Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis. To do or not?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am currently doing a masters, no interest in it and am really struggling to do my thesis. Have only a few weeks left to do it, have very little done, issues outside control. Should i just give up and take a postgraduate diploma or try and get a the masters even if it will be a very bad grade? Is there really much of a difference between a masters and a postgrad diploma? And would employers take much notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If you've already started your thesis, you may as well see it through to the best of your ability. It would make little sense to pack it in at this stage. Bear in mind that you would likely to have to explain why you quit to prospective employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Agree with the above..

A friend of mine almost packed it in during the last month of thesis work, having done well in the taught classes during the year. I told him that even if he wasn't that interested, to quit then would mean having wasted the previous year in a way. He got on with it, ended up with a 2:1 and was happier for it. You'll have to make your own decision obviously, but jus' sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

Big difference between Masters an PG Diploma. Try for the thesis if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

And ask for an extension if you need one - they're usually pretty accommodating, especially when you have an actual issue as opposed to just leaving it until the last minute. I hated every single second of writing my thesis (my numerous extensions eased the pain a little) but am so glad I did it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

If its empirical analysis you will be stressed for time especially if you need to stratify the data otherwise if its more qualitative it should easily be done in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Agree with the above..

A friend of mine almost packed it in during the last month of thesis work, having done well in the taught classes during the year. I told him that even if he wasn't that interested, to quit then would mean having wasted the previous year in a way. He got on with it, ended up with a 2:1 and was happier for it. You'll have to make your own decision obviously, but jus' sayin'.

Very same happened with me.

Hated my thesis terribly. Asked and got an extension. Just put my head down towards the end and knew I was handing in a piece of rubbish. My tutor told me so before I submitted and I got the mark I deserved.

Just submit to your tutor beforehand and try to take some of their comments on board.

Overall mark was a 2:1 though. Just missed a 1st but I could not be dissapointed based on thesis quality.

1-2 months of work v's a life time of regret. That's how I looked at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Hey I feel the same about mine at the moment. I don't have the option of not doing it and taking a postgrad diploma.I have nothing done, just collected my data, don't have the foggiest of how to start writing it. Just plough on, do what you can with it- once you hand some semblence of a thesis in. Just remember, it doesn't matter what your final grade in your masters is- nobody cares. Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Just give it your all until the end and you will be happy with the MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

marxcoo wrote: »
    Hey I feel the same about mine at the moment. I don't have the option of not doing it and taking a postgrad diploma.I have nothing done, just collected my data, don't have the foggiest of how to start writing it.
    Start with the low-hanging fruit - put together a table-of-contents (doesn't have to be completely accurate, you can always change it later), then write up your methods, then put together tables and figures for your results. Before you know it, you'll have built up some momentum and you'll be flying through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

djpbarry wrote: »
    Start with the low-hanging fruit - put together a table-of-contents (doesn't have to be completely accurate, you can always change it later), then write up your methods, then put together tables and figures for your results. Before you know it, you'll have built up some momentum and you'll be flying through it.

+1

And leave the introduction until last because the original scope of study may have changed or gone totally in a different direction than you intended. Also, you can't really introduce your study until it is completed right? You'd be surprised how many students get stuck on writing the killer of all introductions when they haven't obtained data. Step by step does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Agree with all of the above. Just to add, it would be a waste of all the money you invested too. Just stick your head down for the remaining time.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

You should definitely try to finish and hand in whatever you end up with otherwise it is a year wasted and the results may not be as bad as you are expecting. Speaking from my own experience when you are in the middle of it you often lose sight of the amount of info you have actually gathered just because you haven't put it together - just get it down and don't think about whether it is good, bad or indifferent because sometimes you are not the best judge. Do your best from now then let it go and let others judge it. As the other posters have pointed out you will regret it if you don't hand it in. Best of luck with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

dfbemt wrote: »
    Very same happened with me.

Hated my thesis terribly. Asked and got an extension. Just put my head down towards the end and knew I was handing in a piece of rubbish. My tutor told me so before I submitted and I got the mark I deserved.

Overall mark was a 2:1 though. Just missed a 1st but I could not be dissapointed based on thesis quality.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of your overall mark was your thesis worth?

If it was significant i.e. 25% or more, your marks in the other part of the course must have been absolutely astronomical if you did a poor thesis and still barely missed a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Rosita wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what percentage of your overall mark was your thesis worth?

If it was significant i.e. 25% or more, your marks in the other part of the course must have been absolutely astronomical if you did a poor thesis and still barely missed a first.

Thesis was 60 credits out of 180 credits total.

Other marks were good eg 95% on a 20 credit module, 97% on a 10 credit.

Got those marks when I was really enjoying the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Much bigger difference between a masters and a postgrad diploma compared to a 1st and a pass grade in the masters. Within the next month you can more than likely complete a piece of work to earn you a passing grade.
    Very few employers will ask for your grade anyway. I know that in the uni I went to (UCL) there was only a distinction and pass and this seems to be the same in many other UK universities so doesn't matter if you got 51% or 69%, it's still a pass.

Advertisement