Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You wake up tomorrow in the middle ages. What do you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

amacca wrote: »
    make a head start on the whole three field crop rotation system, develop the heavy plow
    did you by any chance miss my post ??
    die of sexually transmitted disease from all the wenches in Cristendom
    actually there wasn't that much of it as syphilis came from the new world - some say 1/3 died of it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

actually there wasn't that much of it as syphilis came from the new world - some say 1/3 died of it then

Other way around - the Spaniards brought syphillis to the new world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I'd get into many hilarious and licentious jams like Martin Lawrence in Black Knight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

tell them that the world is round.... get on ship and find the americas first... your gonna know the indians are going to be waiting for ya so bring a big army...

the rest is straight forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I would try out the sh*t in a bucket at the back of the garden facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

BRING ME A WENCH HO!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Other way around - the Spaniards brought syphillis to the new world

History is unsure about the origins, but the first officially recorded case was in 1494, so there's a lot of circumstantial evidence that says syphilis came from the Americas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

simple answer, yes.......I got in on the end of this one and didn't have the will to read back over previous responses......guess my hoping for the best came a cropper this time

I didn't however miss the wikipedia entry as I was looking for something relevant to use as I thanks whored my way across this thread

It seems my plan would have worked even better than I suspected

woo hoo

go me...go me

bring me my tankard wench!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The world would be massively overcrowded by the time of the invention of the atomic bomb and in all likelihood we would have annihilated ourselves by now!
    And it would be all YOUR FAULT!!!!
    Damn Right! It's going to happen anyway, so is it better that it happens sooner or later? We, as a species, have to kick some hasty habits, and I can't help wondering where we'd be now, had we realised our folly a thousand years ago. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Watch telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nephinbeg

"It was around the year 1421 that an anthropomorphic figure began to feature prominently in Italian frescoes. One famous depiction of this mysterious figure, credited by michelangelo as 'pedobear', on the sistine chapel lead to it becoming a staple of church ceilings the world over. Its sudden appearance still baffles art historians"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

be named firestarter and be burned at the stake for having a cigereatte lighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I did my degree in Medieval studies, back in 2001. However, even armed with years of study about this era, I would probably be stumped if I woke up in medieval England/Ireland. For one, if you found yourself suddenly transported back there, the world was totally different. It wasn't safe to walk the streets alone.
    Outlaws roamed the forests, so you couldn't seek safety there. Your best bet would be the local monastery, were you could claim sanctuary. But, then you have to get past the language. In Ireland, they would have spoken Gaelic. In England, it depended on what class of person you find yourself speaking to. The nobility spoke Norman French. The lower classes, English (but not the English we speak today). BTW, Shakespeare is not "old English", that was a different language altogether. The Clerical class spoke Latin.
    As a woman, I'd either be raped and burned, or just burned on the spot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Middle ages, Ireland in 20 years time after the IMF?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sort out clean water and hand washing as a public health issue

invent a microscope / agar plates / microbiology to show these things

pastuerisation and fizzy drinks

refrigeration would be tricky , but think how much I could charge for a cold cold pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

sort out clean water and hand washing as a public health issue

invent a microscope / agar plates / microbiology to show these things

pastuerisation and fizzy drinks

refrigeration would be tricky , but think how much I could charge for a cold cold pint

What about the carbon tax? would you try and get one of those brought in and warn people about the dangers of burning too much coal and oil?

Needler wrote: »
    What about the carbon tax? would you try and get one of those brought in and warn people about the dangers of burning too much coal and oil?

+1

and make a head start on a cycle to work scheme

and stricter rules for commercial vehicles - obviously after you had invented the internal combustion engine and devised a classification system for vehicles

Needler wrote: »
    It would probably be something like one shilling liable to be paid for every firehearth or stove, in all dwellings, houses, edifices or lodgings,and payable at Michaelmas, 29 September and on Lady Day, 25 March.

In other words it was already being done, abolished here in 1795.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Be mini-me Nostradamus. Get hired by the local king / Fianna Fail party / tyrant, and predict things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A lot of those posting on the thread won't get a chance, I've read your atheist posts and you would have burned at the stake if you repeated it :p

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    Be mini-me Nostradamus. Get hired by the local king / Fianna Fail party / tyrant, and predict things.

playing with fire...literally:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You would be a brilliant storyteller. Stuff about America, China, Japan, Russia, Antartica, motor vehicles, aircraft, wars, computers, printing, books.

You would blow their minds.

You would be a brilliant storyteller. Stuff about America, China, Japan, Russia, Antartica, motor vehicles, aircraft, wars, computers, printing, books.

You would blow their minds.

burn heretic!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nephinbeg

If you kept your head down and didn't die of a rotten tooth or some other deadly minor ailment, you could hope to pick up some work in one of the many growth industries. They were always lookin for more fullers, treadmill operators or leech collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm confused

Tomorrow = future
    Middle Ages = past

So if you wake up in the MA then it's not "tomorrow"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

....and get told to commit suicide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm confused

Tomorrow = future
    Middle Ages = past

mind=blown

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm confused

Tomorrow = future
    Middle Ages = past

I'm imagining it's meant in a time travel way. Tomorrow I buy a DeLorean and travel back in time to the Middle Ages. Or else I get myself and my car sucked through an interdimensional portal, in which case I better hope I have a chainsaw and a shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

sounds good at first...

no internet, no pron........

I'd practise my painting skills and start a painted version of Razzle ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yeah invent indoor plumbing. Also find the nearest river mill, some copper and bam you have electricity.

What Middle Ages are you folks talking about? The Roman Empire had toilets and indoor plumbing ffs.

Advertisement