Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "thinking of getting UPC" thread

• 22-07-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know there are loads of threads similar to this but I couldn't find any answers that answer my questions...
    I'm thinking of getting the 50mb BB with phone when my upc fibre line becomes active next week, but I have a couple of questions. I'm currently using Eircom's NGB 24mb line and phone. I was given a new zykel router but it was crap (kept disconnecting and I was only getting 12mb at max) so I rigged back up my old netopia. I'm now getting a steady 8 mb with no disconnects - using my netopia and a belkin wireless router.

1. With the fibre BB and phone, does the router plug directly into the wall box provided?
    2. Does the phone line plug directly into the wall box or into the router?
    3. Can you run multiple phone lines off the wall box/router? Can I run a phoneline into my sky box for example?
    4. Do normal phones work with the wall box/router? I'm asking because they have handsets for sale on their site for €15
    5. What's the range of their wireless routers? I think they're 'n' but are they any good?
    6. Does their router have a usage meter similar to DUmeter built in?

I will be asking the sales guys these questions and more next week, but from experience, their answers can be a bit flaky at best, so I thought I'd ask here for some impartial answers...;)

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

newbie2 wrote: »
    1. With the fibre BB and phone, does the router plug directly into the wall box provided?

Yes, it plugs directly into the cable point on the wall.
    2. Does the phone line plug directly into the wall box or into the router?

Yes. There are 2 phone ports on the modem.
    3. Can you run multiple phone lines off the wall box/router? Can I run a phoneline into my sky box for example?

I guess you could attach more phones. Just attach a standard phone line splitter should do it. I don't think a Sky box will work though, as it's a VOIP phone service, and the Sky box is expecting a PSTN.
    4. Do normal phones work with the wall box/router? I'm asking because they have handsets for sale on their site for €15

Yes, any phone should do.
    5. What's the range of their wireless routers? I think they're 'n' but are they any good?

That's a loaded question. It's as good as it will be, and no better ;)

It's not bad anyway, but some people will have poorer range/speed than others.
    6. Does their router have a usage meter similar to DUmeter built in?

No, and no customisations are available for it either (none that I know of anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pretty much what jor el said, although i've been meaning to try my sky box with it just to see if it will work for remote record from my phone, although i just never seem to get around to doing it.

almost any phone should work, with the exception of some very old dect phones like the ones i got from argos about 7 years ago which won't work with a digital line. :(

most modern dect phones *should* work fine though as long as they are compatible with a digital line. you'd be hard pushed to find any that wouldn't now though.

Advertisement