Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Billing

• 22-07-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am again baffled by UPC's billing. Wont bore people of last months debacle, but after switching to their €47 bundle I couldn't understand how I got a bill for €121. After multiple emails and phone calls I got €40 back although still didnt really understand why, but said feck it, I got a new router and 50Mb broadband. Next months bill will be €47 and sure it'll be grand.

Got a text there, bill is now €58 euros !!!
    Anyone else having the same problem. Looking at my bill they are charging €45 for Broadband and €13 for Freetime.

Gonna give them a ring now, but just wanted to see if anyone else is suffering the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Bills are hard to follow alright. Just noticed I'm still getting charged the standalone charge which I understood was to be dropped with the new bundles and I'm not getting the freetime world pack as I should be. Your best bet is to ring them and ask them to explain in plain english anything you arent 100% clear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

Yeah, i've done that. Apparently I wasnt on a bundle on their billing system. Hopefully all sorted now.

HomerS wrote: »
    Yeah, i've done that. Apparently I wasnt on a bundle on their billing system. Hopefully all sorted now.

Hope you insisted on a refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

If I remember correctly, their bundle prices are excluding VAT, so could that be the cause of the discrepency? It happened to me when I realised my bundle was working out more than I'd planned. Goddamn small print :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Abbeycraic

If I remember correctly, their bundle prices are excluding VAT, so could that be the cause of the discrepency? It happened to me when I realised my bundle was working out more than I'd planned. Goddamn small print :mad:
    No the Bundle Price is inclusive of VAT

http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/fibrepower25Mb/

See the bottom of the page ". Equipment remains the property of UPC so there is no charge for service technician visits. Prices include VAT. Residential use only. Fibre Power 25 comparison is based on eircom NGB Regular 8Mb Broadband and Talktime Chatter for €51.78 a month. eircom rates taken from www.eircom.ie. Go to upc.ie for standard terms and conditions. Information correct as at 06/11."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're still having billing issues, call or email and ask to be put through to the customer loyalty department and they will sort it out.

it took a while to get mine sorted, but they came through in the end and i just got my first normal bill today after going through the 100mbps upgrade.

1st month i was overcharged, but i complained as above and i got a credit onto my bill last month to make up for it and this month i got a normal bill, as below:

upcbilljuly.jpg

They split it out on the bill alright but your subscription charge total should be the bundle price as advertised. Query it if you are paying more

@vibe666 were you an existing customer? If so did you have to get the standalone change cancelled through loyalty dept as well?

ne'er mind, saw your other post so you got it cancelled too.

@vibe666 were you an existing customer? If so did you have to get the standalone change cancelled through loyalty dept as well?
    yes and yes. :)

they don't even put up a fight.

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes and yes. :)

they don't even put up a fight.

yea just got it refunded on twitter. SOUND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Bills are hard to follow alright. Just noticed I'm still getting charged the standalone charge which I understood was to be dropped with the new bundles
    Same thing here - after two bills without this charge, it was back with a vengance this month (over €9 when the added VAT to the charge as well). Got straight on to customer support and argued that they removed this charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭xtal191

yea just got it refunded on twitter. SOUND!

Whats there twitter??

xtal191 wrote: »
    Whats there twitter??

@UPC_HelpsYou_IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

They split it out on the bill alright but your subscription charge total should be the bundle price as advertised. Query it if you are paying more

I could have sworn that was how it happened to me, I think I'll be looking into that...

i'm listening to a guy i work with who's on the phone now to UPC billing for the last hour now who's been trying to sort out his billing issue for the last month and is still getting nowhere.

whatever kudos they've gotten from the 100mbps upgrades and keen pricing has been almost totally ruined by the shambles of a billing system they use. most of the time even their staff can't even tell you how it is supposed to work and you'd be hard pushed to find two people who have been charged the same price for the same products.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

Hope you insisted on a refund!

Yep, was told any overcharging would be returned. Although I'll believe it when I see it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I cancelled my tv with them earlier in the year and I had a very difficult time trying to get them to stop billing me. (You would think that they would have been glad to get rid of me)

Even after been on to them and getting assurances that everything had been sorted out I received threats that my (non existent) account would be passed to debt collectors.

Eventually I got a letter from them which told me they still had a lot to learn!!! (about cancelling a basic tv account!!!!???)

No matter what assurances you get on the phone about things being sorted check your subsequent bills very thoroughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Does anyone know a landline number to ring UPC?

mari2222 wrote: »
    Does anyone know a landline number to ring UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Same thing here - after two bills without this charge, it was back with a vengance this month (over €9 when the added VAT to the charge as well). Got straight on to customer support and argued that they removed this charge.
    I have to admit, their Twitter support (@UPC_HelpsYou_IE ) is quite helpful and pretty quick to get back to you. They got this sorted very quickly for me today - the charge has been removed and will be credited back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

What i dont underatand is that im happy with what ive got right now.

20mb and UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Now they are telling me that im going to get increase to 25mb with a price increase (which trust me wont happen, if you do a speed test you get now where near so its just a ploy to get more money)

I DID NOT ASK FOR INCREASE IN MY INTERNET SPEED!!!!

And secondly im with upc 3 years and ive always had UNLIMITED why am i getting a letter telling me there is an increase in my UNLIMITED download??

I tried to call but no surprise i was on hold for over 20mins and gave up..

I hate upc with a passion.

Cheap nasty company.

seriously, you've posted exactly the same thing in at least 3 different threads now, you don't have to keep shouting the same thing in every thread you can find that is even vaguely related.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Be very careful with UPC, I got the standalone charge removed - I have broadband and phone, and the charge was put back on my 2nd bill. The day the bill was issued I called them and they agreed it was an error. They still want to take the incorrect amount from my bank account and credit me back in the future. I told them I want a corrected bill and the correct amount to be debited.

Blanchguy wrote: »
    Be very careful with UPC, I got the standalone charge removed - I have broadband and phone, and the charge was put back on my 2nd bill. The day the bill was issued I called them and they agreed it was an error. They still want to take the incorrect amount from my bank account and credit me back in the future. I told them I want a corrected bill and the correct amount to be debited.

That's absurd. If you are paying by direct debit point out to them that the dd scheme rules specifically state that a disputed amount should not be paid.

Originators must put in place reliable systems and which will ensure:
    o the issuance of correct advance notification as appropriate of amounts to be debited
    o that Direct Debits as issued conform to Payer instructions and the Rules of the Scheme
    o that disputed amounts are not debited
    o that procedures for terminating the Direct Debit are put in place
    o that the Originator will settle indemnity claims under or pursuant to the Scheme within 10 days
    o that all other responsibilities of the Originator under or pursuant to the Scheme are adhered to

Point out to them that if they access your account to debit an amount that you have not agreed to that is is stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Blanchguy wrote: »

While I don't know how UPC's billing system works, every other company I've encountered so far have a system where the DD will go for the amount due less any payments or credits since the bill was issued... so if credit you at least a couple of day before the DD is due, you should only be charged what's left on the account - and in fact, if memory serves, UPC did this for me before (when i first added TV, they put on the equip charge but shouldn't have - was credited and the DD only took the right amount :cool:)

As for a new copy of the bill, I think i heard before that companies can't actually issue a second invoice for the same period by law, even if it is a correction - that's why they always balance things out on the next bill - i think it's so there can only be ever one copy of any bill for a customer to avoid confusion... but again, I don't know if this is fact... just what i heard :)

zacseph wrote: »
    While I don't know how UPC's billing system works, every other company I've encountered so far have a system where the DD will go for the amount due less any payments or credits since the bill was issued... so if credit you at least a couple of day before the DD is due, you should only be charged what's left on the account - and in fact, if memory serves, UPC did this for me before (when i first added TV, they put on the equip charge but shouldn't have - was credited and the DD only took the right amount :cool:)

As for a new copy of the bill, I think i heard before that companies can't actually issue a second invoice for the same period by law, even if it is a correction - that's why they always balance things out on the next bill - i think it's so there can only be ever one copy of any bill for a customer to avoid confusion... but again, I don't know if this is fact... just what i heard :)

With all due respects to your good self that is absolute nonsense!!! Why should a company issuing a corrected invoice have anything whatsoever to do with the law?

A key part of the dd system is the 14 days notice. the idea is that a bill payer should have the opportunity to correct any error in the amount that the company is proposing to debit his account. (14 days may appear generous but in fact 7 days are lost from this - in any 14 day period 4 days will be lost due to weekends and the dd is actually sent to the bank 3 days in advance of the due date) so there are only 7 working days to get the company to amend the amount to be debited.

Remember the dd system is simply one of bill payment. It is not there to give companies unrestricted access to customers accounts although due to lamentable regulation over the years this is what it has become in many company's views.

As the rules state above disputed payments should not be debited and any company wanting to debit your account for a wrong amount (with the promise of future correction) is simply being lazy or incompetent or both. They have absolutely no right to do this and make sure they know it.

More information here:

http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebits

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer

Another sad feature of the scheme is the lamentable lack of knowledge amongst bank staff in general of the operation of the scheme so if you need to talk to your bank about refunds etc make sure you have briefed yourself on the details of the scheme that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just FYI on the standalone charge - I rang 1908 just now and the lady took the charge off no problem (after putting me on hold first to go check she could). I asked would I be refunded for the two months since those conditions changed and she said no, the deal was for new customers only and I was getting it "because you saw it on the website". Seems a bizarre way to do business, if you are in the know you can reduce your bill by 9€, if not then tough luck!

Advertisement