Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could my wireless key be stolen this way?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Basically what happened was that my laptop was connected to the wireless network at home and suddenly the laptop battery died and the laptop turned off. Normally i disconnect from the wireless by pressing the disconnect from network button on my laptop. Does this mean that my wireless key was sent out in the clear (intercepted by somebody else) or does it simply mean my laptop disconnected from the wireless network albeit a bit roughly than normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ahyeah78

i guess i better Bring Up My Post lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

it just disconnected abruptly, you're wireless network key didn't get sent anywhere, don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ahyeah78

deadduck wrote: »
    it just disconnected abruptly, you're wireless network key didn't get sent anywhere, don't worry.

Yeh thats what i thought though could some of the mods here on boards weigh in on this-would like to hear their opinion too ....

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

People put laptops into standby, turn them off, close the lid etc. all the time without disconnecting from the wireless connection first. Don't worry about it, you can do that no problem and you're network password won't be sent anywhere or intercepted by anyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As the other posters have rightly said you have nothing to worry about (well in relation to your wireless key anyways!:D).

Besides there is absolutely nothing to stop you changing your password any time you want just in case that you do not believe the very wise people here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement