Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap Question

Options
  • 22-07-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hey

I played my first stableford comp yesterday and scored 29 points. I was happy with this. I have a handicap of 25 but now 25.1 :( . Anyone know what you need to score to start it going in the other direction or even stay the same??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Hey

I played my first stableford comp yesterday and scored 29 points. I was happy with this. I have a handicap of 25 but now 25.1 :( . Anyone know what you need to score to start it going in the other direction or even stay the same??

Thanks in advance

In order to get a cut you need to score better than CSS - as a category 4 player, for every shot you are better than CSS then you will be cut 0.4.
    To get no cut and no 0.1 back you need to score in your buffer zone - for you that will be between CSS and CSS +4.

For example, if the CSS was 36 points and you shot 39 then you would be cut 1.2 (3 x 0.4). If you shot 34 points then you would be in your buffer zone (32 - 36) and so no change to your handicap. Anything below 32 points and you would get a 0.1 back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hey

Thanks in advance
    Good scoring for your first stableford. Keep scoring like that and won't be long until you start hitting the 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sir Shankalot

Hey

Thanks in advance

For illustrative purposes lets assume that the standard scratch (SS) in every comp you play in from now on turns out to be 36 points.

To get cut you will need to beat this SS, and for every shot you beat it by you will be cut 0.4. So if you shoot 38 pts you will get cut 2 x 0.4 = 0.8 and your new handicap will be 24.3. This continues in this fashion until you get to 18 when the size of cut reduces to 0.3 per cut...it changes to 0.2 when you get to 12 but don't worry about that just yet!

In order to avoid getting point ones back you will need to match the SS (eg 36pts) or shoot a score that is in what is known as the "buffer zone". I think (but am not sure) that the buffer for your handicap is 4 shots/points meaning you could score 32 points and not get point one back, instead remaining at 25.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thanks guys, now it makes sense and i know what i need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PROV2

Thanks guys, now it makes sense and i know what i need to do.
    ABitofsense or ALotofsense? :D (Sorry - couldn't resist!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement