Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is a good computer repair shop.

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am located in the NW of the county. Looking to fix a cracked screen (need a new one) and to totally clean my computer's hard drive.

Where is a good and reasonably priced place to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

aridion wrote: »
    I am located in the NW of the county. Looking to fix a cracked screen (need a new one) and to totally clean my computer's hard drive.

if your in around Gweedore/Dungloe, don't what ever you do go near the computer shop in Derrybeg as he is a disaster and never there when you try and get your machine back, there is a mobile service called CompuSat you could try (gweedore.net should have a listing), there is also another buck but I don't think he does hardware faults and doesn't have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Sent you a PM on this as I don't want to break any rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

KS computers in ramelton was excellent with the kids laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

Thanks for the replys guys. I am actually in the Falcarragh/Gortahork area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

download C Cleaner, that should sort out your hard drive, its free and easy to use.. as regards your screen, try here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks for the replys guys. I am actually in the Falcarragh/Gortahork area.

Save all your important Doc's / photos onto a memory stick or something then do a system restore (do a google search for how to do it with you laptop name / model / windows 7 or vista ect). That will retore your comp back to factory spec as in totally wiped and just the programs that you had when the laptop was new, its easy to do just follow the prompts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Save all your important Doc's / photos onto a memory stick or something then do a system restore (do a google search for how to do it with you laptop name / model / windows 7 or vista ect). That will retore your comp back to factory spec as in totally wiped and just the programs that you had when the laptop was new, its easy to do just follow the prompts.

^^^^This!

And if experience any issues with it you could send me a pm and i'll try and sort it out. (i'll be away for most of the weekend though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Might be difficult to do this if the screen is broke and you cant see what your doing :D But yeah ive done this many times before on different laptops and its left them in perfect working order again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i'm pretty sure i have a (very) old CRT onder the stairs if you are up in letterkenny anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

To get a cracked screen fixed on a laptop you need a new screen, and the last time I was replacing them they were expensive. Like the price of a new laptop. I'd look at ebay order off that and get someone to fit it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Would this work if i have Autocad installed on laptop? If i removed all my documents and photos/music to a usb stick and did a restore would it wipe the ACad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

theboss80 wrote: »
    Would this work if i have Autocad installed on laptop? If i removed all my documents and photos/music to a usb stick and did a restore would it wipe the ACad?

Yip it wipes everything from the hard drive and restores the factory defaults, you'll need to re-install any software you installed yourself again.

The laptop is a Acer Aspire 5741-A. I will have a look on e bay for a screen. And, I will try out the system restore for windows. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

The acer aspire screens are pretty easy to fit. (Just Google).

My daughter broke hers a couple of months ago, and I bought one on e-bay for about 70 sterling, and fitted it myself. (Acer Aspire 5740).
    To clean the harddrive, just do a full restore, as advised.
    If you hook up an old CRT monitor, you'll be able to see what you're doing. :D

If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, the computer shop in Falcarragh is reasonably priced.
    I'd also recommend VC computers on the Mountain top in Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Try complete computer solutions in donegal town, ive used them before, great service. :)

Thanks Noreen. I have seen a few screens on e bay and adverts. Are all the Acer Aspire sceens the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

All the screen would be different...make sure you get one for your model. You should prob find a tutorial on google on replacing the screen on your model.

I remember when I replaced a screen on my first laptop back in 2004 it cost me €330 to buy the part on ebay. Most screens now are like €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Remove the broken screen first: there will be a model number or product number p/n on a label on the back of the screen, do a search using that. You may be able to get a pulled (2nd hand one) online for cheaper than a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Mary Clarke

looky loo wrote: »
    Try complete computer solutions in donegal town, ive used them before, great service. :)
    Have to agree with you there. Amazing service, they will give you an estimate before they do anything and ring you before they do anything if they think it will be more expensive than they had expected. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bellarose

looky loo wrote: »

Have to agree also, excellent business either for sales or repairs and won't land you with any hidden extras. They provide an excellent service:D

• Advertisement

mmmmm seems the Complete Computing Solutions guys have themselves a little fan club - they must be doing something right...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 markj2009

One I have used before and can recommend - VC Computers, Mountain Top, Letterkenny.

Firblog wrote: »
    mmmmm seems the Complete Computing Solutions guys have themselves a little fan club - they must be doing something right...
    Well I can only speak from personal experience, I had no dealings with them ever til about a year ago..lost my laptop lead...well temporarily...but knew that I could not get it back for about a week or so...they offered to loan me a lead but understandably needed a deposit for it...the guy there said to me well if you want to buy it I will give it to you for less than the deposit plus he gave me about 6 different connections so it would work with any laptop..best thing I ever bought lol.
    I kinda got the impression from your post that maybe you might feel that some of us who had posted positive stuff about CCS might be doing pr for them...with me that is definitely not the case...they have just baled me out at low cost a few times now and they did not know me as a customer. I have just found them to be 100% reliable and fair in their prices and also honest in any dealings that I have had with them.
    I do not mean to read your post the wrong way and please accept my most sincere apologies if I have been offensive in any way.

Well I can only speak from personal experience, I had no dealings with them ever til about a year ago..lost my laptop lead...well temporarily...but knew that I could not get it back for about a week or so...they offered to loan me a lead but understandably needed a deposit for it...the guy there said to me well if you want to buy it I will give it to you for less than the deposit plus he gave me about 6 different connections so it would work with any laptop..best thing I ever bought lol.
    I kinda got the impression from your post that maybe you might feel that some of us who had posted positive stuff about CCS might be doing pr for them...with me that is definitely not the case...they have just baled me out at low cost a few times now and they did not know me as a customer. I have just found them to be 100% reliable and fair in their prices and also honest in any dealings that I have had with them.
    I do not mean to read your post the wrong way and please accept my most sincere apologies if I have been offensive in any way.

He gave you a universal charger by the sound of it to be fair they have a tendency to burn out so I would be just a bit careful there. All in all from the reports I have read they seem to do a fair job.

I use ComCubed in Collon Terrace
    Buncrana Road
    Derry

I have found them to be excellent for all my computer need from screens to chargers I have three youngsters in the house plus my wife and we all have laptops plus there is a desktop

Re the charger I got one for my son out of there and it is the proper one for the same price I would pay for a Universal one also the screen on my laptop went and the prices I was quoted in this area were ridiculous and it was just on the off chance I spotted ConCube as i was heading in to Derry one day

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

He gave you a universal charger by the sound of it to be fair they have a tendency to burn out so I would be just a bit careful there. All in all from the reports I have read they seem to do a fair job.

I use ComCubed in Collon Terrace
    Buncrana Road
    Derry

I have found them to be excellent for all my computer need from screens to chargers I have three youngsters in the house plus my wife and we all have laptops plus there is a desktop

Re the charger I got one for my son out of there and it is the proper one for the same price I would pay for a Universal one also the screen on my laptop went and the prices I was quoted in this area were ridiculous and it was just on the off chance I spotted ConCube as i was heading in to Derry one day

The problem is alot of the shops have suppliers in Ireland, and they are expensive. Most are not buying off Ebay which is very cheap. Also on the Universal charger, no they are not as reliable,but they are a good cheap option to buy in a shop. All laptops come with different chargers so shops cannot stock every kind of charger. And again to buy an original laptop charger is usually expensive unless you are buying it from ebay.

Sorry for giving you the wrong impression there; I was just making a little tongue in cheek comment, as it seemed to me that youself and the two other users who praised CCS were all of the fairer sex...
    I myself buy most of my computer goods - ink, etc from them too and find them to be fairly competitive, not as much difference as it would be worth the hassle to travel else where to buy, plus if anything goes wrong they're always fairly helpful on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I bought a charger for a laptop on ebay from a seller in Japan/China or somewhere in that neck of the woods. No problem with the charger at all but it was funny the way it was advertised. 99 cents for the charger and $6.99 for delivery. :D

Firblog wrote: »
    Sorry for giving you the wrong impression there; I was just making a little tongue in cheek comment, as it seemed to me that youself and the two other users who praised CCS were all of the fairer sex...
    I myself buy most of my computer goods - ink, etc from them too and find them to be fairly competitive, not as much difference as it would be worth the hassle to travel else where to buy, plus if anything goes wrong they're always fairly helpful on the phone.
    Mmmmm the fairer sex....what gave it away...do you not know any males called Mary??? just joking...though come to think of it..some guys actually did have Mary as a second name years ago....cruelty or what:rolleyes:
    Re posts about universal charger...I didn't know they could burn out but I just use it now and again and it is handy because of the different connections...I have an old laptop that I use as back up sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

If you happen to be in Donegal Town the guys in Complete Computing Solutions are first rate in my experience.

• Advertisement

lamai wrote: »
    The problem is alot of the shops have suppliers in Ireland, and they are expensive. Most are not buying off Ebay which is very cheap. Also on the Universal charger, no they are not as reliable,but they are a good cheap option to buy in a shop. All laptops come with different chargers so shops cannot stock every kind of charger. And again to buy an original laptop charger is usually expensive unless you are buying it from ebay.

I can assure you in comparative terms it was reasonable 35 Sterling for an original charger and he didn't seem to have any problems getting numerous types. I would rather pay what I did for an original one than buy a cheaper Universal one

Advertisement