Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Virus Maybe

• 22-07-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

ok i think the computer i am fixing has a computer Virus or RAT..

Why do i think it has, well first off i was told it is never turn off.. more then 1 person uses it.

The Computer wont allow me to Install and AntVirus Software, tells me InterConnection failed. it wont allow me onto any Microsoft Site..

I did a netStat and nothing seems to show up their.. I looked at the User Accounts all the Sharing is Turned off, Change Password for User.

I dont want to ReInstall Windows. as she will lose all her Software/Files. ERROR Cide 0x80004002. No Such Interface Supported.
    What is the best thing i can do to see if this has a Virus. Wont allow me Either to Use Nortons Online Virus Scanner. So i would say its a RAT more then a Virus as some of those Feckers can Block AntVirus and Any Site the End User wants to block.

I got one Installed COMODO. but trying to do a Scan tells me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Use something like BootMyIso or Yumi to create a bootable USB drive which includes a rescue disc and an anti virus or Kaspersky Rescue CD (Virus Scanner).

Boot from the USB and run a scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

ok i will give this a go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Download and run malwarebytes and tdsskiller and post the logs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

A good general purpose malware cleaning routine is to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and then use a combination of Rkill, TFC & Malwarebytes in the right order.

1. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 key until a black screen appears with boot options. Select the 'Safe Mode with Networking' option.
    2. Download & run Rkill. This kills any known malware processes and stops them interfering with scanning.
    3. Download, install & run TFC. This cleans out all sorts of crap and helps speed up the scanning
    3. Download, install, update & run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes will output a ext file with the results of the scanning/cleaning so post that here so that we can we see what it found.

If you're still having bother after all that let us know and you can try a few other bits (e.g. TDSSkiller as Damagegt suggested) that can sometimes also be necessary depending on the type of infection.

Advertisement