Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Clubs/Societies

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I was just wondering, how many clubs/societies can you join in UCD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is no limit to the amount you can join but if you join a lot of sports clubs you will definitely feel it money wise because Sports club are €10 to join and Societies are: €2 to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

When I first went to UCD (2002) I joined about 20 in freshers week. Only went to events for about 3 of them.... don't be taken in by the free ice cream and sweets!

Joined none in 2nd,3rd or 4th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd say its possible to join and be an active member of 3, but when I say active, I mean its possible to play say Rugby, do some debating and go to all the comedy soc gigs.

Once you start getting onto committees and things each becomes more of a time commitment.

Even still I'd have to disagree with the above poster, if you do it properly you get way more then your value from loads of them. 2e to join Deutsh Soc for instance gets you access to a very good value piss up trip to Germany. For a lot of societies the 2e is worth it just for the **** you get in the bag, and societies like Lawsoc or L&H will almost certainly get some guest speaker later in the year that you will have to join up to go see.

The 10e for climbing gives you access to a year on the climbing wall, participation in most of the high performance sports teams (Gaa, Rugby, Soccer) will get you access to the high performance gym. The 10e for snow sports gets you an incredibly good value ski trip, complete with burning of 50e notes and group masturbation on sleeping girls.

In fact, I'd be interested in getting boards to compile a list of society recommendations (which to join and how to get the most out of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd say its possible to join and be an active member of 3, but when I say active, I mean its possible to play say Rugby, do some debating and go to all the comedy soc gigs.

Once you start getting onto committees and things each becomes more of a time commitment.

Even still I'd have to disagree with the above poster, if you do it properly you get way more then your value from loads of them. 2e to join Deutsh Soc for instance gets you access to a very good value piss up trip to Germany. For a lot of societies the 2e is worth it just for the **** you get in the bag, and societies like Lawsoc or L&H will almost certainly get some guest speaker later in the year that you will have to join up to go see.

The 10e for climbing gives you access to a year on the climbing wall, participation in most of the high performance sports teams (Gaa, Rugby, Soccer) will get you access to the high performance gym. The 10e for snow sports gets you an incredibly good value ski trip, complete with burning of 50e notes and group masturbation on sleeping girls.

In fact, I'd be interested in getting boards to compile a list of society recommendations (which to join and how to get the most out of them).

That's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Dbstf wrote: »
    That's a good idea.

There's one every year. Gonna go start one for this year now. You'll find last years in the useful links sticky in the mean time.

• Advertisement

My idea wasn't so much for a "pimp your soc" plug.

It was more for experienced boards members who'd been through a few societies to compile a list of which they thought were good value, and how best to get the most out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

My idea wasn't so much for a "pimp your soc" plug.

It was more for experienced boards members who'd been through a few societies to compile a list of which they thought were good value, and how best to get the most out of them.

I see your point and it's a fair one... :) It's essentially the same thing though, no? Everyone is going to advocate for the club or society they stuck with/ enjoyed most. The best ones are really a matter of opinion. For someone extremely interested in debating the debating soc is the best in the university... for someone into rugby it's the rugby club. I see where you're going with the how to get the most out of them idea :) Think I'll edit my post, but I think the end result will be a 'pimp your club/soc' type of deal, if a more informative one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

captain P wrote: »
    When I first went to UCD (2002) I joined about 20 in freshers week. Only went to events for about 3 of them.... don't be taken in by the free ice cream and sweets!

Joined none in 2nd,3rd or 4th year!

That's a shame - but you are not alone in getting discouraged after first year from joining new clubs/ socs.

It's a pity because college is pretty much the only place where you can try so many things for so little money.

Here's this year's sports clubs guide:
    http://issuu.com/advantagepointpromotions/docs/ucdsportsclubsguide2011?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Flight%2Flayout.xml&showFlipBtn=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

group masturbation on sleeping girls.

:eek: the fcuk? Thats a whole other type of snowball, ill give that one a miss.

Back on topic, i personally think a good rule of thumb is join whatever in first year, everyone goes mad, whittle it down to two (maybe 1 club, 1 soc) by second year and finally keep it at one if you go for the committee.

From my own experience and talking to other people, two seems to be a good number if you plan to actually take advantage of them.

Obviously im not including L&H, Lawsoc etc in this because everyone knows they require no input, you join them for the bag and the one good speaker they get in during the year.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Obviously im not including L&H, Lawsoc etc in this because everyone knows they require no input, you join them for the bag and the one good speaker they get in during the year.

This made me properly laugh at a private joke. Which I'm not gonna share cause I'd look like an ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shane L

I joined an absolute tonne of things last year and didn't stick with much :rolleyes: join the Dutch Gold " Appreciation" society to experience some dutch culture with a trip planned to Amsterdam later in the year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As with most things, you tend to get what you put in. If you join a dozen socs and never go to them, then of course it's a waste of money. But if you join a few you are genuinely interested in and actually attend events/meetings/training etc, then you'll get plenty of value.

I wish I got more into them as a first year instead of waiting till I was a post-grad!

Advertisement