Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You wake up tomorrow in the middle ages. What do you do?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

This came up in the pub a while back. Say you wake up tomorrow and you inconveniently travelled back to medieval times with no way home and armed with nothing but your knowledge on the modern world, what would you do?

Even getting food and shelter would be a major challenge...you're hardly gonna waltz (hasn't been invented) into the nearest town and expect any help from the locals. They'd probably be livin from one harvest to the next hoping a major catastrophe, like a mild frost, doesn't wipe them all out.

Try talkin to them and they'd struggle to understand you. Presumably no one here speaks fluent middle Irish so the best case scenario would be England, but even then their English would probably be unintelligible (considering Shakespeare would be writing at least 100 years later). Even if they did understand you, your story would seem like a maniac's ravings or heresy. Likely to see you end up on the wrong side of a good flaying.

Longterm, could you use your knowledge of science etc. to your advantage? Say you get pally with the local duke:

"Yes, nephinbeg, this steam engine you keep rambling about would make me the richest noble in the kingdom. A fabulous idea. Can you build me one?"

"I have no idea how to cast iron, or how a high pressure steam engine works apart from heating up water and the steam running a piston. I also notice that ye're not big coal-men in this neck of mercia"

"That's a pity. How does gong farming sound to you?"

Say you were a mechanical engineer and you were able to follow through with all your fantastical technological claims, what then? What would you spend your new-found wealth on? Castles? (lovely drafty uncomfortable castles), Women/Men? (Your own toothless, malnourished, filthy, smelly harem), Food? (along with nightmarish diarrhoea), Luxuries? (you'd probably have to invent them all first).

It'd be pretty horrible alright. Does anyone think they could make a better situation out of it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Wilma Flintstone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

make millions on weapons,

Find a rich king, tell him about this black powder the asians have, send massive fleet to retrieve recipe

make explosives
    Kill people
    ??????
    Profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

go around infecting everyone with modern diseases that they aren't immune to, until i get infected by some old disease that they're immune to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'd bide my time and invest in Microsoft, apple and coca cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Id join the Priesthood it, quite a lucrative profession back in them days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    I'd bide my time and invest in Microsoft, apple and coca cola.

How much time have you?
    Id join the Priesthood it, quite a lucrative profession back in them days

God, spoke to me, he told me blah blah blah.

You'd be running the place in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You could invent the toilet. That's a fairly simple device and would make a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Find some princesses, dude, and party! Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Say you were a mechanical engineer and you were able to follow through with all your fantastical technological claims, what then? What would you spend your new-found wealth on? Castles? (lovely drafty uncomfortable castles), Women/Men? (Your own toothless, malnourished, filthy, smelly harem), Food? (along with nightmarish diarrhoea), Luxuries? (you'd probably have to invent them all first).

Every holes a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Get burned for being a witch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Drink mead, fuck women and pillage villages! You know, really ingratiate myself in the local culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I would slay a dragon.

Then, after lunch I would invent the internet.

You could invent the toilet. That's a fairly simple device and would make a big change.

Yeah invent indoor plumbing. Also find the nearest river mill, some copper and bam you have electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Replace the chainsaw on where my hand stump is with a plate glove fake hand mechanism.

Groovy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Toil and fear god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I am a mechanical engineer and I have regularly thought about all the super awesome things I could bring to the middle ages.

This is becuase I do not have the wherewithal to bring super awesome things to the current ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Make a living as the world's tallest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wish I'd kept that dentist appointment last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Drink my own piss

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Invent" moveable type printing. Gunpowder would be a given. Build a blast furnace. This gives you better steel to make guns and other things. Then come up with the steam engine. Try and standardise parts, like screws etc. Avoid religious stuff like the plague. Too easy to get the heretical label. Cosy up to the church in fact. Give them first dibs on printed bibles. "discover" bacteria. Research and invent antibiotics and better antiseptics. The armies would love that. Immunisation for smallpox would be easy enough. Just find a milkmaid with cowpox pustules.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'd take up the position of the village oaf.
    The further you go back the more you realise things remain the same in the future.

I'd also learn the lute and play some classics the world has not yet heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's no way you'd stop those dirty feckers sh1tting on the floor of their hovels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Replace the chainsaw on where my hand stump is with a plate glove fake hand mechanism.

Groovy!

Haven't you already done that, Bruce?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Then for the next thousand years everyone would say 'I have to go to the Seanbeag' every time they needed to get one out, which is especially interesting, given your sig.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Rape, murder, pillage, all sorts of fun things! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Develop Gunpowder (75-15-10 ;))

Assemble a fleet of Ships and conquer South America before the Spaniards/Portugese. Liberate all the Gold for the empire which will be built in the (still existing) South Wexford town I'm from

find someone who can cast Bells, they could probably cast a steam engine + I would now have rubber from South America for Hoses and seals

Prempt the Reformation of the church and install my own puppet Pope

Develop Penicilin, Pasturisation & effective Water treatment

Invent electricity then invent - the Lightbulb, the Kettle, the Toaster, the electric motor and the fridge (fridge might be a lottle more complicated than the others)

Unify Europe under my 'Democratic' Reign

Kickstart modern agricultural processes

start talking to some Doctors about the importance of Hygiene and the uselessnes of their standard practices

Giant Harem

Codify building standards so that my castle wont be too draughty

Kickstart the Renisance and the Enlightenment.

yep, this topic regularly comes up during drunken conversations:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sky King wrote: »
    Then for the next thousand years everyone would say 'I have to go to the Seanbeag' every time they needed to get one out, which is especially interesting, given your sig.

Which would still get broken down in slang terms as the Johns or bog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Does anyone remember that episode of Blackadder where they go back in time and Lord Blackadder gives Shakespeare a ball point pen by accident. Thus Shakespeare becomes known for inventing the ball point pen and not for his writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Mead and wenches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Blast the King with piss

Advertisement