Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews bus service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

kormak wrote: »
    I don't find it indecent to be skeptical...
    I do find it indecent to rubbish a fellow poster's posts as "far-fetched".
    I'm not in the habit of coming on to public forums and making up stories.
    Believe me, I was also quite shocked to see 'the Dundalk Bolt' run the length of that road.
    I didn't rubbish anyone's contribution on boards beyond describing the story of a man running nearly a mile up a road with a cup of tea to catch a bus as far-fetched. If you think that constitutes some kind of personal attack, you know where the report post button is!

@Pighead try not to take some internet forum posts so personally would ya? I'm not the only person who was skeptical, and since I made my post more people have spoken about the story so you can give it a rest now! I think anyone who wasn't born yesterday and who lived in Drogheda would doubt someone running from the Waterfront to the old Coke factory in 5 minutes. Do you want a handwritten apology now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

some information for Drogheda users of Matthews buses

Matthews.ie have announced that they are moving the location of their Drogheda town centre stop from Monday October 28.

Matthews.ie will be moving to a new purpose-built bus stop at George’s Street, Drogheda, for Dublin-bound passengers.

The new Dublin-bound stop is situated across the road from the current Dundalk-bound stop at Dominic’s Take Away.

From Monday October 28, the existing bus stop at McDonald’s on the dual-carriageway will no longer operate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 whitegenocide

I emailed Matthews Bus over a month ago about an error on their website. At the bottom of this page , under luas green line connections, they have "Branelagh" listed as a destination. The actually stop is called "Ranelagh".

The company obviously doesn't take the customers' comments or complaints on board and is satified to be advertising false information. I won't be using their service ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

First post for that? As there is no such place or stop on the luas as Branelagh it's hardly earth shattering is it? I agree if they were informed they should correct it but it's not a reason to not use a good value service.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I emailed Matthews Bus over a month ago about an error on their website. At the bottom of this page , under luas green line connections, they have "Branelagh" listed as a destination. The actually stop is called "Ranelagh".

The company obviously doesn't take the customers' comments or complaints on board and is satified to be advertising false information. I won't be using their service ever again.

This is the funniest first post ever!!
    maybe they don't have ability to update their website and might rely on a 3rd party... have they actually responded to you?
    why am I even asking these questions, you clearly have a hidden agenda.

• Advertisement

On the same page under Red Luas line connections they have a stop listed as "St James Hospital" (sic). In actuality, the stop is called "St James's Hospital". Their site is littered with errors. It doesn't take much to correct them, especially when they are pointed out to you. Granted, it's not a major issue but it shows laziness and carelessness. I'm writing it here because I know the company is following this thread. They don't respond to emails so public shaming is the next logical step.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

It is a very good service especially at peak times. If I had to rely on the train or Bus Eireann to get me into Dublin I probably would have given up work in Dublin by now. The thought of being on a filthy, late, all around the houses Bus Eireann service to Dublin is enough to make me vomit.

Geunuinely I have never actually met anyone who has been unhappy with their service. Professional, punctual, clean and friendly. Everything Bus Eireann is not.

On the same page under Red Luas line connections they have a stop listed as "St James Hospital" (sic). In actuality, the stop is called "St James's Hospital". Their site is littered with errors. It doesn't take much to correct them, especially when they are pointed out to you. Granted, it's not a major issue but it shows laziness and carelessness. I'm writing it here because I know the company is following this thread. They don't respond to emails so public shaming is the next logical step.

and do you know for fact that Matthews manage their own web server or indeed have a content management system for quick amends to typos on their page?
    They might have acknowledged your correction, but in business terms it might not make sesnse to amend these until other more important web updates are also required.

It's actually St James' not James's. All this complaint for an inverted comma. '

Incorrect Srameen. They call themselves St James's

• Advertisement

Grammatically incorrect but anyway it's no big deal and certainly no reflection on a bus service.

It's actually St James' not James's. All this complaint for an inverted comma. '

Apostrophe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

That tea story was 100% true by the way. I got a phone call from a friend who was on that bus. 7AM from Dundalk I think.

I'm back using the bus for commuting. Take my tea on every morning in a flask and never a problem with Matthews.

Although I have been noticing the traffic getting very bad coming into Dublin some mornings. They take the Santry exit a lot more lately.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    That tea story was 100% true by the way. I got a phone call from a friend who was on that bus. 7AM from Dundalk I think.

I'm back using the bus for commuting. Take my tea on every morning in a flask and never a problem with Matthews.

Although I have been noticing the traffic getting very bad coming into Dublin some mornings. They take the Santry exit a lot more lately.

Traffic has increased in November due to the free tolls for HGVs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Public shame for a bus company who have 2 yes 2 spelling mistakes on their websites

God Forbid im sure 100's have turned their back on them after seeing this

If any M/Boice people are thinking of parking alongside the Naomh Martin's pitch wall when getting the Matthews Bus, think again! The Guards were kind to issue me with a fixed fine for the one and only time I parked there and done so in a hurry trying to catch the bus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Good call by the driver this morning. Since September there's always been two directs at 8am at least on a Monday. The first fills up at the Marshes by 7:45/50 so there's a good crowd on second bus.

There was only via Drogheda this morning, 36 on it leaving the Marshes. The direct driver obviously rang back and said there's x y z amount of people at the hospital and DKIT. Driver rang another bus, asked Drogheda people to get off and turned it into a second direct!

Hurray!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Good call by the driver this morning. Since September there's always been two directs at 8am at least on a Monday. The first fills up at the Marshes by 7:45/50 so there's a good crowd on second bus.

There was only via Drogheda this morning, 36 on it leaving the Marshes. The direct driver obviously rang back and said there's x y z amount of people at the hospital and DKIT. Driver rang another bus, asked Drogheda people to get off and turned it into a second direct!

Hurray!

that's kind of difficult to fully understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

I couldn't fault the service provided by Matthews.I mainly use them for concerts and recently used Bus Eireann as we needed a late coach home.The bus Eireann service is shocking,flat tyre's,dirty bus and bad time keeping.I'll be sticking to Matthews in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Matthews' have been very unreliable over the past couple of months. Their timing used to be spot on but most buses leaving Drogheda in the morning are at least 10 to 15 minutes late, sometimes more (except the 8:30 which is always on time). I think they're a great service but it's obvious that they can't keep to the old timetable any more. It may be time to re-evaluate the timetable and come up with a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Matthews' have been very unreliable over the past couple of months. Their timing used to be spot on but most buses leaving Drogheda in the morning are at least 10 to 15 minutes late, sometimes more (except the 8:30 which is always on time). I think they're a great service but it's obvious that they can't keep to the old timetable any more. It may be time to re-evaluate the timetable and come up with a new one.

They're still making it to Parnell Street at their advertised time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Last Thursday, the 10am departure from Dundalk only arrived at Parnell St. at around 11.50am... And the roadworks on the R132 at Killineer/Rosehall added only 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

They're still making it to Parnell Street at their advertised time though?

Making it to Parnell Street is not the problem - it would be nice not to have to stand at the stop for an extra 15 minutes every morning, particularly when it's getting cold. Even though everyone knows its going to be late, you can't take the chance of not being there for the advertised time. That's why I suggested changing the timetable to a more realistic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd absolutely love if the last bus from Dublin was at 11.15pm instead of 11pm. Use it a lot to get home from concerts and having the bus at 11pm means I usually have to leave during encores. The extra 15 mins would make a huge difference for similar journeys. Know of a lot of people who'd get that route home instead of booking private buses, if the time was a tad later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

peejay1986 wrote: »
    From a purely selfish point of view, I'd absolutely love if the last bus from Dublin was at 11.15pm instead of 11pm. Use it a lot to get home from concerts and having the bus at 11pm means I usually have to leave during encores. The extra 15 mins would make a huge difference for similar journeys. Know of a lot of people who'd get that route home instead of booking private buses, if the time was a tad later.

That is only on a Sunday, every other night 11:30pm is their last Dundalk bus.
    The Sunday bus should leave later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

indiewindy wrote: »
    That is only on a Sunday, every other night 11:30pm is their last Dundalk bus.
    The Sunday bus should leave later

Oh, is it? Didn't actually know that. Last three gigs I've been to have been on Sundays so hadn't had to look for other days. That's good to know though. Strange they don't do it on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Went to get the midnight bus to bettystown on Friday 13th in drumcondra, there at 12exactly.

12.30 and no show, two others were waiting along with myself and partner.

We shared a taxi home that cost 70 euro and passed 3 others in whitehall

emailed Matthews next day to see what hapoened, no reply. Chased Tuesday to see what happened, very casual response "apologies, bus unusually full". Fair enough but no explanation as to why the bus took the tunnel and did not pass drumcondra to tell waiting passengers.

No reply to my follow up email asking for a proper response as to why the bus did not come by and tell passengers that they would need to make alternative arrangements.

Usually happy with the service but their customer service has gone downhill. So much for "happy, tell everyone, unhappy tell us " tagline.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me where Mathews Coaches go from in Drogheda? I need to get to Dublin tomorrow and I can't ring them at the moment.

All help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Does anyone know if the 10 trip ticket (particularly the student one) is any cheaper if you're travelling from Drogheda? I'm thinking of moving to Donore, but Bus Eireann would be far cheaper for me if those ticket prices are fixed for all stops.

Advertisement