Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Road Bike!

• 22-07-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all!
    I am considering buying my first entry level road bike!:)
    So I visited some of the local stores today and was recommended the
    Felt F95 for €800 or the Giant Defy 4 for €675.

I was just wondering has anyone any experience of these bikes or if you could recommend a bike in the same price range!
    Another question I have is what to ask about in the store as i wouldn't really have a clue about road bikes just kinda reading up on them now! and I probably wouldn't be able to spot some BS from the guy in the store!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

See my threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056325392
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056335523

Going through a similar struggle myself. If you search a bit you will also find similar posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Felt has a better spec and a slightly racier position. Also 18 speed. And Carbon Fork.

Giant is only 16 speed. But it looks way nicer IMO. A Giant Defy 3 or 2 might be closer in spec to the Felt.

Both are grand bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

I called into the local bike shop today and tried out the Giant Defy 4 and the Trek 1.2
    I like the trek, it was priced at €725 and I was just wondering is this a good price? and if the spec is good quality for an entry level bike?
    cheers guys . . this really is a learning curve!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

Hi The trek 1.2 is a far better spec bike
    It has carbon forks. It is lighter.
    It has sora components at the front and tiagra components at the back. Also the rrp for this bike is 899 euro. The new model will probably be announced shortly for the new year hence the lower price

The Giant has starter components 2300 shifters and components while sora and tiagra are a step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

forfcksake wrote: »
    I called into the local bike shop today and tried out the Giant Defy 4 and the Trek 1.2
    I like the trek, it was priced at €725 and I was just wondering is this a good price? and if the spec is good quality for an entry level bike?

From the research I done recently myself if you were offered a trek 1.2 for €725 thats a fairly good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 runcowboy

forfcksake wrote: »

Who is your local bike shop, that is a good price for that?

Advertisement