Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMus??

Options
  • 22-07-2011 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Got offered a place in the MMus course.
    How many contact hours are there roughly during the week?
    I currently live about an hour and a half from dublin and I'm
    wondering if it would be necessary to rent or would I be able
    to commute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Assuming you split your taught modules 2 per semester (which is definitely recommended, although it's up to you which subjects you really want to take), it's just 4 hours per week (2 x 2hr classes) so you'd either be in one day for 4 hours or 2 days for 2 hours each.

Additionally you may be obliged (and if not, it's still very heavily encouraged) to attend the guest-speaker-based seminar series in Musicology (or Ethnomusicology, whichever strand you've chosen) and maybe the Analysis seminars too.

There's certainly no *need* to be around the department except for when your classes are on or you're meeting with your thesis supervisor, but as with any college degree (in my experience anyway), the more time you spend in the environment of your subject area is of benefit to you.

Advertisement