Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews bus service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, you're certainly missing the point. More power to that driver!
    So... the driver was indeed being a smartass??

Maybe I just feel sympathetic towards the guy with his spilled tea. He was clearly desperate! The driver was being a tosser all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So... the driver was indeed being a smartass??

Maybe I just feel sympathetic towards the guy with his spilled tea. He was clearly desperate! The driver was being a tosser all the same.

Yet again you have picked it up wrong. The driver was spot on and the passenger was acting the tosser.
    This has made me see Matthews's buses in a new and positive light. It's time young twats like your man and his tea realised what is acceptable and what isn't.

Yet again you have picked it up wrong. The driver was spot on and the passenger was acting the tosser.
    This has made me see Matthews's buses in a new and positive light. It's time young twats like your man and his tea realised what is acceptable and what isn't.
    Sorry about that. But it still reads like the driver said it was grand to get tea if that fella was back in time. Only to (eventually) say "no food or drink on board". Also, young twats?? You lost me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sorry about that. But it still reads like the driver said it was grand to get tea if that fella was back in time. Only to (eventually) say "no food or drink on board". Also, young twats?? You lost me there.
    The driver (quite rightly) says "if you can get your tea and be back before I'm pulling off, then no problem"

To me that reads like the driver saying 'If you can get off the bus, get your tea, drink it and be back here before I pull off, go for it.'

He was dead right to drive away without him. Yer man was a bit silly for getting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Ah come off it will ye!
    A driver shouldnt have to put up with unreasonable requests or degrade the service of a morning commuter bus, just cause some dope wants to suit himself?!
    By all accounts he was told at Dundalk, there's a no food and drink policy on the bus and still tried his luck at Drogheda. What's the driver supposed to say...
    "No, you're not getting off this bus to get tea!!" or "yeah sound, I'll just be tipping up Donore Rd while you're getting yourself sorted... give's an auld wrap on the bus there when you've caught up with us!"

The driver was well within his moral judgement to do what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

He probably could have been a bit more tactful about it though lads.

What's the story with no food or drink on board? I've often brought water bottles on with me when using the service. Is this not permitted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

MugMugs wrote: »
    He probably could have been a bit more tactful about it though lads.

What's the story with no food or drink on board? I've often brought water bottles on with me when using the service. Is this not permitted?

Water must be allowed but anything else is prohibited by them.
    I find the tale of the passenger who got off to get a cup of tea hard to believe.

Water is allowed. It's hot drinks in flimsy paper cups that pose a safety hazard if nothing else.
    As in all things it's - within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Pulled up at the mcdonalds stop drogheda one day, early afternoon, and guy gets on with nothing only a four pack beer blatantly under his arm. He flashes a card at the driver (what is this btw he wasn't an oap and why don't I have one?) Anyway, driver says : ' you can come but your little friends habevto stay up here with me'!! Yer man chuckles and proceeds down aisle thinking driver joking! As predicted the driver calls him back and tells him look if you get on you leavevthe drink with me til you get off! The guy is incredulous! F$$k off he says ...... yer not havin me f$$kin drink! (As if the driver was just waiting to skull back a few cans of Dutch gold up the M1)

The driver barely raised his voiced., basically telling him look if u want to get to Dublin you leave the cans here! Anyway yer man left the cans and headed down the bus shouting abuse as he went , looking toward everyone like we d agree with his plight! When we came to Parnell he took his cans got off bud and started screaming abuse at the driver, who again barely acknowledged him! Tbh I would have thrown him off in drogheda!

How much of a scumbag do you have to be to have the shame/neck to walk onto a bus on a Tuesday afternoon with nothing but cans for your journey and to be so ignorant not to think that might be a problem!! I mean if he;d smuggled them on id nearly give him credit but he was oblivious to what the issue might be!

Nothing strange as folk! Id say the drivers see some sights!!!!! I always find the Matthews drivers to be very pleasant and accpmodating tbh! (Bar one guy who made me pay full fare for my elderly father (80's) when he'd forgotten pass....,,I understand rules are rules but surely discretion can be and usually is used!)

Pighead wrote: »
    The driver (quite rightly) says "if you can get your tea and be back before I'm pulling off, then no problem"

To me that reads like the driver saying 'If you can get off the bus, get your tea, drink it and be back here before I pull off, go for it.'

He was dead right to drive away without him. Yer man was a bit silly for getting off.
    I don't see your reading of it. Since when did "get" = drink?? I'll presume the passenger hadn't completely lost his marbles and decided to get a cup of tea after the driver told him he couldn't bring it on... Use your heads, lads! Also, the driver rightly didn't pull over just to indulge someone late getting back on the bus. Assuming this ever happened.

I'm 100% agreed with nomoreindie on this one, I think it's completely far-fetched.

• Advertisement

I don't see your reading of it. Since when did "get" = drink?? I'll presume the passenger hadn't completely lost his marbles and decided to get a cup of tea after the driver told him he couldn't bring it on... Use your heads, lads! Also, the driver rightly didn't pull over just to indulge someone late getting back on the bus. Assuming this ever happened.

I'm 100% agreed with nomoreindie on this one, I think it's completely far-fetched.

Ha! this is hillarious...
    are there some conspiracy theorists doubting this story?
    talk about over analsying stuff for the sake of an argument.
    Tell you what... if you don't believe me ask the driver himself next time you see him...young chap with a full tattoo sleeve on his right arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭alfman

It happened alright. I was on the same bus. Guy got off at Mc Donalds in Drogheda. He runs into shop. Bus starts pulling away. The guy casually walks out of shop waving at driver. At this point he could have easily run over and got back onto bus but instead he walks back into shop to get his tea. Then the guy starts running after the bus up the donore road with his tea in hand. Everytime he gets close to the bus the traffics starts moving again and the bus moves off until he finally catches up with bus and starts banging on door to get back in. Driver won't let him back on. Guy starts screaming abuse and chucks his precious cup of tea at the bus as it drives off. Tea hits the window I'm sitting at.
    Now guy has no tea and no bus to dublin so what was point in getting off in first place!!!

alfman wrote: »
    It happened alright. I was on the same bus. Guy got off at Mc Donalds in Drogheda. He runs into shop. Bus starts pulling away. The guy casually walks out of shop waving at driver. At this point he could have easily run over and got back onto bus but instead he walks back into shop to get his tea. Then the guy starts running after the bus up the donore road with his tea in hand. Everytime he gets close to the bus the traffics starts moving again and the bus moves off until he finally catches up with bus and starts banging on door to get back in. Driver won't let him back on. Guy starts screaming abuse and chucks his precious cup of tea at the bus as it drives off. Tea hits the window I'm sitting at.
    Now guy has no tea and no bus to dublin so what was point in getting off in first place!!!

Ohh I didn't realise he threw the cup of tea at the bus... Hahaha!!
    So after ALL that effort to get a simple brew into him, he chucks it at the bus driving off.
    Christ you couldn't write this stuff...

kormak wrote: »
    Christ you couldn't write this stuff...

I do believe you have :D

Completely far fetched? Jesus, you mustn't get out much. It sounds completely believable? What's so far fetched about it? If the OP had introduced a dragon and a fairy into the story as minor characters then it would have been far fetched but as it is it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Completely far fetched? Jesus, you mustn't get out much. It sounds completely believable? What's so far fetched about it? If the OP had introduced a dragon and a fairy into the story as minor characters then it would have been far fetched but as it is it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention... the guy had an Imp sitting on his shoulder the whole time and ehh he used a hoverboard to race up the Donore Rd after the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I've a return ticket (drogheda -dublin) that I got in January.
    I never used the return leg as I got a lift home.
    Is this still valid?

kbell wrote: »
    I've a return ticket (drogheda -dublin) that I got in January.
    I never used the return leg as I got a lift home.
    Is this still valid?

yup

Cheers, that's both ways I presume.
    I could use it tomorrow to go to dublin.
    Then get a one way for my return journey?

Matthews tickets are for a number of journeys. Direction does not matter.

• Advertisement

I honestly can't get over how mad the story sounds. Whatever about driver remarks, how did someone run up Donore Road in the space of a couple of minutes to catch up with the bus??? That bit alone made it a bit far-fetched. Lads. A bit of common sense is all, no conspiracy theories thank you very much! You'd swear it was indecent to be skeptical on the internet of all places...

@alfman, did he get to the Thatch where the bus was in the end or was he chancing his arm at traffic lights?

I honestly can't get over how mad the story sounds. Whatever about driver remarks, how did someone run up Donore Road in the space of a couple of minutes to catch up with the bus??? That bit alone made it a bit far-fetched. Lads. A bit of common sense is all, no conspiracy theories thank you very much! You'd swear it was indecent to be skeptical on the internet of all places...

@alfman, did he get to the Thatch where the bus was in the end or was he chancing his arm at traffic lights?

I don't find it indecent to be skeptical...
    I do find it indecent to rubbish a fellow poster's posts as "far-fetched".
    I'm not in the habit of coming on to public forums and making up stories.
    Believe me, I was also quite shocked to see 'the Dundalk Bolt' run the length of that road.

I run that road all the time, if you're reasonabley fit, it's not that difficult.
    As the Mathews bus turns onto Donore road there's plenty of opportunity for him to catch up with it as the bus can hit several points where it will have to stop.

Entrance to depot if cars/ buses are turning right.
    Entrance to small retail units.
    Entrance to buttergate apartments.
    Traffic lights.
    2nd entrance to ballsgrove.
    Mathews stop at BD.
    Traffic lights.
    Traffic lights.
    Mathews stop at thatch.

kbell wrote: »
    I run that road all the time, if you're reasonabley fit, it's not that difficult.
    As the Mathews bus turns onto Donore road there's plenty of opportunity for him to catch up with it as the bus can hit several points where it will have to stop.

Entrance to depot if cars/ buses are turning right.
    Entrance to small retail units.
    Entrance to buttergate apartments.
    Traffic lights.
    2nd entrance to ballsgrove.
    Mathews stop at BD.
    Traffic lights.
    Traffic lights.
    Mathews stop at thatch.
    Think your wasting your time here kbell. To_be_confirmed has his mind made up. The two boys have made the whole story up and we're all gullible fools for believing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tripster

I agree - bus this morning was 30 mins late ( I've never had a bus from Matthews that was on time ) ; then this afternoon on Parnell st had to put up with an ignorant rude driver who wouldn't tell me when the next bus to Monasterboice was due ; I tried another bus then who told me that he only goes as far as drigheda - so basically no 3:30 bus from Parnell st to Monasterboice despite what they say on their timetable ! Phoned Matthews bus to direct my complaints - not sure it was worth the effort . Take the train or bus Eireann - I certainly won't be using Matthews bus again !

I always found then punctual from or to Dundalk. Drivers are usually very pleasant as well. But I suppose like most things we will all have different experiences from time to time.
    Very much cheaper than the train!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tripster

I always found then punctual from or to Dundalk. Drivers are usually very pleasant as well. But I suppose like most things we will all have different experiences from time to time.
    Very much cheaper than the train!

Thanks Isaias Thankful Receipt - obviously you've been luckier than me . Personally I would rather pay the extra on the train and know that I'll reach my destination on time without having to suffer abuse from Matthews Bus staff

Tripster wrote: »
    I agree - bus this morning was 30 mins late ( I've never had a bus from Matthews that was on time )
    In fairness, this morning was Trafficageddon!!

kormak wrote: »
    In fairness, this morning was Trafficageddon!!

Sat for an hour and a half on the M50 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tripster wrote: »
    I agree - bus this morning was 30 mins late ( I've never had a bus from Matthews that was on time ) Take the train or bus Eireann - I certainly won't be using Matthews bus again !

Always suspicious of accounts who sign up solely to bash a group, but I will say that any time I've taken a Matthews, I've had no problems with times. Living in Grange Rath, I can nearly set my clock by their pick ups...

Advertisement