Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting Car to Oz?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all

I'm moving to Oz and half thinking of exporting my car over. For the craic I looked up quotes and found one for €1000 from South-hampton to Perth. I'd have to get if over there - or it costs €400 to get it from Dublin over. It takes 31 days - what do you think? Would it be worth it? It's just that my car has low mileage but is 10 years old so I won't be able to sell it - its worth more to me than anyone else?

What ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What car is it? It might be no use to you outside of a city, you need something strong preferably with roo bars and a big fuel tank. You can pick up cars cheap there, just hang around the airport for a few hours and get a free car off some backpackers who couldn't sell there's before leaving.

I picked up a ford falcon for $30 and it lasted 6mts without a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SlamDunk

What car is it? It might be no use to you outside of a city, you need something strong preferably with roo bars and a big fuel tank. You can pick up cars cheap there, just hang around the airport for a few hours and get a free car off some backpackers who couldn't sell there's before leaving.

I picked up a ford falcon for $30 and it lasted 6mts without a bother.

It's a VW golf 1.4.

How does tax/insurance etc our licenses work out there?

Thanks for quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

SlamDunk wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm moving to Oz and half thinking of exporting my car over. For the craic I looked up quotes and found one for €1000 from South-hampton to Perth. I'd have to get if over there - or it costs €400 to get it from Dublin over. It takes 31 days - what do you think? Would it be worth it? It's just that my car has low mileage but is 10 years old so I won't be able to sell it - its worth more to me than anyone else?

What ye think?

Theres a lot more than the shipping costs to consider. There are all sorts of charges and fees for importing a car and it gets very expensive as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP - please do a search on the forum - this has been answered a few times, going to leave this open as someone might have actually done it.

But the general consensus is too expensive and not worth it

Also if I am not mistaken there is a import tax

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

hussey wrote: »
    OP - please do a search on the forum - this has been answered a few times, going to leave this open as someone might have actually done it.

But the general consensus is too expensive and not worth it

Also if I am not mistaken there is a import tax

It is late but i will comment briefly.

Don't bother for that sort of car,the import fees for handling and tax to get it on the road are huge.
    I brought an 01 Dc5 Integra TypeR with me in 06,cost me the guts of E2500 shipping and handling to get to Sydney's port from Ireland(20Ft container with loads of personal items too),$1000 dollars to get it to a warehouse for inspection for quarantine,$150ish to the quarantine folks for inspection nearly $9000 to register it,similar to VRT here(totally unseen and the missus near killed me!).

Took 5 days to get through quarantine too which was unexpected so the MPV rental had to be extended and the hotel stay so it all added up to quite a bit.

Life would have been a lot easier if we had of known we were going to stay on the Goldcoast and not Sydney as intended and had the container delivered to Brissy!
    The joys of of driving on Irish plates from Sydney to the Goldacoast(illegally but unbeknown to me at the time) priceless :)

There is also a compliance plate to be fitted before the vehicle can go on the roads,a guy called up to my house and did it more or less on the spot after an inspection which is similar to a Road Worthy Cert check with a few more technicalities like safety points/child seat anchors etc,cost just @$275.
    Took me near 6 months to sell it too.
    Looking at the cars over there now for the $3-4K bracket it's scary,they value their secondhand market a million miles from ours,i love classics though.

Just to note you need to be the registered owner of the vehicle for over a year and to supply insurance documents or similar to prove so and you need to apply for a Private Import form(all done online)and have it approved before the car leaves for it's destination port.

Lots of hassle really but if you did it right and had 2 cars in the brackets,one could pay for the other,or something rare and exclusive that wouldn't be in OZ or an expensive car that owes you too much to sell for pennies here as the markets dead you might just break even on it when it comes to resale time,i nearly did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement