Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using mobile i-net abroad out of the question?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I am on PAYG vodafone. Will be in Estonia & Latvia over the next week. I suppose it's out of the question (ie. from a pricing viewpoint) to use mobile i-net - if in fact it would even work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it really depends on a few variables:

your phone
    your browser
    level of use
    data charges

i was in spain for a week last summer. i have an addiction to boards (or so the missus says). for the week i went back to using my old sony ericsson w995 and used opera mini for the browser. m.boards.ie pages come through at ~2kb per page. iirc the charge was €10.24 per mb which while stupidly expensive normally can be managed when needs be.

i must stress that i stick to mobile sites e.g. m.rte.ie, bbc.co.uk/mobile etc

i got my boards fix while relaxing each evening and i think in the end it cost about €6 for the week.

had i tried the same on my htc desire, i dare to think it may have been slightly more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Ok, well that's not so bad. I only use it for gmail access - and I have images disabled in the browser settings. Will phone work in countries where vodafone don't have a presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it'll roam if the facility is enabled on your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I am on PAYG vodafone. Will be in Estonia & Latvia over the next week. I suppose it's out of the question (ie. from a pricing viewpoint) to use mobile i-net - if in fact it would even work?

Estonia is 99c/50MB per day (or if you use the 250MB top-up promo then your usage will just come out of that).
    Data roaming won't work in Latvia.

You MUST use the live.vodafone.com APN though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Kensington wrote: »
    Estonia is 99c/50MB per day (or if you use the 250MB top-up promo then your usage will just come out of that).
    Data roaming won't work in Latvia.

You MUST use the live.vodafone.com APN though.

Thanks for that. As it transpired, I couldn't make calls or access i-net in Latvia. In Estonia, I could make calls but couldn't access i-net...despite using live.vodafone.com.

That said, I found it easy to pickup free wifi in city centres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement