Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox overheating

Options
  • 22-07-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi, I know this is a common problem so sorry for bringing it up again. Anyway I looked on some tutorials of fixing it so just wondering if it is very difficult. I opened it up and followed instructions but still overheating. Is it the actual CPU overheating or what? I dont have any thermal cooling things though, so where could I get some? Also what should I get to clean the CPU or is any of this necessary?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Two red lights (xbox overheating) is often caused by the thermal paste hardening around the CPU, this limits the amount of heat that can be transferred to the heatsink and the heat keeps building until you get two red lights. You can remove the old thermal paste with some elbow grease and the right cleaning agent.

Buy some Arctic silver 5 put a blob of this in the center of the die(shiny part) of the CPU once you have cleaned the old thermal compound with thermal compound cleaner, reassemble and test.

The reason why it's still overheating is because you haven't put a fresh layer of thermal paste on the CPU this is a necessity your Xbox will not work without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MoogPoo

great! thanks a million. wasnt sure how to clean the cpu, thanks for the links. Are there any shops that would sell those things, or any alternative products that could be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TIM cleaner can be bought in PC world. Make sure you're careful with it tho.

Advertisement