Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little advice please

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am Currently applying for a grant and need a little help please, i am unemployed and on Jsa.
    Just a few questions.

2) A15 Documentary evidence as proof of living independently
    I have my lease agreement, will this be ok?

B4 Documentary evidence for your residency for 3 out of the last 5 years
    I have old bank statements dating back to 2008, for my parents address? I have not used the bank account for about two years.

F2 Documentary evidence for social welfare payments
    How do i obtain this?

Also do i just then apply for back to education after ive finished with the grant.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help you can provide would be much appreciated, and sorry if theses questions have been asked before, i just cant seem to find the answers anywhere and my local vec seems to be closed.
    Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lease agreement should be okay.

Bank statements should be fine.

You can go down to the Social Welfare office and ask them to give you a letter to say how long you've been claiming for - dates and how much you've claimed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Thanks for such a fast reply, really appreciate it, do i just then apply for back to education allowence or wait untill september?
    thanks

I'm not sure about that.

The posters in this forum are great, so hopefully someone will come along and answer that question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

For proof of residency, I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to prove that. For the past two years I was on VTOS and before that i was on JSA. How do I actually go about proving the 3 out of 5 years. I'll have my VTOS statement but it'll only be for 2010. How do other people provide proof. I have bank statements that only go back about 2 - 3 months.

As for the BTEA allowance I was advised to wait put it in, as long as your eligible, but you wont be paid until you start your course.

CylonYoda wrote: »
    For proof of residency, I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to prove that. For the past two years I was on VTOS and before that i was on JSA. How do I actually go about proving the 3 out of 5 years. I'll have my VTOS statement but it'll only be for 2010. How do other people provide proof. I have bank statements that only go back about 2 - 3 months.

As for the BTEA allowance I was advised to wait put it in, as long as your eligible, but you wont be paid until you start your course.

If you were claiming JSA, go to the SWO and ask for proof of payments. They just fill out a form with your details and write the dates down for the time you were claiming payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

When it comes to BTEA my advice to get the actual form as soon as possible as they tend to fly out of the SWO!.
    I have already applied and been accepted for BTEA but not sure if thats the right thing. I was in VTOS and was told when I actually get my offer from college etc fill in the form and apply. In my opinion with the grant form etc etc the more you do now and get out of the way the better. In short get the form fill it when you get your CAO college offer and apply. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My brother is having a lot of trouble with this he brought in utility bills (which werent in his name, silly I knw but hes stressed to bits) he also gave bank statements which werent acceptable as proof of residence according to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JD81 wrote: »
    Also do i just then apply for back to education after ive finished with the grant.

Right ok - firstly you can get BTEA or a maintenance grant but not both. If you get BTEA you can get a fee grant. You are probably better off applying for BTEA first then filling out the grant form to apply for fee grant
    2) A15 Documentary evidence as proof of living independently
    I have my lease agreement, will this be ok?
    Documentary evidence for an independent student
    Documentary evidence is required of residence from 1 October of the year preceding the first
    point of entry or re-entry to an approved course. Generally this would include:
    • utility bills, such as telephone, gas or electricity;
    • registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board;
    • documentation received, for example, bank statement or correspondence from a
    government department.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf
    B4 Documentary evidence for your residency for 3 out of the last 5 years
    I have old bank statements dating back to 2008, for my parents address? I have not used the bank account for about two years.
    Documentary evidence for residency for 3 out of the last 5 years
    This may be one or more of the following:
    • evidence that the applicant sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in
    Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming the
    applicant’s attendance at a school;
    • social welfare statements or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • utility bills;
    • registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB), or equivalent from
    the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • if the applicant is a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and
    Equality confirming the period of lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful
    presence cannot be considered.
    F2 Documentary evidence for social welfare payments
    How do i obtain this?

https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/OnlineStatementRequest.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

This might be a help to yew. If you are a member of a credit union for the past few years they will send you out statements! Rang yesterday and received 6 years of statements in the post this morning! The banks are charging for statements so this is very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

I went to my local adult education centre for advice from the careers guidence people there. its a free service they offer (in Clare anyway) and they helped me fill in the forms.

I finished first year this year and what I got was BTEA from Social but you need to apply for it ASAP cause if your in one of the busier Offices like a city one it can be ages before it gets sorted and they will make you take days off college to go and sit in an office and wait. they also say you need to contact them before you start so get in there ASAP. its just a case of saying it to them in the office and they will giive you the form and talk you through it. Depending on the person of course.
    It works out as €188 a week plus whatever benefits you already claim and the grant if you were to only apply for that and not BTEA works out at €130 per week but you get it in mmonthly or every 3 months depending on location.
    So I get my BTEA and fee's paid for by my local VEC. send the paperwork in straight away and call into the office and ask do you need anything else. they will tell you straight away and may even accept the paperwork you have completed and let you come back with the rest. At least that way your in the system.
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Right ok - firstly you can get BTEA or a maintenance grant but not both. If you get BTEA you can get a fee grant. You are probably better off applying for BTEA first then filling out the grant form to apply for fee grant

Thank you everyone for the helpful information, really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. mango salsa i'm a little confused now, all i want is the fees paid and to get btea, i didn't think there was a difference :o
    So i've applied through the vec for a grant and am currently gathering the materials so they can process my application, have i done the wrong thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thank you everyone for the helpful information, really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. mango salsa i'm a little confused now, all i want is the fees paid and to get btea, i didn't think there was a difference :o
    So i've applied through the vec for a grant and am currently gathering the materials so they can process my application, have i done the wrong thing?

no that's fine but just make sure you apply for BTEA and also that on the grant forms they know you'reapplying for BTEA

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement