Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats coming to the docks now?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

In the empty space where those oil tankers used to be and where the volvo ocean race and funfair was there seems to be some activity. A ground breaker is opening small holes in the ground and a group of lads are sledge hammering pegs into them. Its in the shape of a huge circle. Anyone know whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

In the empty space where those oil tankers used to be and where the volvo ocean race and funfair was there seems to be some activity. A ground breaker is opening small holes in the ground and a group of lads are sledge hammering pegs into them. Its in the shape of a huge circle. Anyone know whats going on?

Errrmmmmm,....they're putting up a big tent ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tinglingtree

snubbleste wrote: »
    I know.

Well do tell....

tatoo wrote: »
    Errrmmmmm,....they're putting up a big tent ??

Thats what I'm thinking. Didn't hear of anything coming though, its hardly a circus

Well do tell....

I could.

• Advertisement

I could.

I don't believe you know at all. I'm cynical like that

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I think its the tent for the races next week. There are bands and stuff.
    I heard the publicans are not happy bout it.

elaney wrote: »
    I think its the tent for the races next week. There are bands and stuff.
    I heard the publicans are not happy bout it.

That would be deadly, any links or info?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

From Galwaynews.ie:

Publicans peeved at Race Week dockside carnival

July 19, 2011 - 7:00am
    Concerts predicted draw up 3,500 patrons away from city pubs

By Dara Bradley
    City publicans who rely on the Galway Race Week bonanza to sustain their businesses throughout the winter are fearful that a new Carnival festival with live music at the Docks will ‘hoover up’ 3,500 patrons from their premises during the busiest nights of the racing festival.
    Details of the Galway Race Week Carnival at the docks were unveiled last week causing some disquiet among rate-paying publicans in the city, who traditionally depend on a booming Race Week drinks trade to keep them profitable.
    There are fears that the Carnival, which will have a bar, food area and live entertainment ‘big top’ tent with a 2,000 capacity, as well as a children’s Ferris wheel and funfair, and cater for 3,500 customers in all at a time, will take business away from long-established bars, pubs and restaurants that are open all year.
    The Carnival runs from Thursday (Ladies Day) until Sunday July 31, and opens for families from noon daily; with free concerts on Thursday and Friday and paid-for concerts on Saturday and Sunday when The Stunning and Legendary Horslips are the headline acts. The adult-only evening concerts begin at 6pm and the bar must cease trading at 10pm. There will be pizzas, burgers and other food served in stalls on site.
    It is not known whether Diageo, the owners of Guinness, have secured the ‘pouring rights’ for the event but the company is understood to be supporting Carnival through promotion and advertising, which has irked some of its long-term publican clients in the city.
    Carnival, which is being run by Hotel Meyrick Fagan’s Bar in Eyre Square, caught publicans off-guard because it didn’t need to publicise in local newspapers that it was applying for an occasional drinks licence. The event is being run on private property owned by the owners of Hotel Meyrick, and the licence granted was an extension of the hotel licence, which doesn’t need local newspaper publication.

spoilsport :P

• Advertisement

spoilsport :P

You didnt have a clue!! hahah

From Galwaynews.ie:

Publicans peeved at Race Week dockside carnival

July 19, 2011 - 7:00am
    Concerts predicted draw up 3,500 patrons away from city pubs

By Dara Bradley
    City publicans who rely on the Galway Race Week bonanza to sustain their businesses throughout the winter are fearful that a new Carnival festival with live music at the Docks will ‘hoover up’ 3,500 patrons from their premises during the busiest nights of the racing festival.
    Details of the Galway Race Week Carnival at the docks were unveiled last week causing some disquiet among rate-paying publicans in the city, who traditionally depend on a booming Race Week drinks trade to keep them profitable.
    There are fears that the Carnival, which will have a bar, food area and live entertainment ‘big top’ tent with a 2,000 capacity, as well as a children’s Ferris wheel and funfair, and cater for 3,500 customers in all at a time, will take business away from long-established bars, pubs and restaurants that are open all year.
    The Carnival runs from Thursday (Ladies Day) until Sunday July 31, and opens for families from noon daily; with free concerts on Thursday and Friday and paid-for concerts on Saturday and Sunday when The Stunning and Legendary Horslips are the headline acts. The adult-only evening concerts begin at 6pm and the bar must cease trading at 10pm. There will be pizzas, burgers and other food served in stalls on site.
    It is not known whether Diageo, the owners of Guinness, have secured the ‘pouring rights’ for the event but the company is understood to be supporting Carnival through promotion and advertising, which has irked some of its long-term publican clients in the city.
    Carnival, which is being run by Hotel Meyrick Fagan’s Bar in Eyre Square, caught publicans off-guard because it didn’t need to publicise in local newspapers that it was applying for an occasional drinks licence. The event is being run on private property owned by the owners of Hotel Meyrick, and the licence granted was an extension of the hotel licence, which doesn’t need local newspaper publication.

Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for

You didnt have a clue!! hahah

I so did!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oops! Next appeared twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wouldnt think The Stunning is selling very well. Was in today for my Horslips tickets and there were posters/signs everywhere for them. No advertising at all for the 'Lips.
    Btw if anyone is getting tickets for either gig buy them from Fagins and save yerselves the Ticketmaster ripoff extras.

Advertisement