Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retrofusion - need some help with a retro site

• 22-07-2011 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have been running a retro site for about a year - I have given it a boost over the last 3 months and would very much like a few more helpers to run the site.

Let us know what you think and if your interested.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What kinda help are you looking for? Admin, tech, contributors...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

No bloody way

Boulder Dash only 47th in your top 100

*Grabs Baseball Bat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boyowilkins

Well ideally I would like some individuals to post up daily 'News' items. These are interesting finds and news in the retro world.

I would also like regular features and I have a list of retro celebs lined up for interview that I would like help with.

Then there is the community spirit - forum and news/feature posts. The site gets around 6-800 unique visitors a day. I need to try and get those guys to register and be apart of the site.

The rankings are coming down each day. The challenge now is to get paid advertising - if we get that then I can pay contributors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Sparks43 wrote: »
    No bloody way

Boulder Dash only 47th in your top 100

*Grabs Baseball Bat*
    ..and listing it as a c64 game when the original Atari 8 bit is (slightly) better anyway.MADNESS!
    *Grabs bigger Baseball bat*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

the hardest part about running a website like that is the constant updating of news. writing "features" and getting review copys of games is great, but its hard to get people on board, it really is at times, a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was writing games for free for a while to help get a site started. Had to leave because it was just too much work and my college work just increased so much around that time. It really is a full time job playing games for review and it's not worth it just for the promo games.

yeh totally agree most of the games you have to review are terrible, you would never play them if you didnt have to! and the problem is NO ONE is going to work on a site just doing news, unless they are getting review copys for doing it as a kind of payment, but the people getting those review copys want to keep them but not have to do the news posts, so its catch 22.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even with good games it becomes a pain. I got landed with some 40+ hour RPGs, it wasn't much fun. Crisis Core was the worst because it wasn't agreat game. However being forced to play it makes you hate it. To rub it in I bought that one for review to fill a PSP shaped hole in the reviews section :)

Guitar\Band games are also a nightmare. they are all the same except the songs are different, its hard not to write the same review for each of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, had a look at that site and it all looks a little too professional to be hunting here for anything other than new patrons, increasing your ad revenue.
    No advertising of sites allowed here, this smacks of spam.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement