Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco ardkeen worker attacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

To put this back on track....

Does anyone know how the girl is????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

it is unlikelythat any conviction will be possible as there is no proof that it was this man. If the guys in the car had videoed the whole thing attack, flee, taxi and house then yes they could. Put as it stands it is just their word against his. He would just cliam they were making it up and trying to pin it on him, they would have to have a video of the whole incident from attack tot he house to proove it.

in addition it was a naieve and foolish move on the part of the two guys to follow the man as he could very well claim that they were chasing/stalking him and counter claim on that basis. If he had fallen on a kerb or whatever he could level charges agains the tow lads.
    It was the decent thing to do though, but ill thought and foolish. Also he could have shot at them. This kind of thing is best left to the guardai as thats their job.

I wonder would you be thinking that way if it were your mother/sister/wife on the end of the attack...?

Fair play to those guys. We need more people like these in the world.

Besides, they were within their rights to make a citizen's arrest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen's_arrest#Ireland
    Any person can arrest someone who they have reasonable cause is in the act of committing or has committed an "arrestable" offence, that is one punishable by more than 5 years in prison.[13] The arrest can only be effected if the arrestor has reasonable cause that the person will attempt to avoid apprehension by Gardaí and the arrestor delivers the person to Garda custody as soon as is practicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Didn't that happen down in Cork a few years back. A girl was being raped and begging passer bys for help and noen offer any???

Really jesus I never thought anyone could see that and not do anything they can do try and help her. That has to be a myth :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Just saw this now, that's crazy!! The last place you would expect something like that to happen is in Tesco.
    Hopefully that worker will be ok and the scumbag who attacked her is fuked out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

I wonder would you be thinking that way if it were your mother/sister/wife on the end of the attack...?

Fair play to those guys. We need more people like these in the world.

Besides, they were within their rights to make a citizen's arrest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen's_arrest#Ireland

lol its hardly a 5 year offence he hadnt the stores takings gone with him aswell...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hoffmans wrote: »
    lol its hardly a 5 year offence he hadnt the stores takings gone with him aswell...........
    thats the problem with society to-day,a young lady doing her job working on tills gets attacked,and the attacker will get a slap on the hand and a small fine,but if a sum of money gets stolen out of the till he could get two years,who gets hurt the most ?,the lady who will be effected by this for the rest of her life,or the mega rich company ? its a big problem in the UK,the girls or lads on the tills in the supermarkets get verbal and physical abuse every day,and the big boys at the top could not care less,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hoffmans wrote: »

Yeah, actually there is a maximum 5 year sentence for ABH, according to section 47 of the Offences Against the Persons act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

There's a manager standing in around those self service tills today with another woman who regularly works on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

What if he's Irish?

Then he should be held to a higher standard and shot then drawn and quartered! Who gives a flyin fcuk if he Irish, Nigerian, polish or from the feckin moon. Fookers like this should be dealt with out in a field with a few lads related to that poor woman!

security staff are instructed in many cases not to intervene in things like this. Their job is to prevent theft. Also id they intervened they could end up agrevating the perp who could become more agressive. Who knows, he could have a syringe or a gun for all they know. Also if he gets away and the victim is injured, the could potentially file a claim against the security company that either they contributed to the injury or caused it by aggrevating the foreigner. They could be liable.

This is absolutely amazing that liability is considered first before helping a woman catching a beatin from some fckn scumbag. I can tell you that if I was on that line the MF would have ran out with a can of my peas or corn imbedded in his fckn skull and let him bring charges. I'd counter that he stole em from me and caused me trauma and all other forms of psychological distress. This PC world of liberalism is getting to be a bit much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

michellie wrote: »
    There's a manager standing in around those self service tills today with another woman who regularly works on them too.

I give it till the bank holiday weekend and it'll be back to normal. It's a token gesture IMHO.

ziedth wrote: »
    I give it till the bank holiday weekend and it'll be back to normal. It's a token gesture IMHO.

Closing the barn door after the cows have left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

chelloveks wrote: »
    Then he should be held to a higher standard and shot then drawn and quartered! Who gives a flyin fcuk if he Irish, Nigerian, polish or from the feckin moon. Fookers like this should be dealt with out in a field with a few lads related to that poor woman!

My post "What if he's Irish?" was in response to another poster who said that the attacker should be deported. My point being that an Irish citizen cannot be deported and, for all we know, the attacker could be Irish.

My post "What if he's Irish?" was in response to another poster who said that the attacker should be deported. My point being that an Irish citizen cannot be deported and, for all we know, the attacker could be Irish.

Send the fooker to innish moor or one of them godforsaken places....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »

Yes. The reason we are all shocked is because its so unexpected. Its something just as likely to happen during Sunday Mass as in Tesco. Maybe Tesco could try hire a bouncer trained security guard to do it.

Some late-night garages in rough areas (and I think even the Centra on John Street), have bouncers at night because they get trouble makers. But this was really a freak event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

we truly live in strange times it's sad but true, always expect the unexpected, and not just when driving, look what happened in Oslo:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

if i was there i might intervene and help if i thought i could. But then, i'm not the sec man who has to worry about losing my job or ending up in court because i went outside the limits of my company's contract sd the company could end up being sued her or the man or the shop. read my previous posts, i know a bit about it cos gf's brother is a security guard and bouncer.

it was a stroke of look though that the customers intervened. i knows its immoral and all to sit back and watch, but hey thats business for ya.

<SNIP>

I wouldn't want to be in trouble with you around thats for sure. It is people with attitudes like yourself that has this country in the mess that it is in. This selfish me-feinism is prevalent all thanks to the greed and individualism of the Celtic Tiger. Society has been atomised and being replaced by people like you. I remember years ago that when someone was in trouble, you went to their aid. I have gone to the assistance of a number of people when they were physically assulated. In one case, it was a man in his 60s who was attacked by a burly guy with a bicycle lock with a chain. While the rest of the gobdaws stood around, I pushed the attacker off him, delivering a punch when he hit me. The attacker fled. The cops arrived, I gave a statement and the attacker was later convicted for assault and got jail.

I could never, ever stand around and watch a vulnerable person, be it a woman, elderly person or a child being attacked. The security guard is a coward. He should have intervened irrespective of whether it is inhis remit or not because when you assess the situation, you might as well not have security guards there in the first place.

Well done Partizan. If people stand bye and let these thugs get away with ****e like this they will become more brazen and more violent. You must hit back even if ther.e are risks involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I wonder if that was the same incident as this one though. This incident is alleged to involve a black customer and the Tesco staff member was "helping him out" (as per OP).
    Sure black, Indian - they're all the same anyway, put them all on the boat, Hitler was right, yadda yadda yada...

:rolleyes:

(I'm not having a go at you, Kotek!)

it is unlikelythat any conviction will be possible as there is no proof that it was this man. If the guys in the car had videoed the whole thing attack, flee, taxi and house then yes they could. Put as it stands it is just their word against his. He would just cliam they were making it up and trying to pin it on him, they would have to have a video of the whole incident from attack tot he house to proove it.

in addition it was a naieve and foolish move on the part of the two guys to follow the man as he could very well claim that they were chasing/stalking him and counter claim on that basis. If he had fallen on a kerb or whatever he could level charges agains the tow lads.
    It was the decent thing to do though, but ill thought and foolish. Also he could have shot at them. This kind of thing is best left to the guardai as thats their job.
    Nonsense, from start to finish imv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

eamonn3974 ur so ridiculous haha

Nonsense, from start to finish imv.

Mr burns, if tha.t was your mam attacked would you think the boys were foolish? I'd take em out for a few hundred drinks if I met them!

Mr burns, if tha.t was your mam attacked would you think the boys were foolish? I'd take em out for a few hundred drinks if I met them!
    Exactly. They did a great thing. I was disagreeing with the guy who was saying they were wrong to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I would have loved to have been there, would have battered the fooker with one of them long french baguettes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

If he is an Irish resident well then of course he can't be deported but if hes caught, his address will be known and I know if it was a relative or friend of mine assaulted in her workplace, then he'd wish he was deported(Irish or not) when he could still walk, and thats for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Well done Partizan. If people stand bye and let these thugs get away with ****e like this they will become more brazen and more violent. You must hit back even if ther.e are risks involved

First of all as other posters have stated alot of time the LAW does not allow these security guards to do much. The thugs are protected. If gurads are being sued for doing their jobs what hope do these security guards have.

So ye would be willing to go to jail or being sued for every penny you have by a thug, who will also get off on charge due to hard life sob story.

Yes you should be able to get involved and help a person being attacked however in today's sociey where the very least you would probably ended up in court yourself faching GBH charges or worse get stabbed etc you can see why people are reluctant to get invloved.

Sometimes it worse to be a hero. Not like films where you get a big pat on the back etc.

Put it this way I know of a person who stopped to give CPR to a man who collapsed in the street. He saved the mans life and the paramedics and hospital said this but the guy ended up sueing the man who saved his life stating oh he caused me worse damage by bruising his ribs or something along those lines. See what I mean you be a good samartain and it ends up with more grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

Its utterly selfish to not come to the aid of this poor woman. I see the points been made about his job and all tat. Wat it comes down to is tat he cared more about himself.

I was pined against a wall by my EX in a club @ X mas and a guy came to my aid and got himself a black eye in the process. When i asked why he helped he said, he would want somebody to do the same thing for his little sister.

If we all look out for number one wat kinda of place would will we end up living in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

libra02 wrote: »
    Put it this way I know of a person who stopped to give CPR to a man who collapsed in the street. He saved the mans life and the paramedics and hospital said this but the guy ended up sueing the man who saved his life stating oh he caused me worse damage by bruising his ribs or something along those lines. See what I mean you be a good samartain and it ends up with more grief.
    libra02, that story doesn't sound right, if a person required CPR and was probably dead, then was revived and then successfully sued the person who started CPR, bul****. Either there is more to that story or you heard the story wrong.

You should throw this piece off your comment over to
    "boards.ie -> Soc -> Emergency Services" forum because it is bit off topic to the tesco incident and is another thread in itself.

I would urge everyone to perform CPR if you can. As the video here shows you dont have to do mouth to mouth if you dont want to or cant. Just doing compressions alone before the paramedics arrive could be enough to give a person a fighting chance.

Sorry MODS for going off topic but I couldnt help not reply to this comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

libra02 wrote: »

When I lived in the UK I regularly did occupational first aid courses, every 3 years at the time but I had to take out insurance to cover myself in case of someone turning around and sueing me for something like described or if someone stole my property while I was carrying out first aid or I got injured. £6 per year back then but worth it for peace of mind.

When I've done my first aid courses here I enquired about it but was told it's not done here and that a judge wouldn't entertain it anyway. That's what I've been told so maybe it's different for professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisemum wrote: »
    When I lived in the UK I regularly did occupational first aid courses, every 3 years at the time but I had to take out insurance to cover myself in case of someone turning around and sueing me for something like described or if someone stole my property while I was carrying out first aid or I got injured. £6 per year back then but worth it for peace of mind.

When I've done my first aid courses here I enquired about it but was told it's not done here and that a judge wouldn't entertain it anyway. That's what I've been told so maybe it's different for professionals.

Yeah we were told the same scare story by a first aid instructor in school but I've never heard of it from anyone else so I think it's just an urban legend to be honest.

Advertisement