrives UCD around 8.30am, and leaves in the evening again at 5.15pm (with additional 1.15pm services on Thursday and Friday).

And in relation to the Bus Eireann 10trip tickets, I *think* they're only valid for 5 consecutive days, whereas the Matthews bus tickets don't have an expiry date, it's just 10 trips on any route.

Yea, I have been a frequent Matthews customer for years and they definitely have some advantages over Bus Eireann.

Just doing some research now and its hard to tell exactly what the best service is for me. It would seem that when I am going to the IPA (Lansdowne Road) getting the 100x to say Baggot St Lower and walking the rest of the way would the quickest and cheapest way to do it.

As for when I am in UCD - I could get the 100x out to Wilton Terrace and then just get a Dublin Bus into UCD and again that would be the cheapest method and maybe only slightly longer than the Matthews direct to UCD method.

The fact that the 10 trip from Bus Eireann has to be used within a 7 day period (Matthews does not have this restriction) is annoying but it would not be an issue if I was timetabled for a 5 day week...

100x timetable - http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1323684386-100X.pdf

Anyone know off hand which one of these stops would be the shortest walk to Lansdowne road?

Route 100X: Other pick-up points at: Baggot Street Lower, Pembroke St., Leeson Street, Dawson Street, Suffolk Street, Westmoreland St., Eden Quay.

I don't know too much about the Bus Eireann bus stops, I usually only get the 100x when going to the airport (and find it good for that, definitely good value!), but for when you are in Landsdowne Road, you could get the Matthews IFSC Bus to Connolly station and then a DART to Landsdowne Road - only really suits if you start at 9am or before however!

DRose1 wrote: »
    Yea, I have been a frequent Matthews customer for years and they definitely have some advantages over Bus Eireann.

Just doing some research now and its hard to tell exactly what the best service is for me. It would seem that when I am going to the IPA (Lansdowne Road) getting the 100x to say Baggot St Lower and walking the rest of the way would the quickest and cheapest way to do it.

As for when I am in UCD - I could get the 100x out to Wilton Terrace and then just get a Dublin Bus into UCD and again that would be the cheapest method and maybe only slightly longer than the Matthews direct to UCD method.

The fact that the 10 trip from Bus Eireann has to be used within a 7 day period (Matthews does not have this restriction) is annoying but it would not be an issue if I was timetabled for a 5 day week...

100x timetable - http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1323684386-100X.pdf

Anyone know off hand which one of these stops would be the shortest walk to Lansdowne road?

Route 100X: Other pick-up points at: Baggot Street Lower, Pembroke St., Leeson Street, Dawson Street, Suffolk Street, Westmoreland St., Eden Quay.

Baggot Street Lower would be the handiest for the IPA. Only bout 10 mins from there for you walk.

I will probably do a test run next week at some stage.

If your aim was to get to Tara dart station (So get Matthews bus and walk from parnell street... Get the 100x and get off close to Tara and coming out of the Port Tunnel) - Would the 100x and the Matthews take similar times considering Matthews has to deal with early morning traffic through Drumcondra etc and the 100x takes the Port Tunnel (even when factoring in the 100x stopping at the airport) ...

If yes to the above, the €35 (student rate) 10 journey for the 100x is far better than the €55 (student rate) 10 journey Matthews... (as long as you are timetabled for a 5 day week considering the 100x 10 trip has to be used within one week).

Looks like I will be able to completely avoid the Dart regardless of whether I am situated in the IPA or UCD which removes one expense for the year.

Anyone know if there is a reduction in fare prices using the leap card?

Anyone know if there is a reduction in fare prices using the leap card?

Yes there is (I mentioned it in an earlier post).

The single fare using leap is €5.50, which works out as €11 per day, cheaper than the 10 journey ticket and the standard return ticket.

It's only available on the Bettystown route at the moment.

gipi wrote: »
    Yes there is (I mentioned it in an earlier post).

The single fare using leap is €5.50, which works out as €11 per day, cheaper than the 10 journey ticket and the standard return ticket.

It's only available on the Bettystown route at the moment.

Ah. Doesn't help my cause. Any idea why its only available on that route?

Don't know - think it was a test run to see how it worked out for them.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe on Matthews' website?) that if it was successful, they'd extend it to the Drogheda/Dundalk services. That was a while back, so maybe when they're all back from d'Olympics, something might happen?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Their WIFI is shocking isn't reliable at all. I agree with other posters here saying the standards have slipped since the Olympics with the drivers that couldn't care less. I used to be greeted with a friendly smile and hello ,now its the opposite. You have let the side down Matthews.

Have to agree with the OP and to an extent a lot of the negative replies that have followed.

I'm an on-and-off customer with Matthews. I'd say I use them once every 4-6 months for hopping up and down to Drogheda.

Anyway, the penultimate time I used them - about 6 or 7 months ago, there was a fare hike of some sort. If I'm not mistaken, I was 50cents short of the new higher fare in change. This was at a stop in Drogheda and there was an ATM immediately across the road. It was a cold, rainy night and the next bus wasn't for another hour or hour and a half. When he said how much the fare was and I realised I was short, I explained it. I then said I could run to the ATM or pay at the end of the journey. His quote - and it was one of the arsiest things I've ever heard - "you can go to the ATM alright, but I'll be gone". *

Used them again there yesterday for the first time since. Sorry to say the service has slipped even further still. 9euro single to Drogheda now makes them substantially more expensive than Bus Eireann and not far off Irish Rail.

Anyway, the driver was unfriendly, one of the luggage doors was hanging open when it arrived, the Wifi was broken and the aircon was bizarrely cold.

Really poor, and given how much BusEireann have come on, I'll be happy to use them in the future.

*For anyone who (rightly) will say "you should've checked online" - I did check their website and nowhere from the homepage to the timetable was a fare increase (and I think it was 2-3eur?) flagged. I subsequently checked after that, and there were two conflicting fare amounts on their site.

Advertisement