Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: Be extra vigilant in town at the moment

Options
  • 22-07-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just a word of warning. My girlfriend got attacked completely at random and unprovoked in town today in broad daylight. The guy was caught but apparently attacked 6 other women before that. Just beware is all, I've seen a few posts on here in the last year about similar situations, it's important to know you need to watch out. She wasn't alone either, so I don't know really, self defense classes or other means of protection is advised.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

That's terrible Wompa. Hope she is ok. Thanks for the warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Glad they caught him, hope she's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Thanks for the warning, hope your girlfriend is ok. I dont know what other kinds of protection are available, legal ones anyway? Can pepper spray be bought here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

What was the nature of the attack Wompa? It is important. Was it for money or possessions or just a random attack? Hope girlfriend is being comforted following her ordeal. That was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dec25532 wrote: »
    What was the nature of the attack Wompa? It is important. Was it for money or possessions or just a random attack? Hope girlfriend is being comforted following her ordeal. That was terrible.

Pepper spray is illegal in Ireland I believe and it was completely random. Not provoked and he didn't steal anything, he was walking past her friend and her and he did he reared back and hit in her the face, bust her lip open and one side of her face is swelling. He kept walking on, her friend said Oh My God, did you just punch my friend on the face. He turned back still walking and said Whatever, she deserved it....

sounds like a complete f'kin psycho. All victims were women. Gardai were driving past just after it happened and were flagged down, they were already looking for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

oh my god, thats crazy! hope ur gfriend is ok! scary stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

thats crazy sh!t, hope your misses is alright.
    Same thing happened to my friends daughter during the week, was getting of the bus, shes only 16/17 some guy just randomly attacked her, totally unprovoked and out of the blue.
    its a bad sign when you cant even go into town to do your shopping / hang out with your friends when you have to be looking over your shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

let's hope the authorities can keep this guy locked up and not release another Gerry barry type creature onto the streets again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Its like something that would happen in prison, some prisoner that didn't get rehabilitated and still thinks yard rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I got approached by three scums when I was out in Galway one night, ready to beat shades out of me outside TK Maxx.

Luckily my verbal self defence was enough, I learnt some good techniques from magicians, etc back in the day on how to defend myself and it worked, they pretended they were only messing and then buggered off.

But in truth, these incidents will occur everywhere. The most you can do is be vigiliant, prepared and go out of your way to avoid them.

• Advertisement

I got approached by three scums when I was out in Galway one night, ready to beat shades out of me outside TK Maxx.

Luckily my verbal self defence was enough, I learnt some good techniques from magicians, etc back in the day on how to defend myself and it worked, they pretended they were only messing and then buggered off.

But in truth, these incidents will occur everywhere. The most you can do is be vigilant, prepared and go out of your way to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Sounds like a complete nutjob. Was he on anything I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Anyone have a description of the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hope she is OK Wompa... Probably one of those lads that wouldn't try taking on someone bigger than himself... Pr1ck....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I learnt some good techniques from magicians

Er...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Zillah wrote: »
    Er...what?

I presume Jedi Mind tricks, using your tone of voice etc to gain a Psychological edge that makes em think twice (probably for the first time in their lives)?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

This is shocking stuff, really sorry to hear about this. The guy must have mental problems to just go lashing out at women like that. Galway can't bow down to this carry on, unprovoked attacks are totally unwanted in the city. I have never had any real bother in all my years in Galway, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Jesus that's shocking. Hope your girlfriend is OK wompa, at least that physco was caught and is off the streets

Funk It wrote: »
    This is shocking stuff, really sorry to hear about this. The guy must have mental problems to just go lashing out at women like that. Galway can't bow down to this carry on, unprovoked attacks are totally unwanted in the city. I have never had any real bother in all my years in Galway, thank god.

Talked to the Gardaí and it was 5 women, not 7 like the Garda said yesterday. The guy does have mental issues. Girlfriend is ok, face is a bit sore and she's pretty scared about walking in town now, which is no good since she doesn't drive and works in the city.

What can you say really? Don't walk down quiet roads or alleys, never walk alone, avoid walking after dark...it was bright, on a main road and she was with a friend. Will try and convince her to get some self defense training...that's all that's left really!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Talked to the Gardaí and it was 5 women, not 7 like the Garda said yesterday. The guy does have mental issues. Girlfriend is ok, face is a bit sore and she's pretty scared about walking in town now, which is no good since she doesn't drive and works in the city.

What can you say really? Don't walk down quiet roads or alleys, never walk alone, avoid walking after dark...it was bright, on a main road and she was with a friend. Will try and convince her to get some self defense training...that's all that's left really!

That and maybe a better healthcare system that cuts down on the number of people who are a danger to themselves and others, wandering about untreated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Eman Resu wrote: »
    That and maybe a better healthcare system that cuts down on the number of people who are a danger to themselves and others, wandering about untreated.

Excellent point.
    Since in-patient beds in psychiatric hospitals were decimated in the '90's these people are ending up in prison.
    They're not criminals, they're sick people & prison is no place for them.
    They deserve better, as does society at large.
    That being said, i believe theres only one way to deal with bullies, ie a dose of their own medicine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hope your girlfriend is OK Wompa.

Hopefully she can get her confidence back soon.

Zillah wrote: »
    Er...what?
    Derren Brown, actually :)

Essentially it comes down to Game Theory. When you are approached by someone wanting to beat you up, they want to beat you up. Now 99% of people react either by fighting back, running away, or just taking the beating. But if you say something to confuse them, then you manipulate them. :)

Apologies, back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Thats disgraceful op. I cant imagine how shook your poor gf must have been. :( did this happen in bohermore by any chance?

Asmodean wrote: »
    Thats disgraceful op. I cant imagine how shook your poor gf must have been. :( did this happen in bohermore by any chance?

One of the attacks was out in Bohermore I believe, I think another one in Eyre Square too. Not sure where all the others happened. Pretty messed up it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Really sorry to hear that your gf got attacked random attacks like that leave you wondering 'why was it me, what could I have different etc'.

But the attack was just that, a random attack by a person who you would assume has issues either mental health or drink/drugs. Your thread title of warning to be extra vigilent in town is a little misleading as the culprit has been apprehended and hopefully is being treated in the appropriate manner.
    One of the big downsides of the internet/increased media is the increase in people feeling 'disproportionally' at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Webbs wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that your gf got attacked random attacks like that leave you wondering 'why was it me, what could I have different etc'.

But the attack was just that, a random attack by a person who you would assume has issues either mental health or drink/drugs. Your thread title of warning to be extra vigilent in town is a little misleading as the culprit has been apprehended and hopefully is being treated in the appropriate manner.
    One of the big downsides of the internet/increased media is the increase in people feeling 'disproportionally' at risk.

The warning is right on!!, raceweek is upon us and all sorts of dodgys are at large, I just posted about my young fella being pickpocketed. Gardaí are under alot of pressure this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Jes that's disgraceful. There are some amount of psychos walking around the streets of Ireland. And if this happened to me, i know i wouldn't feel like walking around the city again. Hope they caught him.
    I often walk alone back to my apartment in city centre, but i'll think twice about it now, especially in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was in work in bohermore when one of the attacks happened. A customer came in off the street to tell us some girl had just been punched for no reason. One of my colleagues went out to help but the girl was already on the way to the station in a squad car that herself and a passerby had flagged down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Two frends of mine who are well able to take care of themselves were walking home from a pub a few months back (not in Galway city) and were set upon by seven little sh*ts in a pure random attack and got a right beating. Can't convince either of them to go up town for a pint anymore which is terrible. I know this is no comfort to OP but it is shocking the impact such an ordeal can have. Will keep trying though.

Advertisement