Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lovely barbeque in the garden, but trouble ahead.....

Options
  • 22-07-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭

We had a barbeque there a couple of Sundays ago. Nice weather, you know, the works. About 10 people, started at 2pm finished about 7 or eight (too many vinos!)

Anyway, about 3 pm, just as the barbie was smoking a bit before settling down, my nephew answered the door to see the neighbours from next door, They were giving out yards about the smoke coming over the fence! and the noise of us (with little kids).

I went to the door and apologised if we were upsetting them, but sorry, this is our garden, and it is a Summertime activity. Man stormed off muttering about no one caring about how anyone else is treated etc. etc.

Now the neighbours on the other side had no problem. The next day, I called in to Mr. X and Mrs X. They understood that it was a family occasion, and barbies happen, but they just do NOT like the smoke and the noise.

Sorry, I said, but unfortunately, we will be having the odd one here and there.

Upshot of it is, we are still friendly, this wasn't a deal breaker, but I wonder if anyone else had this problem?

(Maybe they are envious of our gatherings??, or maybe they just don't like the barbie smoke. TBH it's made me a bit wary, but onwards we go)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

They sound a bit ott to me but fair play to you for going round there afterwards. It is important to be on reasonably good terms with one's neighbour , however if the occasion was as you described it then that goes on in many homes without a problem. If you were planning something again perhaps a mention in advance to your neighbour may help.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they want to live somewhere where they won't be bothered by neighbours making perfectly reasonable use of their gardens, let them buy an island property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Invite them in for a beer and a burger. Problem solved.

Advertisement