Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S - problem installing android 2.3 via Kies

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi I have a Galaxy S running android 2.2 which I installed using Kies about 6 months ago. I tried to install 2.3 using Kies but I'm getting a recurring problem. I fire up Kies and connect the phone. Kies tells me there's an upgrade available so I proceed with the upgrade without doing any backups.
    However after Kies says that it has started the upgrade it goes off for a couple of minutes then comes back and says

"Device not responding. To resolve the issue, reboot the device."

The phone itself says all the time that it's connected. I tried rebooting the phone and re-connecting several times but always the same issue. Anyone else come across this? I'm running Vista Ultimate on my laptop if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi I have a Galaxy S running android 2.2 which I installed using Kies about 6 months ago. I tried to install 2.3 using Kies but I'm getting a recurring problem. I fire up Kies and connect the phone. Kies tells me there's an upgrade available so I proceed with the upgrade without doing any backups.
    However after Kies says that it has started the upgrade it goes off for a couple of minutes then comes back and says

"Device not responding. To resolve the issue, reboot the device."

The phone itself says all the time that it's connected. I tried rebooting the phone and re-connecting several times but always the same issue. Anyone else come across this? I'm running Vista Ultimate on my laptop if that makes a difference.
    Try putting on USB debug mode on the phone/along with when the phone is recognised in Kies make sure that you have copy files over enabled (Ie device loads like a pen drive in explorer), had a similar problem with my galaxy 5 upgrading the firmware and that sorted it,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

yoyo wrote: »
    Try putting on USB debug mode on the phone/along with when the phone is recognised in Kies make sure that you have copy files over enabled (Ie device loads like a pen drive in explorer), had a similar problem with my galaxy 5 upgrading the firmware and that sorted it,

Nick

Hey Nick thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't see how to do either of those things :( How do I put on USB debug mode, and how do I get copy files over enabled?

Cheers

Hey Nick thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't see how to do either of those things :( How do I put on USB debug mode, and how do I get copy files over enabled?

Cheers

Go into settings>Application>Development>Usb debugging, then when you connect the phone to the computer slide down the notification area and there should be an option "Click here to turn on or off file copying" or words to that effect, turn it on,

Nick

Go into settings>Application>Development>Usb debugging, then when you connect the phone to the computer slide down the notification area and there should be an option "Click here to turn on or off file copying" or words to that effect, turn it on,

Nick

Hi Nick thanks for the update. Unfortunately Kies throws up a message after I turn on debugging and connect the phone:

"Reconnect the device in Samsung Kies(PC Studio) mode. Current connection mode not supported by Kies"

Hi Nick thanks for the update. Unfortunately Kies throws up a message after I turn on debugging and connect the phone:

"Reconnect the device in Samsung Kies(PC Studio) mode. Current connection mode not supported by Kies"

Ok, try turning off USB debugging but make sure the file copy mode is turned on, Kies really is a pos software :( Do you get the downloading screen when this error is occuring btw? Or is the phone still on, mine hung at the screen which said Downloading...

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Sorry this is off topic, but is this new firmware 2.3.3 or 2.3.4?

Do you get the downloading screen when this error is occuring btw? Or is the phone still on, mine hung at the screen which said Downloading...

Nick

After I connect the phone appears in the "Connected devices" section on the left as GT-I9000. I get to the check box that says "I have read the above instructions", then to the backup dialog which backs up the contact info. I select "skip backup" but then it immediately loses the connection...a small message appears on the bottom right saying "Connection to GT-I9000 lost" and the phone disappears from the connected devices list. It then comes back about 2 minutes later with the message in my first post.
    Zagato wrote: »
    Sorry this is off topic, but is this new firmware 2.3.3 or 2.3.4?
    I'm not sure what version it is, there's a popup that has various bits of info about the latest firmware that I don't understand:

After I connect the phone appears in the "Connected devices" section on the left as GT-I9000. I get to the check box that says "I have read the above instructions", then to the backup dialog which backs up the contact info. I select "skip backup" but then it immediately loses the connection...a small message appears on the bottom right saying "Connection to GT-I9000 lost" and the phone disappears from the connected devices list. It then comes back about 2 minutes later with the message in my first post.

I'm not sure what version it is, there's a popup that has various bits of info about the latest firmware that I don't understand:

No idea then man :( Does it even get to the stage of downloading the update (Takes bloody ages from memory :rolleyes:)? If so you may be able force the phone into downloading mode (holding vol down>Middle button and on/off button similtaniously on the galaxy 5), but not sure if Kies would be cool with that, I've since installed Cynogen & custom ROM on my phone, runs Gingerbread fine actually which is suprising for a Galaxy 5 which is very basic as Android phones go, but when I did install the official package from Kies I had difficulty seeming different to yours.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Looking at that picture I'd say it's Gingerbread.

No idea then man :( Does it even get to the stage of downloading the update (Takes bloody ages from memory :rolleyes:)? Nick

Cheers for the effort Nick, nope doesn't get as far as the download at all it just bombs out once I select Skip backup. Actually it might have been Kies air that I used to install 2.2 so might be worth giving that a go..can't be any worse Kies is a dog's dinner :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

When upgrading to 2.2 I had to try three different PCs before I found one that would connect to the device properly, I don't know if this was a driver problem -obviously you have successfully used kies before so I guess that's not the issue

I just wonder if it's worth doing an uninstall and reinstall of kies? I'm sure it's kies that is the problem, not your SGS

Zagato wrote: »
    just wonder if it's worth doing an uninstall and reinstall of kies? I'm sure it's kies that is the problem, not your SGS

Ya got the latest Kies alright but still no joy. Might try another PC though good suggestion

For the driver suggestion the installers for the Samsung phone drivrs are located in the Kies program files directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Kies\USB Driver, not (x86) if using a 32 bit windows) as a standalone installer so might be no harm in running it, failing that uninstall/reinstall or try a different pc,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Johnny_191

Got it working on Win 7 64bit,
    1. Remove Sim card
    2. Format SD card
    3. Factory Reset

That does the job.

-Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

any less destructive solution than wiping phone?

i've tried Win7 32 and 64bit... will try XP or Vista or next few days if i have to.

i get the "data backup cannot proceed because of an unexpected error" if i choose to do a backup

if i skip backup, as soon as it tries to download the firmware.. Kies says "connection to phone lost" and it fails.

i'm hoping it Kies is just awful and not my phone is the issue

if i skip backup, as soon as it tries to download the firmware.. Kies says "connection to phone lost" and it fails.

i'm hoping it Kies is just awful and not my phone is the issue

That's pretty much the same issues as I had. I tried on an older XP machine as well but same errors.

So in the end I went and installed Darkys 10.1. It was a pretty long haul as my phone wasn't rooted so I had to do that first. Then it wouldn't boot into download or recovery mode, so I had to get that working. Then I downloaded Titanium and backed up whatever apps I needed and also a Contacts app for contacts and another one for SMS messages. Once this was done I copied the 10.1 zip file to my sd root and booted into recovery mode, which worked and installed Darkys. Then I went and restored all the backups.

So now the phone is tearing around the place, no lags at all. I used to think it was pretty fast but compared to now there used to be some lags going in and out of different apps and other stuff. Now I plan to give Darkys 10.2 a few more days to see if there's any issues with it and if not I'll be lashing that on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

hey, i gave in and factory reset then it worked no probs with Win7 64bit

as you said, the phone is flying now.

about an hour from backup, wipe, upgrade and restore data. wasnt too bad overall.

Nice one. Kies is a complete dog's dinner though, whoever makes it shouldn't be allowed to create software :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mizohican

Hi!

I took the effort to register only to comment in this thread.

I just wanted to say that I have been facing the exact same problem "Connection to device lost" every time I tried to upgrade, and so I did what EpiphoneSpecial did and factory reseted by phone (after backing up all my files). And FINALLY I was able to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3.3 successfully in my first attempt itself! (My stupid Kies still said "connection to device lost" but nevertheless it upgraded. lolz!)

Thank you so much guys!

Advertisement