Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews bus service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It has.

The cheaper option is the 100x from the depot. I think its still €10 return and they use the port tunnel to drop you at the quay or outside trinity. It goes to the airport though.

Saying €12 for me here:

http://busfare.co.uk/cgi-bin/eireann.isa/EXEC

Are you sure its the 100x?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fogboy

Matthews remind me of Ryanair... The seats arn't "uncomfortable"but there is no legroom what so ever they try to squeeze as many seats as possible on a coach. 61 seats on a single axle bus is a sin. The drivers don't say a word to you even to give you information about the service. They are frequently on the phone. The day services are nearly always on time but the night buses past 10:30 are always 10-15 mins late which I don't mind but it is a very rough street and I don't feel safe standing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I literally watched as a guy dragging a suitcase, ran out of Glenwood as the bus was pulling off from the stop. Now he was waving and shouting at the driver, and I know for a fact the bus driver seen him,and drove casually by and left the poor fella standing there on the corner.. Am thinking to myself 'are you havin a f*#K*#g laugh ya c*#t,where does he think he is 'Piccadilly Circus London'!! .... Anyway sorry about the rant, I just think the drivers need to chillax, reminds me of 'some' doormen who think they're FBI:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

ardle1 wrote: »
    I literally watched as a guy dragging a suitcase, ran out of Glenwood as the bus was pulling off from the stop. Now he was waving and shouting at the driver, and I know for a fact the bus driver seen him,and drove casually by and left the poor fella standing there on the corner..

The drivers leave bang on time and they don't wait for anyone. I know its harsh, but it punctuality like that which earns them their reputation and contracts.

It happened to me a few times and now im always there no later than 25 past.

Poor fella, but theres always the option of taxiing up to dcu and overtaking the bus when its in drumcondra, or walking to the quays for the 100x, which is cheaper and sometimes faster during rush hour.

The drivers leave bang on time and they don't wait for anyone. I know its harsh, but it punctuality like that which earns them their reputation and contracts.

Poor fella, but theres always the option of taxiing up to dcu and overtaking the bus when its in drumcondra, or walking to the quays for the 100x, which is cheaper and sometimes faster during rush hour.

Looking at 120 quid for that taxi :pac:

As for the rest, I've never had a bus go late at night. Stopping away from bus-stops isn't about timing, they're simply not allowed to do it because of licencing terms and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Looking at 120 quid for that taxi :pac:

As for the rest, I've never had a bus go late at night. Stopping away from bus-stops isn't about timing, they're simply not allowed to do it because of licencing terms and the like.

yeah yeah we know all that rubbish(BTW I know it's not literally rubbish,it's all legal and binding) about insurance,licencing blah blah blah, what about common human courtesy, the driver was an asshole, simple as. Done and dusted. I'm driving a taxi 10yrs now, and every weekend I could leave a member of the public stranded or in distress or I could just drive away like an asshole!! BUT I DONT.

ardle1 wrote: »
    yeah yeah we know all that rubbish(BTW I know it's not literally rubbish,it's all legal and binding) about insurance,licencing blah blah blah, what about common human courtesy, the driver was an asshole, simple as. Done and dusted. I'm driving a taxi 10yrs now, and every weekend I could leave a member of the public stranded or in distress or I could just drive away like an asshole!! BUT I DONT.
    I'm not sure I quite get the comparison. Do you regularly give people free lifts towards the end of the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Had a bad experience with Matthews last week. Me and a friend got the 9.30pm bus back from Dublin to Dundalk. When we got to Drogheda, my friend (who has a broken leg at the minute) asked the driver if he'd be able to get off for a piss. Didn't expect a yes so we were willing to get off as his 'situation' was bad. However, the driver nodded and let him off. He was only off 10 seconds when the driver 'tutted', closed the doors and drove off, splitting me from my friend.

At first I was too busy laughing to approach the driver, but I did about half a mile up the road. I questioned him on why he drove off despite allowing him off. All I got was a shrug and a tap of his watch. As my friend had no phone or wallet (left his bag with me on the bus), and therefore no way home, I had to get the driver to stop the bus (surprised he did) and walk back to Dominics.

Before someone says so, I know the driver shouldn't, and doesn't stop to allow people to piss. However, he should have just said so, so we could both get off the bus. He said yes to my friend's request and then drove off when he got off the bus. Pure rudeness on his behalf.

I've never met a Matthews' driver who I could describe as friendly. It seems like none of them want to speak to you. I'm not expecting a full blown chat going up the motorway, but just a reply to a question would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

Anybody know how much Matthews drivers get paid? Can't imagine it's as good as the folk at Bus Éireann.

Keep in mind these guys are probably under pressure to maintain a schedule and don't have the kind of union protections that others do.

Also keep in mind that BE are losing 11m a year as of last report and they're either going to have to cut costs or increase fares. I'd suspect Matthews fares are more realistic in relation to their costs.

Nobody is disputing that they're under pressure. I've no doubt it's a tough job. However, there's plenty of other private coach/bus companies who's drivers are under the same pressure, yet never have I met such drivers as Matthews employ.

I find Collins' great overall. Shame they don't do a service home later from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't believe pay has anything to do with the level of service received personally.

If they don't treat their customers well then they lose their customers and consequently their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Had a bad experience with Matthews last week. Me and a friend got the 9.30pm bus back from Dublin to Dundalk. When we got to Drogheda, my friend (who has a broken leg at the minute) asked the driver if he'd be able to get off for a piss. Didn't expect a yes so we were willing to get off as his 'situation' was bad. However, the driver nodded and let him off. He was only off 10 seconds when the driver 'tutted', closed the doors and drove off, splitting me from my friend.

At first I was too busy laughing to approach the driver, but I did about half a mile up the road. I questioned him on why he drove off despite allowing him off. All I got was a shrug and a tap of his watch. As my friend had no phone or wallet (left his bag with me on the bus), and therefore no way home, I had to get the driver to stop the bus (surprised he did) and walk back to Dominics.

Before someone says so, I know the driver shouldn't, and doesn't stop to allow people to piss. However, he should have just said so, so we could both get off the bus. He said yes to my friend's request and then drove off when he got off the bus. Pure rudeness on his behalf.

I've never met a Matthews' driver who I could describe as friendly. It seems like none of them want to speak to you. I'm not expecting a full blown chat going up the motorway, but just a reply to a question would be nice.
    I have a feeling that you are not telling us the full story here.

Pighead wrote: »
    I have a feeling that you are not telling us the full story here.

Believe (or don't) what you want but I've no reason to lie. 100% truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Believe (or don't) what you want but I've no reason to lie. 100% truth.
    Where either of you drunk?

Why were you giggling for half a mile down the road when the bus driver pulled off?

Where either of you drinking on the bus?

Are you sure the driver only waited ten seconds? sounds implausible. Either he's gonna flat out refuse to let you off the bus or else he'll say you are getting off but won't get back on. Why would he wait ten seconds before driving off?

Pighead has been on the Matthews Bus plenty of times and the drivers are very reasonable unless the passengers have been drinking/causing trouble on the bus.

Pighead has been mulling over your story for two whole days now and it just doesn't add up. Just can't shake the feeling that you're not telling us EVERYTHING! If Pighead has this wrong then he sends you his sincere apologies.

Where either of you drunk?

Had one pint about 6 hours prior, so no.
    Why were you giggling for half a mile down the road when the bus driver pulled off?

1) I've just seen my friend (with his togs down at his ankles) getting left in an alley as he was pissing. I've an odd sense of humour, but I found it funny, initially.

2) I wasn't sure what the best thing to do was. Also took him a fair bit to acknowledge me when I tried to bring this to his attention
    Where either of you drinking on the bus?

Again, no.
    Are you sure the driver only waited ten seconds? sounds implausible. Either he's gonna flat out refuse to let you off the bus or else he'll say you are getting off but won't get back on. Why would he wait ten seconds before driving off?

100%. He nodded to let him off, looked at the watch, tutted, sat down and drove off. No clue why he didn't just say "no". That's the point I'm trying to make. Either say "no" (which would be the norm) or wait for the lad.
    Pighead has been on the Matthews Bus plenty of times and the drivers are very reasonable unless the passengers have been drinking/causing trouble on the bus.

Pighead has been mulling over your story for two whole days now and it just doesn't add up. Just can't shake the feeling that you're not telling us EVERYTHING! If Pighead has this wrong then he sends you his sincere apologies.

Honestly, I don't bull****. I have no reason to lie. The one thing I hate on a bus journey is people with drink in them, or those who make others journeys uncomfortable. I wouldn't do that. I slept the whole way to Drogheda, only woke up as my friend was trying to tell me the situation.

There were others on the bus who looked shocked when he drove off, but I wouldn't expect them to have done/said anything. I made a complaint about the driver afterwards but I doubt that's taken any notice of.

Like I said, believe me if you wish. However, if I wanted to get make up a story to get some attention then I'd think of something a bit less complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Fogboy wrote: »
    Matthews remind me of Ryanair... The seats arn't "uncomfortable"but there is no legroom what so ever they try to squeeze as many seats as possible on a coach. 61 seats on a single axle bus is a sin. The drivers don't say a word to you even to give you information about the service. They are frequently on the phone. The day services are nearly always on time but the night buses past 10:30 are always 10-15 mins late which I don't mind but it is a very rough street and I don't feel safe standing on it.

I go on their late bus regularly and it has always left on time, can't understand why it is always late for you.
    There are timetables available to you as you get onto the bus, so there is no need to ask the driver for that information.
    I agree with you that it is not a safe street, but where else can they pick up in the city centre that is safe and has low traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I wouldn't tar all the Matthews drivers with the same brush, but there defintely one or two that are nothing short of pig ignorant. I had one guy who could see me coming towards his bus... 7 o clock in the morning in a country location and he still tried to drive off. Only for I banged on the side of the bus he would have been gone. Then he just grunts at me when I do get on. Again, I wasn't late but I wasn't standing waiting for him when he arrived. I was 20 yards from that spot though...

Hillarious antics on the Matthews Bus this morning...
    Some Dundalk chap sitting near the front asks the driver can he get off at the Drogheda McDonalds stop to grab a cup of tea!!
    The driver (quite rightly) says "if you can get your tea and be back before I'm pulling off, then no problem".
    We get to the stop and there's 2 people waiting to get on...
    amazingly he hops off and runs into the Texaco.
    Bus onbviously pulls off (it's already late and 50odd people need to get to work/college,etc..)
    He then runs out flapping hands at the driver who's now at the bus depot traffic lights...but still goes back in to get his tea!!
    Bus drives on up Donore Rd with your man running after it...
    Bus passes BD stop (no one there) and then has to stop at lights at Lidl.
    Your man runs the length of Donore Rd (tea in hand) and is banging on the bus to get on.
    Bus driver says "I can't let you on here in traffic + I've already told you there's no food and drink on the bus!!"
    Guy goes bezzerk on the side of the road...
    All very funny... felt sorry for your man but can totally understand the bus driver as well.
    You can't just hold up a morning bus service just cause you want a cup of tea!! lol :pac:

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That is nuts. He then went back for his tea after the bus pulled off!

No doubt he is giving out about the standard of service that Matthews is offering to anyone that will listen!

• Advertisement

I'm more impressed with his hot tea run up that road. That's a fine hill and a long road !

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

When you say 'Some Dundalk chap' did you mean to say 'Usain Bolt'?

LFCFan wrote: »
    When you say 'Some Dundalk chap' did you mean to say 'Usain Bolt'?

I dunno Dundalk greography hugely well, but he says he ran from his house in MuirhevnaMor to the Topaz/Bus stop in 5 minutes!!
    Bus driver reckons he was late for this stop aswell but managed to get on it and then asked him did he have time to grab a cup of tea here too!! HAHA

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'm more impressed with his hot tea run up that road. That's a fine hill and a long road !
    has to be at least 1.5 miles from McDonalds to Lidl?
    Like a madman he was... I warned the bus driver at the toll that he was probably still tearing up the M1 after him!

petes wrote: »
    That is nuts. He then went back for his tea after the bus pulled off!

No doubt he is giving out about the standard of service that Matthews is offering to anyone that will listen!

well this is it...
    you hear so many stories on here about the "disgraceful behaviour of Mr Matthews bus driver..." witnessing something like this would make you wonder about two sides of a story!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wait a sec, the bus driver told him that he could get a cup of tea if he was quick enough and then when he finally reached the bus, he wasn't let on because he had a cup of tea? I'm presume I'm missing something here because otherwise the driver was being a smartass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, you're certainly missing the point. More power to that driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

go-on-go-on.gif

t-1000-running-o.gif

• Advertisement

t-1000-running-o.gif

Ha! this exact image sprung to mind.

or at least this one

Advertisement