Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco ardkeen worker attacked?

• 22-07-2011 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭

I heard this from a friend who was in Tesco yesterday..

A woman working on the self service checkout was helping out a foreign guy and he shouted at her not to disrespect him, dragged her to the ground and started kicking her. He ran away when people got involved to stop him.

Anyone else hear about this ? Hope they caught the scumbag. Poor woman!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I only heard about it mentioned on another thread. Hope the poor girl is OK, I loose faith in humanity when I hear about nonsensical attacks like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

michellie wrote: »

A woman working on the self service checkout was helping out a foreign guy and he shouted at her not to disrespect him, dragged her to the ground and started kicking her. He ran away when people got involved to stop him.

my young niece was beside him when he kicked off. she was very shook when she got home. my sister said it was a fairly savage attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

:( Hopefully she was not hurt and will be able to return to work soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hopefully they catch the **** that did this. It was surely caught on CCTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Hopefully they catch the **** that did this. It was surely caught on CCTV

Surely the Gardai would of caught him leaving the scene shortly afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Is there not a security guard on a monitor right beside the self service area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Put him back on the last boat !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darrells27

thomasm wrote: »
    Is there not a security guard on a monitor right beside the self service area
    there was guard on watch but u would think they
    would go and help but they just stood there and watched :mad: the only people that tryed to help where the customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darrells27

Just found out that it was a contract secutity on, the regular guy was out sick.no point hiring these guys useless bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I hope they throw the book at him! and then the chair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 eamonn3974

****ing disgraceful incident. A friend of mine was shopping at the store when the incident occured. I for one, and the bulk of my family & friends will never shop at Tesco again. This 'Company' has a duty of care to both its customers and its staff yet this unprovoked & rather savage attack only highlights Tescos ineptitude to adhere to that duty of care,..a duty I might add whose upmost adherence is required by employment law. Only for the eventual intervention of a few customers the employee could easily have been beaten to a pulp. Had the perpetratior attempted a so called 'Grab & Run' with the contents of the till I am sure things would have been different & he would not have been allowed to leave the store. Its quite clear that Tesco Ardkeen values it stock and profit above the health and safety of its employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

darrells27 wrote: »
    Just found out that it was a contract secutity on, the regular guy was out sick.no point hiring these guys useless bastard.

Disgraceful. If the attacker had a knife or gun I'd say something for people not wanting to get involved, but he could have helped. That's the common decency shown by the customers, when it wasn't even their job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Absolutely disgraceful. Whats the point in security if he isn't going to bother helping?

Hope she pulls through and he gets more than the book thrown at him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eamonn3974 wrote: »
    ****ing disgraceful incident. A friend of mine was shopping at the store when the incident occured. I for one, and the bulk of my family & friends will never shop at Tesco again. This 'Company' has a duty of care to both its customers and its staff yet this unprovoked & rather savage attack only highlights Tescos ineptitude to adhere to that duty of care,..a duty I might add whose upmost adherence is required by employment law. Only for the eventual intervention of a few customers the employee could easily have been beaten to a pulp. Had the perpetratior attempted a so called 'Grab & Run' with the contents of the till I am sure things would have been different & he would not have been allowed to leave the store. Its quite clear that Tesco Ardkeen values it stock and profit above the health and safety of its employees.

I wouldn't blame Tesco, unless they have a policy for their security not to intervene in such problems. It would seem the Security guard messed up and not Tesco.

Externally hired contract security due to sickness.... I hope that waste of space security guard on duty last night is feeling really good in himself for standing by and doing nothing, Im sure he can put that on his C.V for future referance,chicken**** bastard!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hope he is ashamed of himself. Stood there fecking watching !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Absolute dickhead to do that the woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

How do we know the attacker was foreign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Winghunter

What is the city coming to,people think they can do what they want and the they can. Billy McCarthy was going on about the way these black people are treated by the people of Waterford,well Billy go and work in a shop or pub and see what way the people of Waterford are treated by these people,here's your proof, Hope the Law will do the right thing and deal with this bastard.

Sully wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame Tesco, unless they have a policy for their security not to intervene in such problems. It would seem the Security guard messed up and not Tesco.

Security guard is there to represent Tescos policy of the protection of customers,staff,premises and stock.Admittedly the direct responsibilty rests at the feet of the security guard but Tesco should at least have faith in the abilities of an externally hired contractor to do what he is being paid for and in all fairness the guard last night was stationed right at the doors, the one and only exit from the premises and while he done nothing, neither did any member of staff intervene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

In which tesco did this happen?

Winghunter wrote: »
    What is the city coming to,people think they can do what they want and the they can. Billy McCarthy was going on about the way these black people are treated by the people of Waterford,well Billy go and work in a shop or pub and see what way the people of Waterford are treated by these people,here's your proof, Hope the Law will do the right thing and deal with this bastard.

What? So it's "Waterford people" verses "black people" now? Are the two mutually exclusive? Was the attacker in this case black?

What? So it's "Waterford people" verses "black people" now? Are the two mutually exclusive? Was the attacker in this case black?

Yes, the attacker was colored.

"Colored" (sic), was he? Jesus people!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

michellie wrote: »

Yea, we were just ahead of him in the self service so we didn't actually realise that the argument was gonna go on. What we saw was a "middle-eastern/indian" looking guy that was shouting at the check out girl because he wanted to use the toilets but the toilets upstairs were closed and he was asked to use the ones in the petrol station. They were at the "get me your manager"-"i'm sorry there is no manager on duty right now" stage when we left...

Ellie1984 wrote: »
    Yea, we were just ahead of him in the self service so we didn't actually realise that the argument was gonna go on. What we saw was a "middle-eastern/indian" looking guy that was shouting at the check out girl because he wanted to use the toilets but the toilets upstairs were closed and he was asked to use the ones in the petrol station. They were at the "get me your manager"-"i'm sorry there is no manager on duty right now" stage when we left...

I wonder if that was the same incident as this one though. This incident is alleged to involve a black customer and the Tesco staff member was "helping him out" (as per OP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Knee jerk rubbish always amuses me.

So because one asshole acts like an asshole, its all Tescos fault? A duty of care? Just what standard are Tesco meant to meet to stop random crazies flipping their lid? Should they only allow one person in a store at a time, just in case he happens to be an arsehole who might hit somebody.

Blaming the security guard is misguided here for two reasons.
    One, was he actually near the incident or further away? For all you know he could have rushed to the scene the minute he heard a disturbance.
    Two, store security guards are not the police, they actually dont have the authority to do anything. He can still step in, but so could every other man in the store, so if blame is to thrown everywhere, you also have to blame all the male staff and male customers.

Simple fact is the blame goes to only one person, to the asshole who attacked the woman, not to Tesco, not to the security guard, and not to anybody else your kneejerk frothing decides didnt do enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Sully wrote: »

Agreed and he was outsourced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

was he american colored or was he english coloured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just to add that I was told by friends of mine both working in shops, and some working in security, that legally security are not allowed detain, or subdue any thief or anyone else causing trouble. If they tackle someone trying to leave the store they are criminally liable for any injury caused. They are really just there to act as a deterrent it seems.

But still if you see someone getting their head kicked in you'd imagine they'd at least do something, liability or not.

Advertisement